Day Life
msg tools
One of the biggest arguments among fans and developers seams to be about the trend of miniature heavy kick starter games. There was a huge glut of these style of kickers making massive bank, but many gamers slowly became tired of the high costs, shipping, and post kicker maintenance (painting, gluing or being stuck with grey plastic).

I feel there is a strong trend now for a retreat back into classical boardgame components. Woodend Tokens, Cardboard chitz and standees.. but as you can imagine this is a bit of a talking point between fans and I assume developers. There are good arguments on both sides and many people claiming one or the other is better.

Recently SoTLS didn't clear 80K with Miniatures and hit 100K+ in a few days with Standees as an option.

I would really like to see how the sales breakdown of minis vs standees looks like in a practical example. How much of a difference did the standee version have, or was the renewed interest in the kicker just a timing thing?

Anyway, if you feel it wouldn't compromise your company in any way I think the BBG community could really learn something from your experience with this kicker and the relaunch with standees by sharing some of the sales information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure you'd get a reasonable idea just by looking at the counts of the different pledge levels in the KS. It's public information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
One of the biggest arguments among fans and developers seams to be about the trend of miniature heavy kick starter games. There was a huge glut of these style of kickers making massive bank, but many gamers slowly became tired of the high costs, shipping, and post kicker maintenance (painting, gluing or being stuck with grey plastic).

I feel there is a strong trend now for a retreat back into classical boardgame components. Woodend Tokens, Cardboard chitz and standees.. but as you can imagine this is a bit of a talking point between fans and I assume developers. There are good arguments on both sides and many people claiming one or the other is better.

Recently SoTLS didn't clear 80K with Miniatures and hit 100K+ in a few days with Standees as an option.

I would really like to see how the sales breakdown of minis vs standees looks like in a practical example. How much of a difference did the standee version have, or was the renewed interest in the kicker just a timing thing?

Anyway, if you feel it wouldn't compromise your company in any way I think the BBG community could really learn something from your experience with this kicker and the relaunch with standees by sharing some of the sales information.

Currently running about 400 backers of Minis vs 115 Standees
(in the all-in versions 336 mini backers vs 105 Standee)
Gives you an idea at least...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i love minis, but with 1.000 of minis unpainted at home, i was thinking about the standee version.

but with only 50$ difference, it is a no brainer to get the mini version i think.

edit: just saw that i missunderstood it, the 200$ version is the non early bird one. so its 100$ difference....

damn it now i have to rethink it fast....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
i love minis, but with 1.000 of minis unpainted at home, i was thinking about the standee version.

but with only 50$ difference, it is a no brainer to get the mini version i think.

edit: just saw that i missunderstood it, the 200$ version is the non early bird one. so its 100$ difference....

Less than 2 hours to catch the EBs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:

I'll admit that I made the same mistake at first, and so pledged for the mins version before dropping to the standee version (mere minutes later).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:

Certainly a great question and discussion!

Please compare our Kickstarter campaigns:

One to look at that was STANDEE ONLY and then fans asked for minis is our most recent Metal Dawn.

Please let me know what you think of that campaign. See how it did compare to the minis campaign and also note that after we did only standees that people wanted minis. Its a very difficult market.

Check it out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/everythingepicgames/met...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I simply can't justify $100 for minis, no matter how nice they might appear. Not without playing the game first to see whether the expense of minis is worth it (Plus I don't paint)

I notice shipping is the same though?! I'd think it would be a bit cheaper being standees
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrVarnor wrote:
I simply can't justify $100 for minis, no matter how nice they might appear. Not without playing the game first to see whether the expense of minis is worth it (Plus I don't paint)

I notice shipping is the same though?! I'd think it would be a bit cheaper being standees

Shipping is just an estimate. So it may or may not be different. If the box size is similar, the "Volumetric Weight" of the game may be the same, which makes the pricing the same

Thanks

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.