Hide
10 Posts

Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Win combat against point leader when you are winning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Batson
msg tools
There is a secret objective that requires you to win a combat against "a player with the most points." If you are the sole player with the most points, can this be scored by winning a combat against the next highest player, or do you need to find a different secret objective to work on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to find a different one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Batson
msg tools
Ok, thanks. That's how I ruled it when I played TI4 recently. I had taught the game to some other people playing and was making the calls on any questions like that. I was the one holding that card and was currently in the lead when I had the chance to score it. Didn't want anyone to think I was "interpreting" the rules to my advantage, so I kept it secret and never ended up scoring it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you share the lead with someone you can play the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question posed in the original post seems straight-forward. I'd be surprised if it was possible to score this against the second place player while you are in the lead by yourself. That player clearly does not have the most points.

However, I do think other scenarios are ambiguous. For example, if two players share the lead, can you score this objective against either player? On the one hand, they both have the "most points." On the other hand, no player has "the most points." I hate language sometimes.

I think it is inconsequential whether the tied leading player is the one trying to score the objective or not.

Anyhow, this seems ambiguous enough to submit to FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
That second one seems clear to me that you could score it against the co-leader. They are a player with the most points and would qualify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both players have most points.

Consider this: If I don't have the most points, there must be a player who has more points than I do. Hence if you cannot find a player with more points than me, then I have the most.

Source: Mathematician

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree that it should be scoreable against a tied leader. The card does not say win a combat against "the" player with the most points.

However, with secret objectives a player cannot inquire about the meaning because it is secret information, so it is better to be more explicit and remove all doubt.

I can understand how someone might read the card and think that a co-leader does not have the most points - they might even refrain from scoring it because of this misinterpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Michael Bridge
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
did the opponent have to have (or be tied for) 'the most' at the time of the combat, or at the time of claiming the objective (as points are awarded in initiative order during the status phase)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
mikebridge wrote:
did the opponent have to have (or be tied for) 'the most' at the time of the combat, or at the time of claiming the objective (as points are awarded in initiative order during the status phase)?

TI4 has some objectives which are "Action Phase" objectives, meaning you score them during the Action Phase as soon as they happen. This secret objective is one of those, so the target in question must have the most points (or tied) at the time the battle happens, because that's when you'll claim the objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.