• [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty common board game issue. The publisher often underestimates the play time, or perhaps lists the time it takes to play when you are very familiar with the game. Our first session lasted about four hours, including learning the rules and puzzling through things, and we adjourned after completing "Part 1" (of 3). I would expect the next segments to go by quicker (45-120 min each).

If you want to finish the game in one session, I would recommend setting aside an entire afternoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game plays in a sort of legacy style. There are 3 'chapters', and amongst those chapters are around 13 'days'. Each day takes around 30-45 mins to complete on average. So 13 days of 30 mins each, is around 6 hours. I would suspect longer for a full game.

But wait! there's good news!

You'll most likely die long before 13 days... or 8 days... or 3 days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
5h+ for the full game in campaign mode. Yes, you will likely die in day 3 or 4, which is still after about 2h.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Ward
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Westchester
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It really depends, solo, probably 120 minutes or so. With a group, I'd say probably 1 hour per person or so. I played with a group of 6, we only go through 1.5 days before losing and that was already 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilentSniperx88 wrote:
It really depends, solo, probably 120 minutes or so. With a group, I'd say probably 1 hour per person or so. I played with a group of 6, we only go through 1.5 days before losing and that was already 2 hours.

120 mins for a full game means each day takes 10 minutes to get through. It takes me 10 minutes to find that pesky filter token!

I'm starting to think there really is no time allotment to play this game. We have 6 hours here, 120 mins here. Both seem too short to me. 6 is doable with a full understanding, and set plan for the game. And even then things can mess it up enough to make that seem like a long shot at 30 mins/day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
120 min for solo? No way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Ward
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb

Guess that I will take this off of my wish list - way too long for me.

Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
120 min for solo? No way.

True for the campaign game, but this can be accomplished when playing a scenario. That's my experience anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
minmin wrote:

Guess that I will take this off of my wish list - way too long for me.

Thanks everyone.

If you're trying to determine if its a 'long' game it really isn't. You can sit down, go through a 'day' in the game and enjoy that 45-60 min session as a game itself. Then just 'save' the gamestate (which is done with a log included in the game) and resume the next day the next time you want to play. The entire campaign is long yes, but it can be played over many many sessions.

Or you can do one of the 3 shorter scenarios, which may be 1-2+ hours long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horatio Q
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you try to fight whenever possible the game becomes rather short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4-6 hours 2 players. if you survive...

It is definitely designed to be saved and carried on. The length of the game is key to have the story develop. Treat it like 3 90min sessions and you won't regret it. As mentioned similar to pandemic legacy is 12-24 1 hour sessions, this is 1-4 90 minute sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with saving game (also in video games) is that you're losing your context. And context might be a difficult thing to regain and/or pose a problem on its own - "I want to return to this game, but I don't want to refresh the context, therefore I don't want to return to this game". In video games this can take a form of regaining sense of surroundings, game plan, controller scheme.

Same goes for board games. Sure, they will help you with remember where to put cards and components and mark certain statistics, but your context is still gone. If you return to the game a week or two weeks later, you won't remember why you've gather this or that. What was your game plan? What was the most important need? What information you've already gathered by exploring scripts. Why was Bruno grumpy? And so on, and so on.

Of course, it's not an insurmountable obstacle, but it's an obstacle nevertheless. Depending on the size/scope of context, it will be easier or harder.

I've tried saving, once, in TIME Stories. 2 days. When we've returned to the game, we forgot almost all the information about all the locations. We've figured out, we will just start from scratch.

Save game is just not a system that works very well for activities that require a lot of context and are still supposed to be done in your free time (because we most often do this at work). Probably the only way it works is when playing a campaign and you actually finish a scenario, from start to end. You save state of your characters, inventory and what not, but you don't have to store context, because context is more often than not, non-existing at this point (in-between scenarios).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting point I don't have much of an issue remembering context, this is done in Role play games constantly, where you recap previous sessions.

It is something to be aware of but isn't a deal breaker for me certainly.

You only have 4 characters max. And the exact details don't matter just the vague details.

You raise a good point though about saving games.

I haven't played time stories and I think that game is much more key to remember fine details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
45 minutes a day? jeez... time to start rolling faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lheureux
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The full campaign will take a day of play with breaks and snacks if you ask me. I feel the game works if you play a whole campaign, play one day, play one of the shorter scenarios, or take a break. The save mech does work really well without a whole lot of lost 'story' if you ask me. The transition is a lot like Pandemic Legacy as another poster noted now that I think about it. The days are pretty self contained and then you kind of reset and do it all again (Like PL1) but you do have to do a quick orientation to catch up if you save and come back to it. For me it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend, wife and I got a game done in 4 hours, it was our third game so a little more practiced but it's definitely on the longer side, and it all depends on luck, what happens, how long scavenging goes (if you even scavenge) etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.