Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Borg Exploration Cards

Probably the last preview. We get the breakdown of the 20 cards: 6 civilizations, 11 crises, and 3 discoveries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So....

I do like the idea that you build the deck with some non-Borg cards first, as that helps increase the odd of turning up a Borg card later. But if you play with multiple expansions and not a lot of exploration (which, in my games, is more of an early-mid game thing anyway) it seems like the Borg may not show up much. But but the Borg cards look pretty dang scary, so maybe you -don't- want a lot of them showing up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with 20 borg exploration cards it means that its 1 in 5 exploration cards. it shouldnt be too rare to encounter them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Running into a Borg cube early is just devastating so having a small buffer of non-Borg cards to match the buffer of guaranteed planet system discs seems sensible.

One thing I learned about the Borg at my GenCon play-through was that they ramp up fairly quickly. Once they get spires in play their weapons start to become more effective and their overall threat rapidly increases, likely letting them take over more planets, build more spires, and get even more powerful weapons.

Mid or late game when the players can put up decent fleets and have a few upgrades of their own it's more manageable. However, early game you might have to choose between developing production nodes or building a last-ditch homeworld defense fleet with all your production where even if you win you are set back many turns.

I do like that the Borg civilization cards can jump cubes already on the board around, which mean someone who thinks they are safe from the cube across the board can suddenly find it in their backyard.

Overall the expansion is going to have a fair amount of randomness, even more than the base game, but I think it will be worth it for the flavor and stories that will result. After all Star Trek Ascendancy is basically a 4X Ameritrash game and that's what they do best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the Federation allowed to do Planetary Invasions against Borg Worlds? If that is the only way to remove the Borg from a world...

Quote:
During the Borg turn, the Borg begin with a build phase, each Borg World adds a new Assimilation Node to its Spire. Once three Nodes are in place, a Borg Cube will be placed atop the Spire in the following build phase. Only a successful Planetary Invasion can scour the Borg from the planet and reclaim the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatta Pake wrote:
Are the Federation allowed to do Planetary Invasions against Borg Worlds? If that is the only way to remove the Borg from a world...

Quote:
During the Borg turn, the Borg begin with a build phase, each Borg World adds a new Assimilation Node to its Spire. Once three Nodes are in place, a Borg Cube will be placed atop the Spire in the following build phase. Only a successful Planetary Invasion can scour the Borg from the planet and reclaim the world.

In my game at Gen Con we were told that the Federation is allowed to invade Borg controlled worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dat Borg World art...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Borg world art look like it came from enterprise's season 4 Klingon augment virus arc. Love the new cards <3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know the more I think about it the more I realize it will be kind of a pain to sort out the Borg cards every game in order to seed the top of the deck properly... I might just instead ignore any Borg cards that happen to come out during those first turn draws. What do you guys think, will you actually pull the cards back out and then shuffle them back in every time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my plan. Just discard the early Borg cards and redraw. Then shuffle them in later.

This method also works with the stack of system tiles. No need to separate the phenomena, just redraw and shuffle them back in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would sort them out, otherwise you might lose track of when exactly you should start encountering them.

I do believe these should be identifiable by an icon for this purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
I would sort them out, otherwise you might lose track of when exactly you should start encountering them.

You draw the same number of non-borg Exploration cards and non-phenomenon Systems, which might help make it easier to play without sorting them out. For most practical purposes, this safe exploration period is usually the exact length of the first game round. The idea is to give each player 2 safe systems, and the base game races could only explore 2 systems on the first round. The Cardassians can explore 3 systems on the first round and deny a safe system to the last player in the round, which makes it a little more complicated, but that's a little bit cheesy anyway -- it would be totally reasonable to just play that safe exploration ends after round 1, or that each player's first two explore moves are always safe.

The Borg cards seem to be identifiable by their high-tech green borg background. I guess we don't know for sure that it's on all 20 cards, but we've seen it on Civilization, Crisis, and Discovery cards, and we've seen it on a card that doesn't actually spawn or move Borg cubes, so I think it will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
What do you guys think, will you actually pull the cards back out and then shuffle them back in every time?

I will. Or I'll ask someone who's playing to do it during setup. It will give an an excuse to re-shuffle the deck properly.

Angelsenior wrote:

The cards all have the little "Borg Hand" symbol located on the top right of the card.

I'm at a loss as to why GF9 didn't make the cards from the other expansions identifiable in a similar way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

I'm at a loss as to why GF9 didn't make the cards from the other expansions identifiable in a similar way.

They were going to but Chinese New Year prevented them from doing it. LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming 2020 (maybe)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Yes, I noted the lack of set icons in my very first expansion Q&A post. It seemed particularly odd since I was used to their doing it for all of the Firefly expansions.

11 Crisis cards? Yikes! But then, every appearance or activity by Borg is a crisis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.