Popular Tags: [View All]
Jut Daron
United States
Ithaca
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Received this game in a tread, super happy to finally have it in my collection, but a lot of the order and lore cards all have a "beta" water mark across the pictures.

Does anyone know anything about this? (other than the cards, OBVIOUSLY being from a "beta" edition?

Are these cards all the same as what was printed?

How rare is that to have a set with beta cards?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Have you asked the person who traded it to you?

Subscribed. This sounds pretty interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a playtester traded you their beta test copy. Did they tell you this when they were making the trade?

I'd have to look at mine. Most of the cards in the Beta are the same as the final version, but with all playtests there are usually changes that happen as part of the testing process (which is why they have them).

The one thing that seems odd is you say "a lot" of the cards say Beta on them. Are there some cards that don't? In the beta copy, ALL the cards should have Beta on them. What about the box? Does it say Beta on it, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jut Daron
United States
Ithaca
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the guy I traded with told me that some of the cards had a beta water mark. I was intrigued for sure and didn't really mind, I really just wanted a copy of this game!

As far as I know, the rule book and box, look just like the final 2nd edition copy, the minis all look like what I have seen on here and on line.

I believe that all of the "Order" units cards and the "Lore" (I believe that is what they are) are the only cards that have the "beta" water mark. The deploy, unit and unit reference cards, along with the battle field set up cards do NOT have the "beta" water mark on them.

I will double check in a bit.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird that only some of them have the mark... It makes me wonder if he ended up getting a retail copy as well, and somehow got the cards mixed up. Who knows. Very strange, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BL2nd edition VASSAL module contains the scan of all command and lore cards.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:BattleLore_(Second_Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jut Daron
United States
Ithaca
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies, upon further looking, ALL of the cards do indeed have the beta water mark on them, somewhere. The only excetption is the 4-6 pre made 50 point army cards, which have suggested units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that makes more sense In any case, the Beta is perfectly playable and won't be that drastically different. There just may be a few Lore cards with different costs, and possibly some altered wording on some abilities. I don't remember there being any drastic changes between the Beta and the final.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jut Daron
United States
Ithaca
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the Beta cards worth anything?

Or is it just more of a collection/"history" type of a thing?

I checked on eBay, current and even past auctions and there was nothing with "Battlelore Beta" that came up.

Making me wonder just how rare these perticular cards are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jutdogg wrote:
Are the Beta cards worth anything?

Or is it just more of a collection/"history" type of a thing?

I checked on eBay, current and even past auctions and there was nothing with "Battlelore Beta" that came up.

Making me wonder just how rare these perticular cards are.

Probably pretty rare, but I don't think they are all that valuable.

Rare because there were only probably enough printed for the playtesters who helped beta test it, so probably only maybe a dozen or so copies.

Non-valuable, because their quality isn't quite as good, and they may have "errors" on them that were fixed during testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The beta would become valuable if the game were to become historically important or a collectors item. A beta version of Catan might be worth something. Seems unlikely, though it is one of my favorite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.