J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this for the first time recently. We had 3 players, which makes the Family Member space that is adjacent to Chelsea, Midtown, and Wall Street seem like a no brainer for the first player as it allows you to shakedown the back of 4 businesses, and it gives you influence in 3 turfs. When new businesses open up throughout the game, other spaces begin to allow you to shakedown 4 businesses at once as well, but no other space ever gives you influence in 3 turfs.

Is this Chelsea/Midtown/Wall Street space overpowered? As the player with the First Player Marker, should you always go there immediately, at least in the beginning Acts of the game? Does this mean the rest of the players should immediately start fighting over the First Player Marker in order to keep the start player from repeatedly claiming this space?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is the Family Member space adjacent to 3 turfs overpowered?
Sure, you get a ton of stuff, but you're also a target for a drive-by or car bomb. Going there early doesn't guarantee influence in 3 turfs by the time turf war phase rolls around.

There is nothing OP in this game. Everything that seems OP has a counter-play to balance it out.

This will become clear with more plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Geery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a highly desirable space to play a family member in, yes.

Does this make it a prime target for other players to remove the family member placed there, yes.

Powerful and working as intended in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We thought it was at first as well and for the first couple of games someone took that spot immediately.... and never survived until the end of the game.

Go there and get the things you need but recognize you've just put the bullseye on your back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a powerful space. And I might be inclined to think it was overpowered in most worker placement games. But in this particular game, your worker being present doesn't lock up the space.

I've gotten 3 plays in so far, & in every round of every game, the tension is: do I stick my neck out & take that place early in the turn, knowing full well that that guy is going to get whacked?

So, yes, it's a very attractive space, & people are going to gravitate toward it...& then they are going to die. Like moths to a flame.

Regarding the first player marker, I feel like it's a mixed blessing. Sometimes certain illegal goods are in shorter supply depending on which buidlings end up out on the map. So if you want to make sure you can get them, you want to go early. However, I've found that there's a tension of wanting to hold your workers back as long as possible because of the potential to get caught up in a drive by shooting or car bomb...especially if you can see those jobs sitting there in the "public jobs" area.

Overall, I've found the game to be very well-balanced so far. Let us know how your next few games go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmmowery wrote:

Is this Chelsea/Midtown/Wall Street space overpowered?

Finally got to play this game today, and the 1-6-7 tri-Turf was always the first thing the 1st player did at the start of each Act.

It was a 3 player game, and whenever the family member got gunned down in the tri-Turf, the next player immediately put their family member in the same spot. The main issue was that one player would put their figure then, the second player would gun it down, the third player would put their figure there. Getting access to guns and influence in 3 turfs seemed to be the main reason why everyone kept going there everytime it became available.

This repeated a few times but by the 3rd and 4th act, players became focused on the 3-4-5 (north end of the board) turfs, because of the red businesses.

Personally, I very much enjoyed the game. One other player disliked it and vowed to never play it again. I got "Extorted" once by an opponent, and I laughed as I gave him three $1 bills.

When we were doing end-of-game scoring, that player who extorted me won. By 3 points.

The only aspect of the game I really didn't like, was the public Jobs. Not the tri-turf or the Extortion card... but the public jobs. The reason being is that all 3 of us were playing the game for the first time, and every turn, someone would think about what to do, then remember there are public jobs, "What do those do again?" I'd read them, and then would have to do this again on the next players turn. Since the jobs get replaced (after being used) next act, the same paralysis kept happening. The presence of those public jobs bogged down the game.

I would have preferred if the public jobs didn't exist and players just had access to the jobs in their hand. That's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sequella Deville
msg tools
ShotgunGames wrote:
I would have preferred if the public jobs didn't exist and players just had access to the jobs in their hand. That's just me.

I suspect the general consensus would agree that hands jobs are better than public jobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sequella wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:

I suspect the general consensus would agree that hands jobs are better than public jobs.

That's why I specifically worded it "jobs in their hand."

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.