Subject: Combat doubt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flaviano Castiglia
Italy
Varese
flag msg tools
Hi all,
I posted this question in general forum, but they said to me to ask here.
I and my friends have a doubt about combat rules:
at page 22 of rulebook it's written:
"Combat happens only between the two players whose units share a territory, either of whom can gain a star for winning the combat."

However in the next page it's written:
"Each player can gain a maximum of 2 stars for winning combat [...], but they may still engage in future combats after they’ve achieved those 2 stars".

So, in case a player has two combat stars, can he attack another player having 2 combat stars?

First interpretation: yes, he can attack the second player because the second rule overwrites the first one.
Second interpretation: no, he can't, because the second rule is written to specify that a player with two combat stars can attack a player with zero or one combat star...

Could you explain this, please?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can attack people all you want in the game regardless of who the target is.

Black is the only team that will score more than two stars for victories in those combats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you're trying to read too much into the rules. The whole point is that you can only earn a maximum of 2 stars for combat, but you can fight as much as you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you're interpreting this statement too heavily.

Combat happens only between the two players whose units share a territory, either of whom can gain a star for winning the combat.

Turning that into :

Combat happens only between:
- The two players whose units share a territory
- Either of whom are eligible to gain a star

The rule is that "Combat happens between the two players whose units share a territory."

"Either of whom can gain a star for winning the combat" is intended to be a separate point to clarify that attacker or defender could win the combat and gain a star.

It is not saying that a person who has both stars cannot be in combat.

In a super-strict editing of the rules I would say that we could remove the second part of the sentence or at least make it a separate sentence with more clarity but I don't think this interpretation of the sentence is going to be common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To break it down a bit more:

Combat occurs between two players. Full stop. Basically, once the active player moves combat units into a hex occupied by another player's combat units a fight occurs.

Now, after that fight is over you will evaluate possible combat achievement stars. If the winner does not already have 2 stars for combat, or is Saxony, they gain an achievement star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flaviano Castiglia
Italy
Varese
flag msg tools
Thank you very much. Now it's clear.
Due to the fact it's not a warfare game, the second interpretation rises from the idea that this rule could be intended to have more strategy in combat choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.