Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kline
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games seem to focus on the art when it comes to the aesthetic components. As much as you can set art aside- which game(s) have the best graphic design in your opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido of course. I also like the layout of everything in Lords of Waterdeep, except the character cards which are ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game from the Dixit family comes to my mind, I specially like Dixit: Journey. Also Mysterium seems obvious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Breese
msg tools
I just love the art for Catacombs (third edition), it is quirky, charming, whimsical. As such, I feel like I kinda need to back all of the Catacombs games, even if I won't have time to play them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Very little is better than any of the Deep Thought Games, LLC publications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The art looks good, the game markings make sense (after a brief explanation), and everything fits, so this gets my vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was pleasantly surprised with the art of Unearth. And while it wasn't the best art, I think the Hit Z Road style really pulled an otherwise generic game together and kicked it up a notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anachrony is way up there I think. I happen to like the art but ignoring the art all the symbolism is done very well. It's clear what things cost, or what you gain from a given space. Also the symbols used are consistent.

I think Istanbul does this well too. They both have a lot of symbols, but they're used well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
My fav is Kingdom Death: Monster.
The design is outstanding. modern, clean, but still connected to the
game itself. The cards have a great typo, no distracting art or
background that draws attention from the information you need.

The artworks are beautiful, the rulebook has a very good layout
and isnt overloaded with graphics mixed with text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vikings Gone Wild. The art is amazing but the card frames, the player mats, the board, the box, the tokens, are all incredibly pretty, and the textboxes on the card do an amazing job of giving you the info you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a HUGE fan of Oink Games' designs:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko has great graphic design with the easily recognisable icons throughout the game. Players will most likely match them all after a few turns.
I love how the playing pieces allow for a 3D game board that actually seems to unclutter the area too.

The player boards in Scythe do a wonderful job for each faction.
This may have gone against the game as they make it much easier to play and give it a simple tag. Isn't that a sign of good graphic design?
Have been playing Centauri Saga this week with my son and the player board graphics and layout is so helpful we control two starships each now.

The missus reckons the design work in Ticket to Ride: Europe is outstanding especially as it simplifies symbols and routes whilst catering for colour blind players too.

Couple more cool designs that seem to look cool art wise and help with the gameplay through graphic design are Lewis & Clark and Far Space Foundry.

EDIT just looked on the shelves and will say The Gallerist probably has the best . But that's just an opinion and the subject matter of the game may have influenced the decision too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People don't like the artwork for Suburbia, but I find it incredibly functional. Not saying it is the best, but one of the more underrated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldron wrote:
My fav is Kingdom Death: Monster.

The cards have a great typo

Not sure if 'typo' itself was a typo, or super-on-point reference to the typos that Poots frequently makes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Not sure if 'typo' itself was a typo, or super-on-point reference to the typos that Poots frequently makes.

He totally never does whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't beat Jamaica. Everything about this game is beautiful.

Photo credit: Hammock Backpacker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Worley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
It's not printed yet, but I think the Kickstarter for Brass: An Industrial Revolution looks to be the most beautiful game I've seen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/brass-an-industr...

I joined the Kickstarter because of the art alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Some people seem to be confusing artwork with graphic design. They are two different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Tullgren
Sweden
Höör
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
I'm a HUGE fan of Oink Games' designs:

I second that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
Some people seem to be confusing artwork with graphic design. They are two different things.

That's why i said that everything about Jamaica is beautiful, that includes the graphic design :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cro1 wrote:
Talmanes wrote:

That's why i said that everything about Jamaica is beautiful, that includes the graphic design

The art is beautiful. Its graphic design could be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Very little is better than any of the Deep Thought Games, LLC publications.

I dunno, most folks seem to be picking pretty art. I think clearclaw's choice, above, has the best graphic design from what people have mentioned so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
Since you brought it up, it'd be appreciated if you can go into detail about both of them, and set us up with some examples, as we've already been making that mistake, I doubt we'll suddenly learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the current crop of Lacerda games.

Extra props for Feudum, the board, the bits, even the boxes are all harmonious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Talmanes wrote:
Since you brought it up, it'd be appreciated if you can go into detail about both of them, and set us up with some examples, as we've already been making that mistake, I doubt we'll suddenly learn.

Generally speaking, "art" means imagery that has no gameplay function. It can contribute to thematic immersion, or just be pretty. But it does not affect player actions, and the game could be played entirely without it.

"Graphic design" means icons and other images that do affect play. They inform the players what actions do what things, costs incurred, benefits gained, how actions resolve, and so on. Playing without it would require much memorization, if possible at all.

For an example, I'll talk about my current favorite game, Terraforming Mars.

The card artwork can perhaps be described as quirky, or offbeat. Certainly others have used stronger terms. In most cases I think it is reasonably thematic, but admittedly inconsistent. I am not bothered by it, but nor do I gaze lovingly at it. Overall I would say that "amateur" is a fair description. Some think the board art is too bland, but for me it is perfect: real imagery of the real Mars. In science, reality is beautiful.

The graphic design, on the other hand, is very good. The iconography in particular is excellent: clear, distinct, consistent, and intuitive. Shape, color, symbols, size, and location are all well designed to be understandable at glance. It looks color blind friendly to me as well, although I can't say for sure. Some of the card text is a little small and inconsistently formatted, but for me this is a small matter. And once you grasp the icons (which happened very quickly for everyone I know), the text is mostly redundant.

So there is the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.