20 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #2» Forums » General

Subject: Where to buy ASLSK 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Park
msg tools
Hello fellow wargamers,

I recently bought ASLSK 1 and I'm having a blast with my friend. After finishing the scenarios, we looked for ASLSK2 but to no avail, the only one we could find is a "Collectable" one via Amazon at the mind-boggling price of $185.00. Is there any places I can buy ASLSK2 at a somewhat reasonable price? Thank you in advance!

- Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris 2ème et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
Bleu, Blanc, Rouge: Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité.
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a look through my go to sites over in France for you too and none of them have it either.

In the meantime you could try the ASL Starter Kit Bonus Pack:

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/mmaslstkitbo.htm..., for a few more ASLSK1 scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guenette
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://asl-battleschool.blogspot.ca/p/starter-kit.html

Try that. Or Game trade on BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youren
United States
Lincoln City
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Doing what's right isn't always easy but it's always right.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep and eye on Noble Knight Games: https://www.nobleknight.com/
That's where I picked up ASLSK #1 and #2. Don't shy away from #3 if it becomes available somewhere before you find a source for #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guenette
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are scenarios you can print and play on MMP's website. If you happen to own any Special Ops, there are scenarios you can play there as well.

Check there as well

http://lm.polar.free.fr/aslsk.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip SK2, and purchase SK3. While it is also out of print, it is going for less of a premium. It contains guns and armor.

If you want to wait, I don't have any inside information but I would expect SK3 to be reprinted before Christmas. Historically there has been less demand for SK2, so they may wait longer to reprint it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't SK2 just recently reprinted after a years-long hiatus? I'm surprised it's out again so quickly. Maybe this is a case of MMP just needing to do some collating/assembly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to do an auction that includes copies of SK 1,2,3, exp 1 and Beyond the Beaches. PM me for details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When asked, I got this response from MMP:

Friday, September 1, 2017

Hi,

Are there any plans on reprinting ASL Starter Kits #2 and #3 in the near future?

Regards,
Mark

Hi,

Yes, we have plans to reprint them as soon as their countersheets fit into a print run using the ASL counter material (its different from The Gamers and other games).

Sincerely,

Brian Youse
MMP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Baxter
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll be watching this thread for when the reprints release!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked him to place my email on a notification list when that happens so if I see anything I'll be sure to come back here and post to the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Park
msg tools
Wow, I didn't expect the thread would get a lot of replies! Thanks a lot for all the links, I'll check them out. I'm not sure if I'm going to get ASLSK3 already, as I'm not the heavy wargamer(yet.) I want to move as incrementally as possible, but if ASLSK2 doesn't come out, I'll just skip it. Thanks a lot, more links also appreciated!

- Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magician ..
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I had the same problem, I got the aslsk 1 no problem but then couldn't expand. I instead got the aslsk expansions Pack #1. While it doesnt give you as much as getting aslsk #2,3 separately it does give you a good amount of infantry, artillery and vehicles with new maps and scenarios covering infantry only, infantry and artillery and then adding vehicles and the latest rules in one book for aslsk 1,2,3. Worth giving a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Plott
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Add my name to the list of folks looking to buy ASLSK2. Getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Baxter
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like 3 is back in stock...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Plott
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Got a late Christmas present to myself and finally received ASLSK #1 and #3 in the mail from MMP! Question: Does ASLSK #2 add that much more to the understanding of the ASL scheme of of doing things(I'm transitioning from classic SL) or am I OK with just 1 and 3? Given that ordnance counters and rules are included in #3, can one learn how these components are integrated into the course of play? Or is ASLSK #2 considered an essential n00b buy to understanding the complete ASL 'verse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Cocke
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLSK#2 (Gunz) is fun and helpful, but not absolutely necessary.

How helpful it would be depends on the individual.

As you say, all the rules are in #3 (Tankz), which gives you plenty of great scenarios with which to give the rules a workout.

#3 does not have, however, any ordnance-only scenarios. It has one infantry only scenario, but the other 7 all include AFV (although not all on both sides). So, learning about ordnance will be complicated by simultaneously learning about vehicles. But some players want to jump to tanks right away.

ASLSK#1 (Dudez) is much more important for laying a foundation.

Concentrate on getting the infantry and basic rules in #1 down, and the jump to #3 should be doable without much trouble.

YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Plott
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Many thanks, Perry! Appreciate the insight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Drohan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been waiting for ASLK2 to be available for about a year. Paying 80+ $$ for a starter kit second hand is ridiculous to me. It is really odd that this company’s business model results in so much product being out of stock so often and for so long. How is this supporting their game?

I really hope they get their act together or someone like GMT or COMPASS acquire the ASL rights, but from the threads tied to ASL this delay and intermittent release pattern seem to be a norm.

It has been frustrating to see so much of their stuff remain out of stock so long when trying to get into the game....and watch their stuff go out of stock so quick. I have moved more to new releases like Screaming Eagles that are frequently supported, restocked and affordable. Not the same game, but at least other friends can access it easily and afford it.

Is product hoarding among players a thing with this game?...The prices over the years for even new releases seem to be excessively inflated and rapidly rising compared to other companies...a real turn off for encouraging new or even existing players. The latest release for Korea is a great example...not a cheap investment up front compared to the majority of games out there and you can only play play a fraction of the scenarios unless you own prior games, and many aren’t in stock nor have been..see those pertinent threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Cocke
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
PedHead wrote:
It is really odd that this company’s business model results in so much product being out of stock so often and for so long.

As much as we would like to keep all ourpotential customers happy, we cannot do that. Some games must go out of print forever, despite the fact that someone still wants to buy it. Some games must go out of print for a little while, despite the fact that someone wants to buy it right away. Balancing our schedule of reprints (which rarely pay for themselves in the first several years) with our new games (which pay for themselves _and_ the reprints people want) is not easy.

PedHead wrote:
How is this supporting their game?

It is supporting the system by ensuring that the system sticks around and that the appropriate games get back into print at the appropriate pace.

PedHead wrote:

I really hope they get their act together or someone like GMT or COMPASS acquire the ASL rights, but from the threads tied to ASL this delay and intermittent release pattern seem to be a norm.

It has been frustrating to see so much of their stuff remain out of stock so long when trying to get into the game

Despite the fact that we continue to try to improve, we think that we have our overall act pretty together, all things considered. GMT prints a lot more games than we do, and COMPASS often prints games faster than we do, but we will stack up our quality (and prices) against anyone.

We understand that it can be frustrating to see games you want to buy not in print. We plan to get ASLSK#2 pack on the shelves this year.

PedHead wrote:
....and watch their stuff go out of stock so quick.

Not sure what you mean here. Nothing goes out of stock before you have a chance to buy it, and I don't think our games generally go out of stock quickly.

PedHead wrote:
I have moved more to new releases like Screaming Eagles that are frequently supported, restocked and affordable. Not the same game, but at least other friends can access it easily and afford it.

Starter Kit not affordable? You lost me there.

PedHead wrote:

Is product hoarding among players a thing with this game?...The prices over the years for even new releases seem to be excessively inflated and rapidly rising compared to other companies...a real turn off for encouraging new or even existing players.

Our prices have always been some of the best in the hobby. They certainly are not "excessively inflated" and I am pretty sure that they are not rising more rapidly than other companies.

PedHead wrote:
The latest release for Korea is a great example...not a cheap investment up front compared to the majority of games out there and you can only play play a fraction of the scenarios unless you own prior games, and many aren’t in stock nor have been..see those pertinent threads.

Forgotten War: Korea 1950-1953 _is_ a good example. It not only contains a lot of quality components, it contains a lot of quality research and development, all for a fair price. FW has been widely praised in the hobby, even by a number of people who were initially skeptical about the endeavor. Granted, one cannot play all of the scenarios without already owning prior games, but that is typical of _all_ ASL releases: they all build on what has come before.

We wish we could sell a game right away to every buyer who wants it, but we cannot sustain such a business model.

We have been privileged to be publishing great games for almost twenty years now, and we plan to be around for a while longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.