Popular Tags: [View All]
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am enjoying wargaming, and more specifically GMT wargaming more and more. The games I enjoy the most are all the COIN titles, Pericles, Paths of Glory and the US Civil War. I found the US Civil War the most challenging by far, but have loved it and am fortunate enough to have a big gaming table at the back of the lounge where I can leave games set up over a week or so. Plus, I play 90% solitaire quite happily.

USE looks fabulous. The map is incredible, what I have read makes the game sound immensely enjoyable and full of good decisions. I am sorely tempted by the reprint as my next purchase.

But... is it too much. I think this would be the most complex and time consuming game I would own - which does not put me off complexity wise, but rather the 60 hours playtime? Is that really accurate for me on my own playing through? That does put me off a little. Vassal is out, I am not looking at screens for pleasure. But would playing a couple of hours, 4 or 5 nights a week really take 2 or 3 months? Just worried this is too much for what I describe as a medium weight gamer (which is disappointing if it is, as it just looks a stunning game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played and own (or owned) each of the games you mention. USE is no more complex than US Civil War. The full campaign is in the 50-60 hour range, but there are many shorter scenarios included with the game. I think it's a great game. It replaced Rise and Decline of the Third Reich for me as my top strategic, European theater, WWII game which I wasn't convinced would ever happen. The flow of play becomes intuitive quite quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - you don't have to play all 60 hours at once, and there are many shorter scenarios that are engaging and can be played in one to two evenings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a long game and there are a number of different scenarios. Most of them are more in the nature of learning scenarios, although the Med scenario has some good replayability. The different campaign starts can help you tailor the game length somewhat, although by their nature turns in 1944 can be much longer than those earlier in the war, if only from the number of units on the map. If you want the entire war in 20 hours, you will simply need another game. USE is great at what it does and the mechanics aren't difficult once you have picked them up, but it is not a short game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can handle US Civil war, USE would be no problem at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it mainly to play the shorter scenarios, and maybe some of the late war starts solo. If I fall in love with the system, I'm going to try to come up with some AI systems for it. Not sure if it will ever get past general guidelines, but might be fun to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
smittyohio wrote:
I bought it mainly to play the shorter scenarios, and maybe some of the late war starts solo. If I fall in love with the system, I'm going to try to come up with some AI systems for it. Not sure if it will ever get past general guidelines, but might be fun to try.

Have fun playing.

If you do fall in love with it, I'd interested in what AI systems you come up with.

Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.