Subject: components question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
1. The normal punch out components listed are 15 doors, whereas the doors and bridges pack has 3 sets of 5 different types of doors. Its still 15 so do the different types of doors mean anything or are they just for "decoration"? If they o mean something then why arent the 15 on the punch board different types?

2. The book lists 2 artifact tokens 1 Library token and between the picture of those two tokens is a 3rd token that isnt named. I have 3 of the unnamed tokens is that correct? Also what is the unnamed token?

3. The chest and pillars pack comes with 15 normal chests but the punch board has 30.. Why is that? Are they saying that youd NEVER use 30 chests in a singe game (unless you did some uber user created epic quest)? If thats the case then why even give us 30 punch board chests instead of just 15 like the 3D chest pack?

Basically the point of these questions is to determine if I can throw away all my punch boar stuff and replace them with the plastic token pack and the 3D chests/pillars/doors/bridges. Thanks in advanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found the need for more than 15 chests, and the doors being 3 different types is entirely cosmetic.

The extra token is a 'Lair' token.

Toss the punch board I say. I have both packs, and they replace all the punch board without issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Should there only be 3 lair tokens? And why is there no mention of them in the manual? (at least not the components list)?

Something else I noticed, the punchout treasure chests have a ? symbol on the back whereas the 3D chests obviously do not. Does that symbol mean anything? i.e any reason Id keep the punch outs if I have the 3D?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:
Should there only be 3 lair tokens? And why is there no mention of them in the manual? (at least not the components list)?

Something else I noticed, the punchout treasure chests have a ? symbol on the back whereas the 3D chests obviously do not. Does that symbol mean anything? i.e any reason Id keep the punch outs if I have the 3D?

Look through the quests in the back of the rulebook. All the tokens used are there, and named. You don't need more than what's in the 3D and plastic token packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only 3 lair tokens as shown on page 3 with all other components. They're also mentioned on page 37 and in many quests.

The ? symbols are used in some quests, such as Quest 5 where they represent fireworks.

I don't know that I'd throw out the punchboard as much as just set it aside just in case stuff on it is used in the future. I believe the only thing missing from the plastic tokens/ 3D components is curved bridges and the ? tokens though so it's about a 95% replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Unless curved bridges is something completely different, the 3D doors and bridges pack have 2 bridges which is the exact number of punchboard bridges. Also could I just use a 3d chest in the place of a ? Item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curved bridges are exactly what you think they are: bridges with a 90 degree turn. That would make them different than the bridges in the 3D pack, which do not have a turn. The 2 bridge tiles from the core box are double sided: one side is straight, one side is curved. The 3D bridges are, for obvious reasons, not double sided.

I'd use something other than a 3D chest in place of a ? token as it'd probably be easy to mix the two up. If you're adamant about throwing away the punchboard, you could probably use coins or buttons or any other type of token you have lying around though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:
...Snip...

...Basically the point of these questions is to determine if I can throw away all my punch boar stuff and replace them with the plastic token pack and the 3D chests/pillars/doors/bridges. Thanks in advanced

I would suggest keeping the punch-board Tokens *IF* you are a gamer with a good library of games. As an example, I have a modest library of games and I tend to "Collect" extra components and such because they can sometimes be useful in other games as substitute markers and the like.

If, on the other hand, you are a minimalist always on the look out for opportunities to reduce clutter and keep your Feng Shui Freak-flag Flying, I'd say it's safe to discard the unused cardboard, with the notable and already discussed, exception of the cardboard bridges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why in the world would you throw away all of the cardboard tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe someday someone crazy enough will make a custom Quest which use all 15 tiles (normal + crystal + lava), 15 Level tokens, a few ? tokens (on treasure back side), straight and curved bridges, 6 lairs and a handful of doors (mixing up cardboard and plastic tokens).

Maybe you'll have enough time, space and motivation to try it.

Maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DummySphere wrote:
Maybe someday someone crazy enough will make a custom Quest which use all 15 tiles (normal + crystal + lava), 15 Level tokens, a few ? tokens (on treasure back side), straight and curved bridges, 6 lairs and a handful of doors (mixing up cardboard and plastic tokens).

Maybe you'll have enough time, space and motivation to try it.

Maybe.

Tell me when you get that quest done Julien. I anxiously await.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.