Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: coax_me [+] [View All]
Håkan Lundgren
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good evening.

For at least 5 years now I've been on the fence buying this game. When I learned of the expansion I was even more eager to buy this.

However, what held me off was that the reviews seemed rather polarized. The game include a lot of ingredients that I like but on the other hand it get the feeling it is somewhat convoluted and with clunky mechanics.

Well, as it happened today I went by my FLGS and saw this game on the shelf at only half the regular retail price. That would mean that I could get away with the base game PLUS the expansion for the same price as the base game alone (should I buy on web store, that is).

So, what do you think? Is this the nudge I need to finally acquire this game? How well does it play in relation to its mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
Absolutely. It plays really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Lundgren
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Yes.

Would you care to elaborate? What do you like most about it? Is play time acceptable (like under 3h)?

I'm leaning towards buying it just because the price is so reasonable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Yes.

I agree. I think people were expecting something it wasn't intended to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
If you ignore the Conan element of the game, this is a very mediocre game. There are tons of dudes on the map games out there that are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
If you ignore the Conan element of the game, this is a very mediocre game. There are tons of dudes on the map games out there that are better.

That's a terrible description of the game.
The conan element is an important side part of the game. I mean... it's only in the name of the game.
It's not a solely dudes on a map game.. there is more to it than that. But it is a very good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Lundgren
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:

I take it you don't fancy this one then? Seeing that Conan is hardly in the game.
How about if you DON'T ignore the Conan element?

Petdoc wrote:

corkysru wrote:
Yes.

I agree. I think people were expecting something it wasn't intended to be.

Is there a strong political/diplomatic factor to this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at the rules. On my website if nowhere else.
Unfortunately It's been so long since I played I can't go into much detail but I do remember how much I liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find if people like the theme (empire building in Conan's world) they often like the game. People not into the theme generally don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a very good game. The expansion adds a lot to it, giving Conan himself the importance he deserved.

It does requires a full 4 players table and 3-4 hours time to make it shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely worth it! I think it kind of fell off the radar because people expected a Conan game with a capital C, and instead got a Hyboria game. Conan is definitely an important part of the package (especially with the expansion) but there much more to it.

If you like the setting of Conan, and not just Conan himself I think you will be very happy with it. And besides the theme the mechanics are really solid, with emphasis on slow military expansion or quicker, but more fragile, economic expansion.

Ages ago I wrote a comprehensive review on my site, which was later used by Ares during the kickstarter. I just scanned through it and still stand by it today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Pavera
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree as well, but it is really necessary to say, that the expansion at least for me is really essential. Base game is fine but than the game is not really Conan game, but just game situated in Conan universe. The expansion really adds lots of new elements, playing as Conan can now really make difference, spy figurines add a lot of conflict to the game, with prisoners it is not so cutthroat any more. Love the game, the only disadvantage is that it is really just basically for 4 players and that you need around 4-5 hours to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see Conan the Strategy Game crossed with Beowulf: A Board Game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.