Mysterium» Forums » General

Subject: Is there no hope for this game at the 2 player count? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Black Alexidor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I collect mostly 2 player games, a lot of which can be played with more but work perfectly fine at 2.

Mysterium has always been on my radar, but my hesitation is that it'll sit with a few of my other games that are 3+ players that only see table time once or twice a month when we have guests.

- Does this game get tired very fast at the 2 player count?
- Are there some house rules variants that can help this?
- Is the 2 player kind of 'tacked on' and doesn't feel right to the game?
- Do any of the expansions help the 2 player game?

I know this will be great and a hit with our gamer guests when we group up, but am really hoping there is hope as a 2 player game, despite the BGG suggested player rating.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever played the original Codenames at 2player? That's roughly equivalent.

Mechanically the game is still valid and you have plenty of ways to increase/decrease the challenge at 2 players.

But what you miss is the social aspect of people discussing the clues and the shared sense of drama.

In my opinion the game isn't especially interesting in a purely mechanical sense, it's the situation and the social aspect that makes this fun. The game does a good job facilitating a fun experience with 7 people.

I own Mysterium and just got the Hidden Signs expansion for extra cards, it's going to be a game I keep around, but it really only comes out at 4+ players in my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gitomer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I have played it a few times with 2 players, but the psychic player will use 2-4 characters. It works pretty well, except you have to omit the "betting" right/wrong on the guesses. You may need to also come up with a house rule for how many cards you can see at the final stage.

I found it to be enjoyable with 2, but obviously much better with a higher player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Alexidor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
Have you ever played the original Codenames at 2player? That's roughly equivalent.

Mechanically the game is still valid and you have plenty of ways to increase/decrease the challenge at 2 players.

But what you miss is the social aspect of people discussing the clues and the shared sense of drama.

I have not played Codenames at 2 player, but I have played Specter Ops and lots of cooperative games which, while encouraging the social aspect, it usually detracts and drags out the game needlessly and I have found these games to be more enjoyable at the 2 player count for this reason. I believe Mysterium falls under a different aspect of this because you WANT the social aspect? I understand what you mean, but don't think I have played a game like that to compare it to.

Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Alexidor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mikegit wrote:
I have played it a few times with 2 players, but the psychic player will use 2-4 characters. It works pretty well, except you have to omit the "betting" right/wrong on the guesses. You may need to also come up with a house rule for how many cards you can see at the final stage.

I found it to be enjoyable with 2, but obviously much better with a higher player count.

At the 2 player count: Would it be something you'd be always willing or even suggest to play? Or only if another suggested it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love it with 2 players. We do think 3-4 players is best but it is still great at 2.

We always play with all 6 psychics when playing 2-4 players.

At 2-players (1 non-ghost), the non-ghost controls all 6 psychics.
At 3-players (2 non-ghosts), the non-ghosts control 3 psychics each.
At 4-players (3 non-ghosts), the non-ghosts control 2 psychics each.

We always put out 9 of each character, location, weapon.

We adjust how many crows based on the skill level of the players, esp the ghost's experience level.

We abandon the clairvoyance stuff. Just have all players see the entire final vision. This is closer to the rules of one of the original Tajemnicze Domostwo. The final round is tough because you have to choose from 6 sets. We do not vote on the final set. All non-ghosts must come to an agreement.

At 2-players you do loose some of the social aspect but it is still a lot of fun. The non-ghost should talk out loud as he thinks through each vision so that the ghost knows what he is thinking and can use that information. This is just like the higher player counts where the non-ghosts are talking to each other and the ghost gets to listen in.

If you would like to test the game at 2-players, I would be willing to play with you in the Play by Forum. We could do 2 games at the same time if you like. One where you are the ghost and one where you are the psychics. We can play but what ever rules you choose. Waiting room and general discussion thread for _Mysterium (2015)_ play by forum.

Game on! Laura
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Alexidor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
We love it with 2 players. We do think 3-4 players is best but it is still great at 2.

We always play with all 6 psychics when playing 2-4 players.

At 2-players (1 non-ghost), the non-ghost controls all 6 psychics.
At 3-players (2 non-ghosts), the non-ghosts control 3 psychics each.
At 4-players (3 non-ghosts), the non-ghosts control 2 psychics each.

We always put out 9 of each character, location, weapon.

We adjust how many crows based on the skill level of the players, esp the ghost's experience level.

We abandon the clairvoyance stuff. Just have all players see the entire final vision. This is closer to the rules of one of the original Tajemnicze Domostwo. The final round is tough because you have to choose from 6 sets. We do not vote on the final set. All non-ghosts must come to an agreement.

At 2-players you do loose some of the social aspect but it is still a lot of fun. The non-ghost should talk out loud as he thinks through each vision so that the ghost knows what he is thinking and can use that information. This is just like the higher player counts where the non-ghosts are talking to each other and the ghost gets to listen in.

If you would like to test the game at 2-players, I would be willing to play with you in the Play by Forum. We could do 2 games at the same time if you like. One where you are the ghost and one where you are the psychics. We can play but what ever rules you choose. Waiting room and general discussion thread for _Mysterium (2015)_ play by forum.

Game on! Laura

This is great info, thanks so much!

I am still relatively new around here and have never done the 'Play by Forum' thing, nor do I own the game (if that is required), but I will definitely PM you if I want to take it for a trail run!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Alexidor wrote:
I am still relatively new around here and have never done the 'Play by Forum' thing, nor do I own the game (if that is required), but I will definitely PM you if I want to take it for a trail run!

It is easy to play Mysterium PBF as the non-ghost. You don't need a copy of the game. Let me know when and I'll be the ghost and I will set up a game. We can play 2-player or play with more players. We can play by any rules you want to try out.

It is a lot more difficult to do PBF as the ghost without a copy of the game. But it can be done. Actually, it's not that hard once you know how. If you want to try the ghost roll, I could help you figure out how to do it.

You would want to play as a non-ghost first anyways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game at almost all player counts and regularly got it to the table with my daughter as a 2-player game on multiple occasions, with one of us taking on multiple psychics. I agree that it loses something with a lower player count vis-a-vis the interaction, but it's a great game at 2-players.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Alexidor wrote:

it'll sit with a few of my other games that are 3+ players that only see table time once or twice a month when we have guests.

You just described my entire collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge Tate
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is it enjoyable with 2 players? Yes, very much so. The 2 player rules are slightly different but not tacked on at all. However, and this is a big however, if you are playing extensively with the same 'Player 2' over and over again then it likely will get old simply because you will eventually learn each other's thought patterns and the game will get easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew De Lorge
United States
Spencer
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you are right. I mean, if you play with the same person and play a certain card on an item or suspect, the next time you play it seems obvious you would play that same card, knowing they will know what happened in the last game.

So you play coop and win easily or you play VS and try and lead them astray, which would break the game.

This would be for me and my wife only. I just recently got Whitehall Mystery and see it as a better 2 player experience as a deduction game, even if not cooperative. Scratches that deduction itch in such a better way for a solely 2 player experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.