Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Mega Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Minimalist Civ Advances rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Richardson
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb




I've finished a first draft of a minimalist redesign of the Mega Civ advances. They're a companion for the similar redesign of the map I posted recently. Comments and corrections welcome. Once these are mature I'll put them in the files section.

Glory to Rome Black Box edition was a pretty strong inspiration for these. If you like that style, you'll probably like these too.

They're based on the most recent version on the game website, so they should include all corrections/errata since the game was printed.

I've edited the text on some of the cards for readability. If I've misinterpreted a card, or the text is confusing, please let me know and I can revise it.

I also changed the Crafts color from orange to brown. This helps differentiate it from Religion, which needs a rich yellow to show up on a white background.

The line art/icons is from Flaticon; all of it is licensed for noncommercial reuse. Almost all of the text is from Wikipedia.

Most of the art choices I'm pretty happy with, but if anyone has ideas for better art for the Trade Routes, Trade Empire, Naval Warfare, or Philosophy cards in particular, I'm all ears.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. but you're using the aztec calendar in an eurasian based region.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Wow pretty cool! I've always been a fan of alternative takes on boardgame art!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Richardson
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flodehaan wrote:
Great. but you're using the aztec calendar in an eurasian based region.


Yeah, should have included that in the short list of advances that I'm not really happy with the art for. It's hard to find representative art, partly because there's so much modern calendar icon art cluttering up search results.

I can tell myself that someday I'll use or make a Central America board, so that card would fit better.

The Philosophy art is also clearly Chinese, also from off the map. It's hard to find something evocative for abstract concepts. The original art's choice of figures from Raphael's School of Athens is a great way to do it, but that's hard to replicate with line art.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
richarnd wrote:
Flodehaan wrote:
Great. but you're using the aztec calendar in an eurasian based region.


Yeah, should have included that in the short list of advances that I'm not really happy with the art for. It's hard to find representative art, partly because there's so much modern calendar icon art cluttering up search results.

I can tell myself that someday I'll use or make a Central America board, so that card would fit better.

The Philosophy art is also clearly Chinese, also from off the map. It's hard to find something evocative for abstract concepts. The original art's choice of figures from Raphael's School of Athens is a great way to do it, but that's hard to replicate with line art.


Look for the Egyptian Calendar, which is the oldest.
http://bit.ly/2jCm4nr

The modern zodiac signs are based on this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Philosophy, perhaps something relating to The Thinker (Rodin)?

Or, for truly minimalist, how about "∃" (i.e., the symbol for 'there exists')?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Richardson
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flodehaan wrote:
Look for the Egyptian Calendar, which is the oldest.


Becq wrote:
For Philosophy, perhaps something relating to The Thinker (Rodin)?

Or, for truly minimalist, how about "∃" (i.e., the symbol for 'there exists')?


Both good ideas, thanks.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work, Theocracy text is duplicated under Written Record.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Richardson
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - and thanks for catching the error! I was about to send the cards to the printer tomorrow.

You also asked in reply to the image about a German version. I'm re-posting my reply here in case others are interested:

Thanks - would be glad to help translate. It might be easier, however, just to replace the text on the back of the cards with similar text from German wikipedia. The game-related text on the front of the cards has already been translated, I think.

Also, auf (mein schlectes) Deutsch:

Danke - Ich wuerde gern helfen, die Karten in Deutsch zu ubersetzen. Es waere einfacher, glaube ich, Text auf die Rueckenseiten nur von Deutschen Wikipedia zu holen, statt das englisches Text zu uebersetzen. Das Spiel-text an die Vorderseite ist schon erhaeltlich, glaube ich.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Richardson
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the fixed back for Written Record.

I'm planning to post these in the files section shortly. Corrections of course still welcome.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Richardson
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PDFs of these minimalist advances are posted in the files section:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/153522/minimalist-redesig...

Similarly-styled version of the map, player aids, and trade cards are there too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.