Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I have no name
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just converted our TCG/CCG to a LCG as the market is just terrible for a TCG. Anyways, while we were doing this another problem came up. We are thinking that our theme might be too generic and overplayed by now. We have come up with another theme and I'll list them both down here with a quick backstory and how they will relate in game, and if you guys could let us know what you like better. Thanks!

Basic Mechanics:
You will have a card that is either a castle or town and this is the game health. Once this card is defeated you lose the game. To help defend these cards you have a hero/commander card with high health and gives bonuses to similar unit soldiers as itself. Finally, you have the soldier cards. There are three types of soldiers, and each type is strong against one type and weak against another. There's a lot more to the game but now you have the basics.

Original Theme:
We had the game taking place during the Dark Ages in Medieval times. Where the power of time was stolen from Chronos, the god of time and now all kinds of monsters and ancient Empires roam the earth. The player could play as either a Roman Emperor, Viking Kings, or Egyptian Pharaoh. Each player starts with a wooden castle and it can be up-gradable throughout the game to stone and finally to Kingdom. Each empire would have the special heroes that help defend the castle along with an army of soldiers (Range, Infantry, and Calvary). Each unit is strong against one and weak against another.

We don't have to go in much detail here about each Empire as most people already have a basic understanding of their origins.

New Theme:
So, the new theme that we are currently contemplating takes place in the future on Earth, but not Earth as you know it. Most of humanity up and left for the stars a few centuries back and anyone left ate, drank, and was merry until the whole planet looked like one-bit frat party aftermath. We polluted, we drilled, we bombed, we screwed, and were generally pretty pleased with ourselves. Until we realized that the planet is hardly livable anymore. There are only a few sections on earth left were humans can still live, so most stay up in a space station that was made with scrap metals.

The first faction is called cosmonauts and they are the ones who live in the low Earth orbit scrap space station. They are the last known real humans left on earth.

The next faction is Four Kings, and there are a few stories about their origin but most of the humans left earth and forgot about a large portion of soldiers in cryo-freeze. The nano-machines that were keeping the soldiers alive soon took over the soldiers and took them out of cryo-freeze with the objective to help restore the earth. Being more machine that human, they see all other life as threat and try to kill anything that isn’t them.

Lastly, the third faction is The Burrowed. They are a group of humans that crawled through earth and caves to survive the harsh earth environments. They drank polluted waters and lived in areas of high levels of radiation. As time went on, they became more beast than man, creating a mix of hyper-intelligent animals, semi-human, and a few other things no one can identify yet.

The three type of soldier units used in this theme will be Spacecraft, Anti-Aircraft, and Infantry Soldiers. Where each are strong against one and weak against another. The "hero" cards will now be called commander cards. Your starter castle will now be a town and it will upgrade to a city and finally to a metropolis.

Final Thoughts:
We are looking for some basic feedback from people and see how they feel about each theme and what they think will be better for a Living Card Game. We just want to make sure we aren't limiting ourselves and want to have something new and fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Hultqvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi Travis!

I am probably quite biased as my own game takes place in a sort of medival era.
But I would rather play the dark medival setting than the futuristic one. You can always spice things up by adding technology that may not hold entirely true to the setting such as steampunk/dieselpunk weaponry.

The reason I like the medival setting is because it's somehow seem darker and more harsh than the apocalyptic/nuclear winter settings we see in alot of games today.
And besides you already had an idea that you could upgrade keeps etc so why not expand that to make not just ordinary castles but maybe a resource war to get electricity, fozzile fule or any other type of resource that they didn't have in real life during those times.

Of course it depends on how realistic you want the game to be. Does it have magic? Does it take place on this earth? Maybe an apocalyptic event happened in the dark ages that has made it different than how ours looked.

Regarding your mechanics about building a city and having troops defending it seems like an interesting idea. It draws my mind to games such as Age of Empires, Civ among others (even Warhammer).
If you plan on expanding in the future you have much room to add cards and new settings that can be more futuristic.

How is the game ment to be played by the way? Cards only or cards combined with a battle board? Are cards played by themselves or are you allowed to play many cards at once? Do you control single units or wast armies?

Non the less I like the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, thank you for switching to LCG! Whew. I play Hearthstone which is free, but otherwise I would never bother starting into the endless rabbit hole of a CCG.

As for your themes, I actually like the first one better, the medieval-ish setting. The space theme actually feels more generic. It may be unique in setup, but because it's a space theme it feels a tad tired right off the bat.

What I like about your original theme is that it mixes different historical empires. It think it's a good fit for an LCG because new expansions would be a new civilization, expanding your possibilities. You could bend it in any direction you want, depending on your universe, and even throw in a space race expansion and see how they match up against the Egyptians or Aztecs or whatever.

And as Marcus mentioned, you can throw in anachronistic technology or fantasy themes; like, perhaps aliens did help build the pyramids, so maybe they left some of their other tech behind, too! Perhaps the Aztecs are gone because they fled into space? Perhaps the Vikings were first the the new world, but also first to colonize the ocean floor and have underwater cities and wooden submarines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have no name
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thank you for your responses Marcus and Ben!! We really appreciate your feedback.

@Marcus
The game is cards only and if you want to take the time, we have a basic tutorial/gameplay video on YouTube that can give you a better understanding about the game flow. Also we are thinking about what you said and thinking about combining the two themes into one. I wrote the basic idea behind the new combined theme at the bottom, so let me know if you can what your first thoughts are about that.

Video: https://youtu.be/bMjlWraR0PQ

@Ben
Haha yes, I'm not sure why we even considered the TCG market, especially with how our game is made. As I mentioned above to Marcus, we are looking into combining the two themes now and see where that takes us. Below is a rough idea of the new theme.

Combination of Both Themes:
Taking place during the Dark Ages, a period in time that lasted over 500 years and most written text have been lost. Let’s help fill in those gaps on time. With a backstory that the ancient Egyptian Pyramids were built by aliens and they left tech there to help civilization advance. However, what they failed to account for was the greed of humanity. Soon all empires were fighting each other trying to get to this new tech in Egypt. After the aliens saw how man treated each other, they decided release Nano-bots to take over humans and use them as soldiers to protect the tech from the likes of man, as they are no longer worthy. However, some of the tech has already leaked its way into the hand of some powerful Empires. With this idea, we would still have typical soldiers with their usual armor, but their weapons and armor will have some signs of alien tech and glowing aura, things like that.

This is just a rough rough idea of what we could do. We would have to do a lot more thinking, but it gives a basic idea of where we can go with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Hultqvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
It most definitely makes for an interesting theme, if you want to keep it more mysterious the aliens can be a thing, but the humans on earth may think they're the gods who've ascended to bless their nation or blablabla.

You atleast have more room for expansion of the game with your new theme I think.

I've watched a few minutes of the YouTube video and I'll sit down and watch it fully soon. But at first glance I think I'd enjoy playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the original future theme. It's a bit unique in that it focuses on kind of the left behind humanity after everyone else has "ascended". The way you describe it is pretty hilarious, and I think you could have a nice hook if you keep a humorous tone a la Idiocracy.

Both medieval and space themes are done to death, but people keep enjoying them. Your two themes are somewhat reminiscent of 51st state/imperial settlers actually. If your first theme doesn't work, retheme it and sell it again

The combined theme is pretty neat as well. I just don't think it has quite the strong personality of your second theme. I am really interested in finding out more about the Four Kings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Late reply, but the original theme, or, rather, scenario is fine. While it's still generic fantasy, I don't think there are many CCG's where you play a *castle* or town. Might find several boardgames that have the same theme, though. Microsoft's Age of Empires has the same scenario, but it's long OOP.

If you're seeking a publisher, they'll probably make it generic fantasy, anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I preferthe first theme because of the HEROSCAPE-like concept of mixing eras into a single timeline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Holz
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for coming up with an original theme! I appreciate the creativity which goes into it, and much prefer it to another pseudo-D&D setting.

I much prefer your second theme in your initial post, over the original theme and the combined one. It reminds me of Caves of Qud; A very different game but also features a far-future, post-abundance Earth. It has a pretty opaque trailer:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.