Subject: Experince and leveling in a Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Dunn
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not get the KS campaign book but would like to run a campaign.

My Question is, I have downloaded the campaign sheet but it does not explain how you level up?

So how does experience work? I can see that you gain 1 XP for falling enemies (as written on the sheet), so how much do you need to level up to the next level?

Also what as the Hero and/or the Overlord do you gain for each level? (is it more crystals and if yes how many?)

Thanks for any help or Variants people have used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign is tied to specific characters (Amra, Zelata, Savage Belit and N'gora) who gain new set skills as they level up.
In order to run your own campaign you would need to either emulate or replace that system.
XP can also be spent on 'group' gems for the heroes and gems that count double for the overlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dunn
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

So no set rules, just have to set scenarios and give thematic rewards /skills as scenarios require for completion

Will give this a try.

My group love imperial assault and its thematic campaign system, so want to try Conan as they like the skirmish/scenario gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
Each hero needs 20xp to level up. The Overlord needs 15xp to gain a blue gem which is worth 2 red gems when spent. The problem you are going to run into though is the scenarios in the campaign book are different from those in the standard game. The campaign book also came with equipment that is unique. I do however have the heroes leveling system written down as I made a reference guide for my players.

Savage Belit
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Swim = You can move into water areas. Moving out of water costs one extra movement.
Ambidextrous = When this character performs a melee attack, the character can choose to use two of their 1-handed weapon cards to attack with. (2 or less weight)
Evasive = Ignore extra movement cost for moving past enemy characters. Ignore body blocking.
Leap = Scenario dependent. Spent 2 movement points to roll 1 red die. Roll higher than scenario requirement.
Attack from Beyond = When you die, immediately preform a free out of turn attack with 3 red dice to a figure in your space. This attack does not benefit from weapon bonuses and these dice may not be rerolled.
-=-
LVL1= Gain Lock picking (+1 Red Dice) and Climb (Scenario Dependent)
LVL2= Gain Leadership and a Body Guard
LVL3= Gain a 2nd Bodyguard

N’Gora
Swim = You can move into water areas. Moving out of water costs one extra movement.
Leap = Scenario dependent. Spent 2 movement points to roll 1 red die. Roll higher than scenario requirement.
Climb = Scenario dependent.
Elite Shooter = Ignore Hindering when you make a ranged attack and Ignore Protected.
Bodyguard = When a friendly character in your space defends, you can parry (weapon permitting) the attack instead. Add your parry result to their defense power.
-=-
LVL1 = Gain Reach – You can attack an enemy in an adjacent space as long as there are no blocking terrain features. (Doors, walls, flaps, etc.)
LVL2 = Gain Precision Shot – When you perform a ranged attack, ignore one armor from the defender.
LVL3 = Gain Leadership and a Bodyguard.

Zelata
Spell Caster = You can have and use spells. If you lose spell casting due to encumbrance, spells already in effect remain active for their specified duration.
Concentration = Your dice rolls are not affected by hindering.
Support = Friendly characters (Heroes and Allies) in your area (including you) can reroll one die for free for any action. (Exception, Jinx)
Alchemy = Scenario Dependent.
Leadership = While in the active stance, you may move 1 gem from your reserve to your fatigue zone to activate an ally tile (1 gem = 1 model). Each ally model can only be activated once per round. This figure may move up to its default speed and preform one attack. Regardless of stance, you may spend gems to roll defense for an ally in any space. (1 gem = 1 orange die) (Heroes are not allies)
-=-
LVL0 = 3 Spells – Set’s Halo, Borne by the Wind, Bori’s Rage
LVL1= Mitra’s Halo, Borne by the Wind, Bori’s Rage
LVL2= Mitra’s Halo, Teleportation, Bori’s Rage, You get your wolf.
LVL3= Mitra’s Halo, Teleportation, Lightning Storm, Wolf has two HP.

Amra (Conan)
Concentration = Your dice rolls are not affected by hindering.
Leadership = While in the active stance, you may move 1 gem from your reserve to your fatigue zone to activate an ally tile (1 gem = 1 model). Each ally model can only be activated once per round. This figure may move up to its default speed and preform one attack. Regardless of stance, you may spend gems to roll defense for an ally in any space. (1 gem = 1 orange die) (Heroes are not allies)
Counterattack = If you are attacked by a figure in your space with a melee weapon, after the attack is resolved, counterattack by rolling a single Red Die. This attack is free and cannot be modified or rerolled. Counter attacks can be defended against as normal. Counter attacks cannot trigger counterattacks.
-=-
LVL1 = Gain Climb and Wall Wrecker - Spend 2 movement points to move through a wall. Place wrecked wall token on wall. From now on the two areas are adjacent and have line of sight. Stone walls cannot be wrecked.
LVL2 = Gain Circular Strike = Resolve a normal attack with a two handed melee weapon (3+ Encumbrance). Any damage left over after your target defends is applied to another enemy in the same space. This enemy may defend as normal. Continue until all damage has been applied.
LVL3 = You get your Lion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Lukan
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I play both Conan and Imperial Assault and I really think they did an excellent job with the campaign in Conan. One thing I really like is that it's not always just whether you win or lose that decides the next mission. For example, if the heroes win the first mission they have a choice of which path to follow to continue their investigation and that leads to two different missions. Another thing I really like is that one of the two ending missions has the possibility of a partial victory, which takes the sting out of one bad game ruining the campaign.

Keep in mind, there is less customization in the Conan campaign. You always gain the same skills in the same order when leveling up, and what special gear you get is both at the mercy of a random draw and also if you happen to get the missions that allow you access to the special gear deck. That said, I absolutely love the special gear deck, which has boots that give +1 base move, a sledgehammer that grants the Wall Wrecker skill, and a sword that grants the Counter-attack skill. I thought that was really clever. IA players used to spending XP and credits on exactly what they want for the next mission may be disappointed though. Likewise, one mission at the end allows a monster who survived an earlier encounter to show up again, which is about the only customization the Overlord/Imperial is going to get as far as "choosing deployment cards" goes in this campaign. I don't think this is a limitation though, and just think it makes it easier to run and keep track of things.

With all that said, I absolutely think the core Conan campaign rules could be used to run additional campaigns. I'd love to see someone design a mini-campaign for this purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.