Subject: What to buy to get started? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert D

Delaware
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have played the original Zombicide before and enjoyed the game. I have decided to start into Zombicide with Black Plague. I know that there are lot of options to buy into but I don't want to get everything, just what I should need to enjoy the game. That said, if anything, what else should I need besides the base game?

-Left

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulfsburg, Crowz, Deadeye Walkers.
Those will give you LOTS of options.

Then I'd get the big Abominations. All that should hold you a good while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
mbmbmbmbmb
I think BP is different enough from moderncide that it is fine to have just BP retail with no add-ons. The necros add a new challenge to the game that makes up for not having those different zombie breeds (beserk, toxic, skinner, etc).

If you feel like you must get some add-ons then I'd recommend deadeye archers before anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadeyes are probably the enemy type that change gameplay the most, but Wolfsberg has a much wider range of stuff - new tiles, quests, equipment, and a new enemy type.

I'd start with the base game by itself- it's still a really solid product without any add-ons, and that will tell you how much appeal it's going to have for you. If it's a big hit, and you want to expand it, then I'd go Wolfsburg and Dead-eyes, in that order. After that, if you still want to keep expanding, Zombie Bosses to make things harder, or NPCs to make things easier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Its.. MY TRACKING NUMBER!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Deadeye Walkers are notoriously difficult to find affordably these days at retail; these, the Adrian Smith box and NPC-2's.

Deadeye's are definitely getting a reprint as can be seen with the GH Kickstarter though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nothing. Just play the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play the base game solo and have a great time. Sometimes I add an NPC pack, usually don't. And I do have 1 guest hero box that came with a necro I sometimes will change out the base necro for but mainly to give variety when people heros to play.

I also play with a friend that backed the KS and has every bit that's available.

Both games play completely different.

The base game, I find more enjoyable as an adventure, going through the story of the quests, uses the different heros just to change it up since I do play with all six so they can get repetitive after a few loses. The game feels more intense actually and a little more difficult. It tends to ramp up over the course of the game and you may find yourself getting overrun late.

With all the goodies, it tends to be more of a "let's kill some zombies" more of a romp. Still fun, but for every "harder enemy" you have better weapons in the search deck and heros that start off with higher powered states. You tend to start in the thick of things with more challenges right off the bat but you tend to be more able to handle them.

Difficulty also depends on how you play. Do you camp out and search and search the same rooms until everyone is fully loaded. This method is popular but doesn't feel natural to me. Do you pass the torch around to allow each person to find two items. Do you pass weapons around in a single turn when attacking zombies to kill more? That also doesn't feel natural to me.

That being said there's no one way to play it so it's really easy to find ways that you do enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert D

Delaware
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses. I truly appreciate everyone of you for taking the time to respond.

I think I will try out the game with just the basics and use your suggestions to go on from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SHAWN HUMPHREY
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
My personal recommendations to get started would be:

Base Game
Wulfsburg
Hero Box 1
Murder of Crowz
Special Guest box: Carl Crichtlow

This set up will get you 18 heroes, 65 zombies, 21 Crowz, 18 Wolfz, the Abominawolf and two Necromancers for minis. You will also get extra starting equipment (Hero box 1), really great treasure cards (Wulfsburg, love the Chaos Longbow). The Wolfz and Crowz really change up the game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Tang
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Z:BP a few months ago to play with my friends (3 player, 2 heroes ea.) I also got Wulfsburg, 3 guest boxes, Abmoniation bosses and some KSE off eBay. However, we have lots of fun with just the base game so far. But since you're a Zombicide veteran, maybe you won't mind adding more abominations. My friends are still worry about adding abominations. I'll give them until I finish painting them, then I'll add them ready or not

I don't think the quests in base game is designed with Wulfsburg stuff in mind, so I wouldn't add them until you're playing Wulfsburg quests (I thought the equipment were OP for core quests).

Deadeyes are a strong recommendation from lots of folks, but way too expensive on eBay. (I have it pledged on Z:GH)

I have not added Necromancers either (though I have 2 from the guest boxes). I'm not sure about them, because everyone seems to hate the cabel rule. And if I am to add them, I will be using the cabel rule (I don't believe in house-ruling out difficult parts)

I would worry too much about additional heroes. In fact, I've seen a lot of complaints during Z:GH that they don't want yet another Hero stretch goal that they are not going to use. Personally, I like heroes because they are the fun minis to paint (Zombie are so mind-numbing to paint). If you're a painter, get more guest boxes!

Unless you are getting some kind of deal getting a bunch of stuff together, why not just start with Core box? Maybe Fantasy setting is not your cup of tea and it's easier to offload a single box rather than a bunch of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Griner
United States
Byron
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
First Day!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my recommendations...

Wulfsburg: 4 additional Survivors and dashboards (for up to 10 players), additional weapons, tower tiles, including magical weapons, zombie wolfz and the Wolfbomination.

Hero Set 1: 5 Additional survivors with 2 extra dashboards (For up to 12 players), and extra starting weapons.

Deadeye Walkers: Ranged-based skeletal zombies to make games more challenging.

Murder of Crowz: Zombie Birds that can do a three-zone move action (they still have only one action per activation), and can bypass closed doors to reach survivors.

Zombie Bosses: 3 monstrous Abominations to make games more challenging.
(Tip: Use only ONE of these Abominations per game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digitarii wrote:
Special Guest box: Carl Crichtlow

2 of those survivors are OP though. The Naiade box has three really good survivors (and one mediocre one). Ostokar can also be used as a Necromancer and has a really cool mechanic when he gets an extra activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmb
To get started really just get the base game. It has everything you need to have lots of fun.

Then after a few games you will be tempted to buy every expansion and you should do that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Tannahill
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Base game is fine. I pretty quickly bought Hero Box 1 to give us more Survivor options, and I feel like that's going to be enough for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettore Cavalieri
Brazil
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Everyone have given you very good advices which I fully agree! What would I add:

Stick with the core box and play the 10 first missions with it. By that point the game will be about to lose a bit of it's original excitement. You will have played the core heroes quite a lot and Will have realized that some of the last missions are not as hard as expected because you only have one abomination(beeing denied from dragon bile and torchs would be way harder if there was more abominations lurking around)

When that happen! Get Wolfsburg! It's an amazing addition! Some people can argue that it comes with very strong weaponry which makes the game easy, I say they make the game much fun because the only really strong weapon, independent of any luck or characther building up, is the Vampiric Crossbow.
You have Chaos Longbow that depends on you having 4 out of 4 dices hit! That generate a lot of expectation over each turn! And build hard situations when you really depend on that result.
You have Earthquake Hammer, which depends on you rolling 6 on the dice. And so many others that doesn't just give you their advantages for free!
You have itens which adds skills and change some of the gameplay! Even though they are strong, they make you play differently.

You could, at the same time, add the bosses pack. People say: Don't add all the bosses at the same time, or, don't add all the bosses card ate the same time. Screw with that!, it will be hard to houserule and deny people from trading the torch for extra searches, or forcing everyone not to prepare for the hard guys, the games gets nicer when you can fight! It's frustrating to have 3 abomination on board and no way to kill them at all. So do it and add all the hardness the game can give you!
I always play with all the abomination bosses card on the pile and it makes everything more exciting by the time you reach yellow danger level. The game is supposed to push you really hard! That's where part of the fun comes from!
And having to wait the whole core box campaing to have all these changes increases a lot of the game replayability! By the time you add these stuff you will begin to love the game as much as you did in the first missions!

So my advice is:

-Play the whole core box campaing, lose some maps, retry! Do the most of it!

After that pick what you are going to do
-Wolfsburg
-Bosses pack
-Deadeye Walkers

I wouldn't buy heroes box, the 4 extra from wulfsburg are enough
I wouldn't buy the NPC pack, the only thing that seens to really matter on it are the new Vault Itens, nobody likes the rule that adds more "walkers" it makes the game easier and you don't want that, try to get other language cards with someone or print them yourself

I don't see much people saying that the CrowZ makes much of a difference in the gameplay as well...

That's my piece of advice to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ziruga wrote:

So my advice is:

-Play the whole core box campaing, lose some maps, retry! Do the most of it!

After that pick what you are going to do
-Wulfsburg
-Bosses pack
-Deadeye Walkers

+1.

Core bow then Wulfsburg for the new heroes, new ennemies, new tiles, new equipment and new missions.

Then in any order, Bosses Pack and Deadeye walkers. Bosses pack for the increased difficulty that will balance the heavy weapons from Wulfsburg. Deadeye walkers for the new gameplay with ranged attacks.

Crowz: they just slow down the Survivors movements.
NPCs bring a very poor mechanism. The main interest is the new vault weapons but you can live without that. Also, with specific minis, NPCs permit to create Quests with a bit of immersion by having a context align with the minis (a Quest with the priests, or with the dancers, etc.) But definitively not a must have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.