Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Has anybody won the Castaways scenario? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Momo 80
France
flag msg tools
Hi,

I've played the Castaways scenario 6 times and I've lost each time (in different ways, but mainly through lack of wood or weather conditions) on a solo scenario with Friday and the dog.

I've yet to see any videos of anybody winning this scenario (or even this game). I'm beginning to believe that this isn't even the point of playing RC...

I recall Ignacy saying to Tom, Zee and Sam (the Dice Tower guys) that the percentage of winning this scenario was around 70 percent, and then then promptly lost their game. Hmmm...

I'm not complaining about the game at all, honestly. I don't mind losing. But I really feel the game is impossible. So now, when I want to introduce this game to others I tell them that they WILL lose, but it's not the point of the game...rather it's the experience. I'm not sure if Ignacy had this in mind when he created such a beast.

Anyway, any ideas are accepted...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Don't play solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won this scenario, solo, with all 5 characters. Each playing with Friday and the Dog. Meaning, just 1 character and Friday/Dog, but using each of the characters, I was able to win the scenario.

Didn't win it the first time with any of the characters. The most it took me was 12, with the Explorer (my first 12 times playing the game).

Once I learned the "puzzle" of this scenario and what to focus on, it got much faster for the other characters. Don't think I took more than 5 or 6 times with them. The last one was the Sailor, took me, I think, 4 times before winning with him.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miha hančič
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of the game is that surviving, castaway on an island, is tough, therefore I think the game being hard to win is thematically appropriate.

I played the game solo a couple of times and kept losing.

First time we played together with 4 players we used promo characters to help make game a bit easier and we somehow managed to win. I was happy but first thing I did I went checking the rules to see what we played wrong
We did have incredible luck with the weather dice, that might did it for us

I think there are strategies to the game to have a decent chance of winning, but I'll have to play it a couple more times to figure everything out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cheston
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this game once, solo, Castaways, using the Carpenter, Friday, and my dog. Won. Retired. Not really retired, just haven't gotten the game back out yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo 80
France
flag msg tools
For sure. I think I'm getting the puzzle of carpenter solo play, but I'm just getting hammered by weather and unlucky rolls. Maybe it's just a matter of luck in the end in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have won this with all number of players. Solo with Friday and Dog. Two players Carpenter and Explorer. Three Players arpenter ,Explorer and Cook. Four Players Carpenter, Explorer, Cook, Soldier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo 80
France
flag msg tools
"Don't play solo."
Why do you say this? It was designed for solo play as well (or so it says in the instructions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo 80
France
flag msg tools
"The idea of the game is that surviving, castaway on an island, is tough, therefore I think the game being hard to win is thematically appropriate.

First time we played together with 4 players we used promo characters to help make game a bit easier and we somehow managed to win. I was happy but first thing I did I went checking the rules to see what we played wrong

I think there are strategies to the game to have a decent chance of winning, but I'll have to play it a couple more times to figure everything out."

For sure, I definitely agree on the thematic difficulty. Yeah, I think that's the only way to win this game is to get extremely lucky with weather dice. Otherwise it's planning for weather and wasting that planning and losing in multiple other ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo 80
France
flag msg tools
"I've only played this game once, solo, Castaways, using the Carpenter, Friday, and my dog. Won. Retired. Not really retired, just haven't gotten the game back out yet."

That sounds dubious to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing completely solo (as in no Friday or Dog) is hard, but very winnable. I have won playing solo with all characters. If after 8 tries and you don't come close to winning at least once, you are probably playing something wrong. Maybe you should post your strategy to the scenario on here, and we can help let you know what you are doing wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Momo80 wrote:
"Don't play solo."
Why do you say this? It was designed for solo play as well (or so it says in the instructions).

I don't usually like playing games solo, but I love playing this game solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo 80
France
flag msg tools
"Playing completely solo (as in no Friday or Dog) is hard, but very winnable. I have won playing solo with all characters. If after 8 tries and you don't come close to winning at least once, you are probably playing something wrong. Maybe you should post your strategy to the scenario on here, and we can help let you know what you are doing wrong."

For sure:
I use the carpenter with the dog and Friday. My first step is to explore enough to get some wood tiles to gather later and some exploration/treasure tiles that might help me later.
My second step (if I've explored the right tile) is to get the hatchet (strangely enough I haven't gotten the exploration tile that allows me this for the last two games).
My third step is to build a stable roof and palisade for when the weather phase comes.
I repeat these steps until I think I'm comfortable enough to survive and then just continue to gather wood...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Momo80 wrote:
"The idea of the game is that surviving, castaway on an island, is tough, therefore I think the game being hard to win is thematically appropriate.

I think there are strategies to the game to have a decent chance of winning, but I'll have to play it a couple more times to figure everything out."

For sure, I definitely agree on the thematic difficulty. Yeah, I think that's the only way to win this game is to get extremely lucky with weather dice. Otherwise it's planning for weather and wasting that planning and losing in multiple other ways.

Every scenario in this game has specific strategy(ies). There are at least 2 strategies to help you win this scenario. Yes, luck does come into play, but if you don't figure out the strategy, all you have left is luck to count on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo 80
France
flag msg tools
I agree. I think the first scenario is to obviously gather enough wood to build the woodpile. That seems logical. But gathering wood takes time and resources away from building a roof or palisade later in the game.
After you've found the puzzle, does the difficulty decrease?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Momo80 wrote:
"Playing completely solo (as in no Friday or Dog) is hard, but very winnable. I have won playing solo with all characters. If after 8 tries and you don't come close to winning at least once, you are probably playing something wrong. Maybe you should post your strategy to the scenario on here, and we can help let you know what you are doing wrong."

For sure:
I use the carpenter with the dog and Friday. My first step is to explore enough to get some wood tiles to gather later and some exploration/treasure tiles that might help me later.
My second step (if I've explored the right tile) is to get the hatchet (strangely enough I haven't gotten the exploration tile that allows me this for the last two games).
My third step is to build a stable roof and palisade for when the weather phase comes.
I repeat these steps until I think I'm comfortable enough to survive and then just continue to gather wood...

Ok...sounds like you are on the right track to winning. There's one thing you really need to do. I won't mention it, unless you want me to.

Where do you fail? Not having enough wood, or got hammered by weather?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo 80
France
flag msg tools
I now usually lose with lack of wood. Then I thought I'd over-prepped for weather so then I lost to weather instead of wood. But most of the time it's wood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Momo80 wrote:
I agree. I think the first scenario is to obviously gather enough wood to build the woodpile. That seems logical. But gathering wood takes time and resources away from building a roof or palisade later in the game.
After you've found the puzzle, does the difficulty decrease?

Because luck does play a part in this game, the difficulty continues to vary. If luck is on your side, it's super easy. If luck is against you, it's hard but still winnable. If luck is completely against you, you will lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo 80
France
flag msg tools
I think, what I've found with solo carpenter on scenario 1, is that if you don't find the right exploration tile to get the hatchet early then it's going to be really difficult to win.
Maybe there's another strategy I'm missing.
Other than that, it seems that I've just been unlucky the 6 times I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Momo80 wrote:
I think, what I've found with solo carpenter on scenario 1, is that if you don't find the right exploration tile to get the hatchet early then it's going to be really difficult to win.
Maybe there's another strategy I'm missing.
Other than that, it seems that I've just been unlucky the 6 times I've played.

Well, the first 3 or 4 times I played, I didn't even realize that there was a hatchet available...and I still won them all. So yep, there's another strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Momo80 wrote:

This is true with every character. Hatchet is really important in this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPOILER ALERT!!!

Here are some goals you should try to accomplish on your way to winning:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

- Explore, Explore, Explore!!! (to get Discovery tokens)
- Key Discovery tokens: wood tokens, brown pawn token, and the "weapon 1" tokens that give you Furs
- Build, Build, Build!!!
- Get Roof up to level 2 by Turn 4; level 4 by Turn 7
- Try to use Hides to build Shelter and Roof
- Should have 3 columns of wood pile done within first 4 turns
- Any extra wood should go onto wood pile
- Take wounds from weather dice instead of wasting wood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo 80
France
flag msg tools
Honestly I've done all of these except the last. Maybe I'll try that.
I even got a map and explore token from the treasure cards and I still didn't find the right exploration tiles (bad luck).

I gotta disagree that it's a 70% chance of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nighthawk326 wrote:

This tip is wrong, you can't choose to lose wood or health. You lose wood, if you run out, then you lose health. The other ones are good recommendations but once you lose wood on clouds, you start appreciating the hatchet more since it's extra 7-10 wood for nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverrobert wrote:
nighthawk326 wrote:

This tip is wrong, you can't choose to lose wood or health. You lose wood, if you run out, then you lose health. The other ones are good recommendations but once you lose wood on clouds, you start appreciating the hatchet more since it's extra 7-10 wood for nothing.

If you don't have any wood, you can't lose it for health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.