Jamey P
msg tools
mbmb
Fresh and overconfident from a successful outing against lvl 6 Sweden with this pair of spirits (since Rampant Green really overperforms in that matchup, and Green ramping Keeper's presence is both powerful for the energy income it unlocks, and for really capitalizing on Towering Wrath), our hero decides see how they fair against a difficulty 10 opponent in Max-lvl Brandenburg-prussia.

Things are looking up at the start, as Keeper draws an Encompassing Ward (defend 2 in every space target spirit has presence) and Rampant Green fans out be able to cover 6/7 of the invader's initial-explore ravaging spaces (which fortunately included Jungle, which let RG add influence to the relevant spaces, and meant one of the initial-explore invaders ran into Keeper's initial Wilds token). With only 1 blight expected, and Dahan-movement setting up most of the invaders to die in retaliation, I'm jazzed.

Event draw: Destroy the Unnatural! (+3 ravage dmg in every land with presence). Instead of sweeping the board of invaders, the invaders will drop 9 blight on the board immediately, killing 7 total presence, and all surviving. I guess event-card-draws with high-lvl Brandburg-Prussia are extra-high-variance, as you get the lvl-2 outcomes from the beginning. Not really a fan of insta-loss outcomes in the deck (since even if I'd been planning for all event-deck possibilities, I'd likely have still taken that line, since only 2-3 events would destroy me there, and all the others would leave me in a strongly advantageous position). OTOH, I was kind of glad it was so clear-cut as to make continuing the game after unnecessary.

So, I chalk it up as an unavoidable loss, but decide to draw another event card to actually continue the alternate-future game, rather than just pack it in on turn 2.

In Universe 2, things go as planned, some early Razor-sharp-undergrowth helps keep things under control, and a quickly-ramped Keeper uses its plentiful energy early for Towering wrath, and later-game for Tsunami and Fire & Flood to finish off the invaders on the next-to-last turn.

I guess I'll call that one-and-one .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's a bit annoying, haven't added my event deck yet as only just received the expansion and still enjoying learning the base game.

Not a big fan of huge RNG swing like that though, hope it's not too much of an RNG factor in lower difficulties. I love how deterministic the base game is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Regnard
msg tools
mbmb
Hello, I was a bit worried about the events power when reading your post (just ordered the expansion). 9 blights and 7 presence it is a disaster!

I can see the text of the event Destroy the Unnatural:
"Invaders do + 3 Damage (per land) when Ravaging in lands with *presence token*"

Am I right to think the +3 Damage occurs only in the lands with presence ravaged this turn, and not in every land with presence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juls2 wrote:
I can see the text of the event Destroy the Unnatural:
"Invaders do + 3 Damage (per land) when Ravaging in lands with *presence token*"

Am I right to think the +3 Damage occurs only in the lands with presence ravaged this turn, and not in every land with presence?
That's correct! It only effects lands where there would be a Ravage already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh this is very good news. My faith is restored

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dthurston wrote:
That's correct! It only effects lands where there would be a Ravage already.

Yes - there are a modest handful of Event Cards which impact Ravage damage in various ways. They make it worthwhile, on average, to have a bit of extra defense. Anytime you cut your defense super-close ("the Invaders are doing 4 damage, we have Defend 3, we're set"), you're risking one of those events might crop up and tip that Ravage over into blighting and killing Dahan.

As you play with the Event deck more, you'll learn what some of the triggering conditions are - eg, knowing that huge mobs of Invaders might boost damage, or Ravages in lands with Spirit Presence - and taking them into account in how risky certain situations might be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.