Subject: Bergen 2017 - UCI Road Championship race rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivier PERRONNY
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

The 2017 UCI Championship in Bergen is now really close. I was in Bergen three weeks ago so I am looking forward to seeong the race.

I tried to design a stage using the two last turns of the circuit.

Here is the result

What do you think about it?

Olivier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played a track that has a downhill immediately followed by an uphill. This one has two sections like that. Of course that makes the bikers all move exactly 5 if they start in the downhill, but for anyone who has played sections like that, how does it impact the overall flow of the races around those sections?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
That H section is probably a great place to burn of an exhaustion card before the final push if you manage to place your rider there.

The up-down-up around section H will probably limit the ability for riders to advance in the field, so being in the front before those sections seems vital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meshnaster wrote:
I've never played a track that has a downhill immediately followed by an uphill. This one has two sections like that. Of course that makes the bikers all move exactly 5 if they start in the downhill, but for anyone who has played sections like that, how does it impact the overall flow of the races around those sections?

It will make it very hard to overtake if everyone moves five each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knut K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those up-down-up-sections seem tricky. You have to position really good to get a place in the descents. There you can burn low cards and in case get over the following ascent. If you don't get that position, you either won't get a chance to burn a low-energy card or you will let those riders starting all away.

Edit: One suggestion: exchange the q and the i, o. Two reasons: 1. you fold the track. 2. You have a good possibility in the middle of the race to play a 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
With short back-to-back ascent/descent/ascents, it becomes a competition to land on the descent spaces and block other cyclists from entering them. You're trying to figure out where you need to start the first ascent so that you'll be in the optimal spaces after various intervals of 5-steps to land on the descents and avoid being in the wind. I find them interesting in a different way, but I prefer to design tracks that are less variable up and down. You can look at how I did the Tour de France 2017 stages to see how much detail in the real profile I chose to represent in terrain changes and how much I ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I (black) tried the course solo tonight with a peleton bot (red) and two muscle bots (blue and green). I gave each black rider 2 exhaustion cards.

I really messed up the start of the race - playing too conservatively especially for the black sprinter that never recovered...

The first real hill was brutal...

As it really broke up the riders...

The rest of the race was fragmented

But got bunched up at the front at the end of the race

And here is the final result

00:00 Red Sprinter
00:10 Blue Rouleur
00:10 Green Rouleur
00:30 Red Rouleur
00:30 Black Rouleur
00:40 Blue Sprinter (ran out of cars but feel like I messed up so pulled a random card out of the discarded pile - a 9 which explains how he caught up)
01:30 Black Sprinter
02:00 Green Sprinter (ran out of cards so I had him move 2 to cross the line)

I may have been tired and messed up a few cards for the AI so I can't wait to try this race again. Definitely makes me think that I need to be on my toes and not get left behind because those hills really break things up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd attempt... I was hoping not to be left behind but I think I failed - again...

I (black) tried the course solo tonight with a peleton bot (red) and two muscle bots (blue and green). I gave each black rider 2 exhaustion cards.

I thought I had a decent start, keen on not being left behind but diligent not to use my highest cards to soon in the race... I think I was fooled by the AI all playing relatively low cards too...

The first hill started causing me some problems. Blue attacked and I Black Sprinter had a bad hand: should I play a 9 or a low card? I chose the low card and that was the beginning of the end...

The riders ahead benefited from some nice slipstreams while Black Sprinter kept falling behind and accumulating exhaustion.

Blue Rouleur kept his lead and an amazing attack on the descent by the Red Team brought them in a great position before the final sprint. Meanwhile, Black Sprinter was doing the impossible to try to claw his way back...

Unfortunately, Black Sprinter ran out of gas... while Red Team sprinter to victory.

00:00 Red Sprinter, Red Rouleur and Blue Rouleur
01:00 Black Rouleur, Blue Sprinter
01:30 Green Sprinter
02:30 Green Rouleur, Black Sprinter

Ok so next time I won't try to conserve my high cards until the end... Promise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier PERRONNY
France
flag msg tools
mb
Zottelmonster wrote:
Those up-down-up-sections seem tricky. You have to position really good to get a place in the descents. There you can burn low cards and in case get over the following ascent. If you don't get that position, you either won't get a chance to burn a low-energy card or you will let those riders starting all away.

Edit: One suggestion: exchange the q and the i, o. Two reasons: 1. you fold the track. 2. You have a good possibility in the middle of the race to play a 9.

Very good point! I modified the tiles. I did not follow exactly your layout for there was a problem of tiles crossing but here is the result.

We should test it tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knut K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it solo tonight with peloton-bot and muscle team. My black rouleur won by one square.

I had the same experience that the peloton-bot is really strong. They finished directly behind my rouleur. And this course destroys sprinteurs. Both, my sprinteur and the muscle sprinteur, were left behind side by side.

Edit: Second play: managed to win with my sprinteur. Had a little bit of luck on the last hand. But if my sprinteur weren't lucky my rouleur would won the race in a photofinish with the red (muscle) rouleur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend was the 3rd time trying the original Bergen race against 3 bots (red was peleton AI, blue and green were muscle AI based on new peleton rules posted on BGG). I was black.

In the last 2 attempts, black raced too conservatively and consequently fell behind. This time I planned not to fall back early on.

So here was the situation at the first hill.

The climbs real break things up but overall everyone was moving together. Too bad, as the only human player, I was picking up exhaustion cards!

This time Green fell behind as everyone was charging ahead in the final downhill portion of the race. I was excited to have my racers well positioned!

Hurrah for my first win on this treacherous Bergen race! I forgot to take a photo of the arrival of the peleton but, just so you know, they arrived together except for the couple AI stragglers. It's the first time I saw AI falling behind in a race.

Thanks for a fun few days of racing!

In fact I just noticed that there is an updated layout so I may have to try it or perhaps maybe try my first grand tour?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier PERRONNY
France
flag msg tools
mb
We played the stage today with 6 players.

http://perrysheroes.free.fr/spip.php?article697

Olivier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Fantastic photos and paint job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
Edit: I’m bad at reading, managed to miss the fact that the course in the thread was two laps of the course, not one. My course is the best approximation I could get of a single lap. Feeding zone1 is mobed from being on the first hill to the plateau, and the second is moved from the downhills towards the citt to between the two hills, as the short flat better fits with the real course and this is just one lap, not many, so energy refill would logically be placed here.

Lots of up and down in the beginning and high speeds at the end. Played it twice with six players and it came down to a the very end for both plays. Lots of riders contesting the sprint. Most sprinters managed to save all their nines for the end to catch up if they were dropped during the first half. The breakaway is a good place to be, you’ll get through the first half without getting blocked on important spaces

Edit: new version from the one we played. removed one square of climbing from each of the two first hills to get it more like the actual course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.