Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Character sweet spot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Livingston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Kickstarter waiting on copy here. While waiting I have just read reviews and watched gameplay. I have obviously noticed the too easy comments. Curious if there is a sweet spot of character numbers to make the game that right amount of difficult. I have gathered more characters = more difficult. I usually play solo so I figured 3-4. Any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Good
msg tools
My 4 player campaign is having an easier time than my 3 player.
3 player would be my recommendation for campaigns but Massive Darkness works really well with 4-6 as one shots.
I have played 2 one off games and they were balanced yet challenging.
Massive Darkness has become my light RPG boardgame.

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a bunch of random stuff in the game so difficulty can vary a lot.

Regardless of the number of players, for example, a double roaming monster spawn at the beginning with some cool weapons attached to them can mean a short adventure.

With less players you get more loot, so if you want to keep the loot in check 4-plus is the number to go. That said, if you get good equipment even with less loot drops, it really does not matter, as it will be easy anyway.

My advice is to play with the maximum number you feel confortable tracking stats and enjoy the ride.

If you really need a number I would say four. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vail Marston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I played with four characters for my first (solo) game. It was pretty overwhelming and took forever to finish. I would suggest starting with no more than three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A totally untested idea - as the game tends to be too easy anyway, maybe have a main hero with class sheet and for the other (three) characters don't use a class sheet at all and ignore XP for these - kind of like having NPCs.

This should make the game only slightly tougher (you still get equipment for the NPCs) and reduce the bookkeeping a lot. You could also house rule that the NPCs cannot be resurrected, you just play with one NPC less when they die.

I am using this when playing with my kids, the younger one does not grasp the complexity of the class sheets but can play along fine without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
A totally untested idea - as the game tends to be too easy anyway, maybe have a main hero with class sheet and for the other (three) characters don't use a class sheet at all and ignore XP for these - kind of like having NPCs.

This should make the game only slightly tougher (you still get equipment for the NPCs) and reduce the bookkeeping a lot. You could also house rule that the NPCs cannot be resurrected, you just play with one NPC less when they die.

I am using this when playing with my kids, the younger one does not grasp the complexity of the class sheets but can play along fine without it.

I really like this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.