Subject: Looking for a pet Kraken ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like krakens in general, and the one in King of Tokyo was my favourite monster. But I only managed to get the second edition base game and expansion, and the 2. ed. base game gets rid of the Kraken in favour of the Space Penguin (bleh !). The 2. ed. expansion does come with the evolution cards for the Kraken, so all I need is the Kraken board and stand.
Does anyone know where I could find one ? I've seen some people on eBay selling some 1. ed. KoT components separately, but no Kraken.
Anyone here who's not using the game anymore that would maybe be willing to part with their Kraken ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
I'd hold off. Chance they re-release it as an independent monster like they've done with Cthulhu and are doing for King Kong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt that very much. Those monsters didn't appear in the base game while the Kraken did. And besides they're marketing Ctulhu as sort of a replacement for the Kraken (not good enough for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Murphy
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
You could just use the space penguin and say its the kraken of course, but if you're specifically interested in using the image of the kraken on your figure and board then you really just need to print a photograph and cut it out. Glue it onto some card and you're fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem you run into with seeking to pluck any single character from a copy of the game is that it significantly drops the value of the game, even to the point of making it unsalable/untradable. Few are willing to do that, but you're in the right place. This is a world-wide community after all. Though seeking a full copy of the 1st edition is my recommendation. I would have been happy to accommodate you just a couple of months ago, as I had a second unplayed copy of the 1st edition that I had acquired at a yard sale. After holding onto it for a while as a "back-up," I opted to put it up for sale on Craigslist. I was hard-pressed to get $15 out of it, and that after having it listed for a couple of months already in the Kansas City area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Then there's the issue of Kraken PowerUp cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Strayer
msg tools
drneau wrote:
Then there's the issue of Kraken PowerUp cards...

No there isn't, as the OP wrote, the Kraken PowerUp cards are INCLUDED in the 2nd Edition PowerUp expansion pack (which he already has)... not an issue.

To the original question, I agree with a previous poster that if you really want the Kraken (and they won't re-release the Kraken, Cthulu was as close as you'll get), you just need to pony-up and buy the 1st Edition, steal Kraken and Cyber Bunny, then pass on the now-4-player 1st Edition set to a friend or family you know that doesn't have KoT at all... that's EXACTLY what I did... I bought 2nd Ed (and 2nd Ed PowerUp), stole the two monsters from 1st Edition, then passed the remaining (but still very playable) KoT 1st Edition to a family we're friends with.

Everybody wins, and you get what you want... may cost a few extra bucks, but if your heart is set on Kraken, it's really the best way... just search E-Bay for a used copy of 1st Edition... the longer you wait, the more the price will go up as supplies of 1st Edition dwindle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. ed. base game copies are already almost impossible to find, and expensive. There is a guy currently selling only the monsters (boards and standups) for 24$ on eBay atm (not counting shipping, if he even ships abroad), but spending that much just for one dear monster is too much.
I do remember seeing ads for individual KoT monsters (or maybe just the Kraken) on eBay for something like 7-8$ (I think), but that was already sold by the time I saw it...

Btw if someone reading this also likes Krakens, maybe you should check these out :

Cyclades

A Touch of Evil (The Coast expansion) :

Beware of the Lighthouse, where the Kraken lurks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Strayer
msg tools
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
1. ed. base game copies are already almost impossible to find, and expensive. There is a guy currently selling only the monsters (boards and standups) for 24$ on eBay atm (not counting shipping, if he even ships abroad), but spending that much just for one dear monster is too much.

Here's the reality... sometimes what you wish for either doesn't exist or isn't out there.

You know, I'd like a Lamborghini but I don't want to pay more than $1,000... then someone points out I should look online and I say "I can't find any for $1,000"... the reality is, what I'm looking for doesn't exist. I'm either going to have to pay more for a Lamborghini than I originally wanted, or I'm going to have to give up my thought of having one.

1st Edition is now out of print... and the longer you wait, its only going to become more rare and higher in price to get your hands on either the whole thing or any components of it.

I mentioned finding individual monsters is going to be hard to find (and if you do, they'll be gone almost instantly)... finding the base came for $24 is actually not uncommon at all, that's roughly on the lower-end of what to expect to pay. If you don't want to pay more than $10 for the monster or whole game, its like me wanting a $1,000 Lamborghini... you'll have to adjust your expectations or pay more... wait another year from now, the lowest will probably be twice that. I mentioned if you buy the whole game, you will get both the Kraken and the Cyber Bunny... if you really ONLY want the Kraken, you can probably recoup at least half your cost by reselling the Cyber Bunny, which will probably command a decent price (for there are people out there like you who may only want Cyber Bunny). For that matter, you can buy the whole game for $30, and sell each monster separately (aside from Kraken) and make your money (or most of it) back. Of course the Cyber Bunny and Kraken are worth more than the others for obvious reasons.

I paid something similar to what you mentioned (around $24 give or take a few bucks) for the full used 1st Edition... I took both Cyber Bunny and Kraken for myself and gave the rest to friends... that came out to around $12 bucks or so per monster that I otherwise would never have, and I helped out a friends family with a game they enjoy... win/win for the price of a night out to eat.

Bottom line, I doubt you're going to find Kraken sold alone for $5 somewhere (if you do, you're very lucky)... you're going to have to pony-up for the full used 1st Edition, or you're just going to not have the Kraken... to be fair, I don't think I'm getting my $1,000 Lamborghini either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could find a used 1. ed. for 20-30$ like you did maybe I'd take that opportunity. But they cost more here when they were easily available, and would likely be a lot more now, and more to the point I don't see any on eBay at any price right now.
As for your Lamborghini - I feel for you pal ! I too would love to have one - preferably a Diablo... But there actually is one relatively simple way to get a brand new Lamborghini for under 1000$ - steal it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
The new version has only been out for a year, pretty sure there are still a load of copies in smaller game shops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I found a copy in Barnes & Noble, they had a copy of 1st and a copy of 2nd, both at normal retail price.

I scooped up the 1st edition and left the 2nd for the losers. The new monsters are el stinko.

I would check small shops that carry stuff like that and there is bound to be some 1st editions just gathering dust. Good luck!!

FYI, Amazon-US has them for $60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwagner wrote:

I found a copy in Barnes & Noble, they had a copy of 1st and a copy of 2nd, both at normal retail price.

I scooped up the 1st edition and left the 2nd for the losers.

Well good for you that you found a 1st edition copy, but why are you mocking those not so lucky !? That's pretty rude.

As for Amazon, most of those sellers don't ship internationally and often don't really have stuff in stock when you ask them. And I'm not going to pay 100$ for one creature...

Who knows, maybe the publishers will come to their senses and start selling separate creatures, like Matagot sells the minis from Cyclades and Kemet on their site...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Lafuma
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just saw two copies of the first edition last night at two separate locations. GM me, as I know you are quite a bit away from the USA but if your Willing to purchase game I can "Kraken" it open and ship just the kraken to you so shipping won't be insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.