Chad Carlson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not following how purchasing this game "supports a rapist." The man discussed in the article was accused of sexual assault (groping not rape) and seems to be not involved with the production of this game at all. Am I misunderstanding something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
Alkmaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I am considering getting a copy of this, since I backed Who Goes There, but you seriously took the effort here to brand the designer Joe Van Wetering, the artists Justin Erickson and Mark Simpson, and the entire team of employees of Mondo (which the individuals you mentioned are not a part of) with all this?

Fine you decided to cancel your order or whatsoever, but initiating a witch hunt here at BGG to undo the precious work of aforementioned is quite lousy in my opinion. And in all fairness I do not think that is something that the victim really wants either, but that is just merely my personal opinion.

You got to separate the wheat from the chaff. I welcome any BGG Admin to close this thread right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Berry
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck in your slander lawsuit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG used to be my social refuge from trolls, thread brigading, intolerance, politics, and social justice warriors. I'm sure it existed before, but now it's spilling over into BGG threads all over. The escapism BGG offered has ended for me this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buchold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
CyberGarp wrote:
BGG used to be my social refuge from trolls, thread brigading, intolerance, politics, and social justice warriors. I'm sure it existed before, but now it's spilling over into BGG threads all over. The escapism BGG offered has ended for me this year.

Sad, but true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Marshall Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're still here for you.

Here, have a kitten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
jbgandalf wrote:
Quote:
Defamation is an area of law that provides a civil remedy when someone's words end up causing harm to your reputation or your livelihood. Libel is a written or published defamatory statement, while slander is defamation that is spoken by the defendant.

/pedant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
Everything is connected. You cannot separate your life from social justice. That simply isn't how the world works. Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Converse
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot I won't let you separate your life from social justice. That simply isn't how I want the world works to work. (Not) Sorry!

FIFY
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Leggett
United States
Lawrenceville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
philosoph0123 wrote:
You cannot I won't let you separate your life from social justice. That simply isn't how I want the world works to work. (Not) Sorry!

FIFY

If you want to be a member of a society, the minimum requirement for that is following the rules designed to prevent people from Being Jerks to other members of the society, and following the rules that promote the growth of the society.

That's not an orwellian crackdown, that's fostering a culture of being a good citizen and being welcoming to outsiders.

It is impossible to separate being a contributing member of society from promoting and furthering a just society.

You can have a discussion about what "just" looks like, but you cannot expect to be included in the one and reject the other without getting pushback from other members.

This is basic human relations. You wanna play in the sandbox, you gotta share the toys and not throw sand in people's eyes, or you get kicked out of the sandbox, because it's not there just for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
jbgandalf wrote:
Quote:
Defamation is an area of law that provides a civil remedy when someone's words end up causing harm to your reputation or your livelihood. Libel is a written or published defamatory statement, while slander is defamation that is spoken by the defendant.

/pedant.

I learned this from the Spiderman movies. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Converse
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...and I thought that the default was that I was a member of society and would only be removed therefrom by breaking laws.

There is no right to be protected from "jerks", except insofar as such "jerkiness" involves physical assault or other forms of immanent endangerment.

And there is no necessary link between being a contributing member of society and promoting a "just" society (I include the quotes because without a definition of justice, your words are simply emotive, not informative).

Question -- do you believe that speech itself should be legally restricted so that "hate" speech is illegal? Honestly curious here, I'm not certain what your position would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
godhelpme89 wrote:
CyberGarp wrote:

Sad, but true.

I actually find the majority of the forums here on BGG pretty clear of the nonsense you see around most of the net, except for RSP, which this thread is undoubtedly heading for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.