Subject: Obscure Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ella Raven
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

I'm tasked with buying a board game for someone I do not know very well and was hoping y'all could help me by providing recommendations. This is what I know:

- She enjoys both party and strategic games
- Usually plays in groups of 3-5
- Not a fan of co-op games
- Enjoys killing everyone at King of Tokyo rather than collecting points
- Owns Ticket to Ride, Catan, King of Tokyo, Dominion, Pit, Princess Bride,
Acquire, Puerto Rico, Pandemic, Zathura and Mille Bornes
- Wants an "obscure" board game

The obscure part if totally throwing me off. I thought of the following: 7 Wonders, Ra, Citadels or Carcassone. I'm sure I'm WAY off with these suggestions since I've only played Catan and Pandemic out of her list.

Any ideas of what she might enjoy considering her preferences?

Thanks much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right on with Ra and Citadels and either would be a good choice, but neither are really obscure. I think she might also like Small World based on your description of how she plays King of Tokyo, and she would probably also like Survive: Escape from Atlantis!, but again, not obscure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Ella!

I think we can definitely help you. Your gift recipient's game collection is mostly very popular games, so it doesn't seem like it will be too difficult to find a suitable game that is just a bit more "obscure" than what she already has. It sounds like she'd like a medium-weight competitive game with lots of direct conflict. You mention that she likes King of Tokyo, but not so much co-operative games, do you have any other information to share about what she likes or dislikes in her current collection? Also, how much are you looking to spend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd consider Cosmic Encounter. Given that most of her games are popular gateway games, I'd think it would be obscure enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a chance that the word “obscure” is being used to mean “not mainstream/mass market.” If so, you can’t go wrong with any of your suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ella Raven
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hi K S,

Unfortunately, that's as much as I know regarding her preferences. I'd like to keep the cost under $65.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

some obscure games from my own collection I can vouch for:

Guts of Glory. Players are disembodied mouths in the post-apocalypse competitively eating trash for GLORY! (has to be bought from the designer's website)

Safranito. Dexterity game mixed with buy/sell market game. Seriously.

My Happy Farm. The game of elongating animals.

Xenon Profiteer. Neat take on deck-building, 'cause it's more the opposite: deck thinning.

Nevermore. Take-That card game with drafting that's important to pay close attention to (unlike most drafting games). Really cool artwork. You can win as last person standing, or with victory points, or being a raven and killing off the rest of the players simultaneously.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ella Raven
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
OutOfHabit wrote:
There is a chance that the word “obscure” is being used to mean “not mainstream/mass market.” If so, you can’t go wrong with any of your suggestions.

Possibly! It doesn't help that I waited until the last minute and now I don't have the option to probe her a bit more. :|

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend Broom Service. Though not very obscure in these parts due to a Kennerspiel win a couple years ago, it should fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Jamie's suggestion of Cosmic Encounter. It supports 3-5 players, it's full of conflict (the theme is that all the players are aliens trying to conquer the galaxy by invading each other), it's roughly as complex as all the other games she has, and while it's a "classic" (it's been published since 1977), it's not as widely known as the others. Plus it's currently on sale for $35 from reputable online boardgame vendor Cardhaus:

http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/cosmic_encounter...

However, if that's not obscure enough, I'm sure we can come up with something better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olympus is pretty obscure, and sounds right up her alley (it's a worker placement game for 3-5 players). We really enjoy it, and it's a little more cutthroat than most worker placement games.

I don't really consider Cosmic Encounter obscure at all. It's ranked in the top 100 on BGG (it's currently #88), and has nearly 25,000 rankings (between its various editions).

Olympus is ranked 1258, with only 1,200 rankings.

To give you an idea about the other games she owns, here are the rankings for those:
Ticket to Ride: #110; 50,000 ratings
Catan: #250; 70,000 ratings
King of Tokyo: #196; 39,00 ratings
Dominion: #58; 58,000 ratings
Pit: #1302; 6,600 ratings (this is not quite as obscure as its numbers suggest)
Princess Bride: There's actually a few games with this name/theme, and I don't know which she has, but none has more than 300 ratings. I'd never heard of this. I consider it a pretty obscure game.
Acquire: #186; 16,000 ratings
Puerto Rico: #12; 49,000
Pandemic: #63; 66,000
Zathura: #13912; 100 (also a pretty obscure game!)
Mille Bornes: #6092; 6,900

I definitely think Cosmic Encounter is less obscure than Acquire or Mille Bornes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale of Merchants or Dale of Merchants 2. This is a deckbuilder, so since she owns Dominion it will feel familiar but fresh. Also fun anthropomorphic animal art.

Sorry I can't get the links to work right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ella Raven
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
The Jade Knight wrote:
Olympus is pretty obscure, and sounds right up her alley (it's a worker placement game for 3-5 players). We really enjoy it, and it's a little more cutthroat than most worker placement games.

I don't really consider Cosmic Encounter obscure at all. It's ranked in the top 100 on BGG (it's currently #88), and has nearly 25,000 rankings (between its various editions).

Olympus is ranked 1258, with only 1,200 rankings.

To give you an idea about the other games she owns, here are the rankings for those:
Ticket to Ride: #110; 50,000 ratings
Catan: #250; 70,000 ratings
King of Tokyo: #196; 39,00 ratings
Dominion: #58; 58,000 ratings
Pit: #1302; 6,600 ratings (this is not quite as obscure as its numbers suggest)
Princess Bride: There's actually a few games with this name/theme, and I don't know which she has, but none has more than 300 ratings. I'd never heard of this. I consider it a pretty obscure game.
Acquire: #186; 16,000 ratings
Puerto Rico: #12; 49,000
Pandemic: #63; 66,000
Zathura: #13912; 100 (also a pretty obscure game!)
Mille Bornes: #6092; 6,900

I definitely think Cosmic Encounter is less obscure than Acquire or Mille Bornes.

Thank you so much for taking the time to gather the stats for those games. Super helpful!

Cosmic Encounter seems to be a recurring recommendation. I just have to make sure I can get it here by Friday as I'm on a deadline.

I'll let you guys know what I end up buying.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Cosmic Encounter. I think your friend will love it. Just enough meanness, infinite replay-ability, great stories to talk about afterward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ella Raven
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
And I just bought Cosmic Encounter and Broom Service, both from Amazon. I was constrained by a tight timeline, so had to go with whatever had a 1-day delivery available. Both did seem to be good choices, so rather than debating which one to get, I went with both.

Hopefully, she'll be happy with the choices.

Thanks, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Isla Dorada is another game by Citadel's creator Bruno Faidutti. Plays great 3 to 5 (up to 6 technically), has a bunch a way to screw people over. And it may look cooperative, but it's definitely not

Known game I'm sure, but much much less than Citadels.

-- edit --

Ouch, you already bought your games. I'm so late with this, sorry blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
Safranito. Dexterity game mixed with buy/sell market game. Seriously.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
World's Fair 1893

This has a great mix of area majority and set collecting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
EllaRaven wrote:
And I just bought Cosmic Encounter and Broom Service, both from Amazon. I was constrained by a tight timeline, so had to go with whatever had a 1-day delivery available. Both did seem to be good choices, so rather than debating which one to get, I went with both.

Hopefully, she'll be happy with the choices.

Thanks, everyone!

I think that those are solid choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Morales
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An Obscure game I played recently called "eschaton" sorry don't know how to link games within bgg. Its Dominion meets risk with a dark cult theme. Very fun deck builder/area control in a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.