Hokuspokulus
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During our campaign, my girlfriend (playing Ayla) and I (playing Seidr) encountered a problem that seems to be common. Our Runner felt like she was in a disadvantageous position which got worse as the campaign progressed. In our case we were able to pinpoint two reasons for that:

1) The Corp's economy is much better due to lots of good econ cards to choose from.
2) The Runner's Caution effects are harsher, especially in combination with the already weaker economy of the Runner.

Luckily, we found workarounds for both problems which up to now work quite well for us:

1) We added three copies each of "Dirty Laundry" and "Daily Casts" (both from "Creation and Control") to the Runner's pool of available cards, giving her two good neutral options for economy.
2) We toned down one of the Runner's caution effects:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The effect that the Runner has to make one run per turn we changed into: If you haven't made a run during your turn, place a status counter on this effect. If, at the end of your turn, there's a status counter on this effect, open X. (whichever package it is)

Those two changes had an instant effect and led to much tighter and more interesting games. We have yet to see if they mean any decisive advantage for the runner with any other combination of identities. But for now, as pointed out, they make the campaign feel much more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on how this worked out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kitcat
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting, thanks. I'm intending to give the game a try this weekend & would appreciate any feedback you can give.

Also, referencing the Runner's caution,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
do you mean if the counter is there at the end of their turn or rather at the end of the game? It may be obvious from the sticker, but I haven't opened any of the packs yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OneArmedSorcerer wrote:
1) We added three copies each of "Dirty Laundry" and "Daily Casts" (both from "Creation and Control") to the Runner's pool of available cards, giving her two good neutral options for economy.
That seems like a good start, but from the reviews I got the impression, that you'll still have the runaway leader problem, because the first player to complete an objective is granted an overpowered ability that makes it more likely she'll win the next game, too.

Since reviewers are reluctant to spoil the special abilities that players are granted by completing their objectives I'm not sure how they look like, but I had the idea that instead of being a permanent effect, maybe a player had to decide whether to activate it for a given game, and once used, it wouldn't apply in any future games.

While I'm quite interested in getting the cards, I'm not really interested in buying the box just for that. I want the campaign model to work! Unfortunately, I haven't yet seen many good ideas on how to improve it. There has to be some way to make this a fun experience for both players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hokuspokulus
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An update to my original post:

We are currently in the middle of a new campaign. I play Steve, my girlfriend plays Scorpios. We made two observations, which we both agree upon.

1) I'm having the same experience as she had in the Ayla/Seidr matchup with regard to runner economy. We didn't include the proposed combination of Daily Casts and Dirty Laundry from the start because I wanted to test myself how the game plays without them. Result: You are constantly short on money to a degree that it is just frustrating, even as a criminal. And that is with a deck containing Account Siphon, Bank Job, Easy Mark, Sure Gamble, Desperado, Modded, Armitage and Process Automation. The reason is that due to my GFs playstyle I could almost never use Account Siphon and Bank Job (HQ well defended, no external servers) and the corp's economy cards are much more powerful plus you also get a runner effect which punishes you for spending too much money. After including Dirty Laundry and Daily Casts the whole game felt much more fair.

2) There definitely is an imbalance between the runner's and the corp's campaign effects, both the good ones and the bad ones. The runner's bad effects are more harsh than the corp's ones and the runner's rewards are less useful. By now my GF has successfully included her two bonus cards multiple times while I have removed mine from my deck and I'm basically back to playing with the standards cards since its most effective.

So to answer the questions: I'd definitely stick to including the aforementioned cards from Creation and Control. If you feel they could be too powerful, include at least one and make the other one available to the runner after he/she has opened their first package.

With regard to game imbalance there isn't much to do other than to accept it and try to work with some houserules. Some combinations of identities may work better than others but there's a risk that you run into a runaway leader situation. Knowing this, I'd highly recommend not destroying any cards and not actually using any stickers (we did at the start but stopped that rather quickly). You can play the game perfectly fine by leaving the stickers on their sheets and just placing those next to your play area. All the cards you gain during the campaign are numbered. This allows you to play the campaign, reset it after you're done and play it again.

With regard to the runner's caution: I mean at the end of the turn, not the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.