Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reportedly, Trump and the Dem leadership have reached a deal on DACA.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/14/senior-democ...

As for Republicans shocked by this, welcome to the Trump first (and second, and quite possibly third) wives club. Remember, Repubs, he's still super-pissed that you made him look bad on health care. (You didn't think HE was going to take any share of the blame for that fiasco, did you? That is SO not his way.) On the bright side for the Repubs, they def still have custody of the Cabinet, which from a Dem point of view remains a tangled mass of multi-eyed, multi-tenticled evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Key quote, I think it gets to the meat of it;

Quote:
Blumenthal added: “Trump doesn’t despise Schumer and Pelosi but he does hate McConnell and Ryan. He feels they have humiliated him. Trump’s central motive is revenge for perceived humiliation, which is a constant for him.”

Of course none of us thought that he'd do anything good for any even remotely positive reason ><
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I bet Trump is doing this to not only humiliate them, but to show them he will continue to undermine them if they don't start towing the line.

I'm getting a kick out of it, I hope there continues to be a war between Trump Co. and the GOP. Some good stuff might happen, like the relief package for Houston.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

I bet Trump is doing this to not only humiliate them, but to show them he will continue to undermine them if they don't start towing the line.

I'm getting a kick out of it, I hope there continues to be a war between Trump Co. and the GOP. Some good stuff might happen, like the relief package for Houston.

I hope everyone hit by Irma gets a relief package for sure. Houston has it bad but some of the pictures coming out of Irma look apocalyptic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I hope everyone hit by Irma gets a relief package for sure. Houston has it bad but some of the pictures coming out of Irma look apocalyptic.

Houston may end up having it worse though, both in damages and in deaths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Houston may end up having it worse though, both in damages and in deaths.

It's close- 75 here- 61 to irma (less in the U.S.). But it's early days for irma. It took a long time for some of the harvey fatalities to be found and reported.

I hope it remains low for irma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump, in my opinion, is defintely sending a message to McConnell and Ryan, that he is willing to work with Dems if it means pushing thru what he wants, or if it makes him look good. Coming to DACA agreement will not go well with his conservative base, but this move may endear him to DACA immigrants, while at the same time beefing up border security A win-win for Trump. I doubt the wall will be part of this package, but at least he will be able to point to some progress on the security front, and thumb his nose at McConnell and Ryan at the same time, pointing out no doubt that they had nothing to do with the windfall.

Trump was never a Republican, and his pragmatism is driven by personal ego. If it's not good for his base, or good for him (him trumping in this case, no pun intended), he'll throw you under the bus.

Trump teaming with Dems, however, may not play well to voters in the end, and I think the Repubs do have to be worried about that, in terms of mid-term election losses in 2018. But the Trump train is already rolling, and I only wonder how many Republicans will be crushed by it, in 2018.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/politics/chuck-schumer-nancy-p...

Trump doing a song and dance on this one. Can't make his mind up, laughs.

But I ask Dems this - Should they cave and give the President and hard liners a package for border security (and shock! the wall), or should they let the Republicans alone deal with the DACA issue, and when it is fu*ked up badly, let them take the blame.

If there were't human lives in the balance, I'd let the Repubs hang themselves by their own noose of Trumps making. But part of me also believes, that, given Trumps recent tweets, he is not altogether in favor of deporting DACA immigrants. Should the Dems call a possible bluff on his part?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/politics/chuck-schumer-nancy-p...

Trump doing a song and dance on this one. Can't make his mind up, laughs.

He watched Fox and Friends this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although considered a bit right leaning for presidential polling, Rasmussen's issue polling is usually considered decent.

Republicans are actually enthusiastic about Trump working with Dems (more so than Dems are)

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trum...

Quote:
Republicans (72%) are even more enthusiastic about the president working with congressional Democrats than Democrats (62%) and voters not affiliated with either major party (63%) are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
Although considered a bit right leaning for presidential polling, Rasmussen's issue polling is usually considered decent.

Republicans are actually enthusiastic about Trump working with Dems (more so than Dems are)

Quote:
Republicans (72%) are even more enthusiastic about the president working with congressional Democrats than Democrats (62%) and voters not affiliated with either major party (63%) are.
I'm actually surprised, it must be the vocal minority who hate Pelosi only a fraction less than Hillary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:

Quote:

I'd agree, most voters are pragmatic, they don't care HOW it gets done, just that it gets done. Congressional Dems are probably willing to accept this, and approve, if it gets them agenda items passed that they find favorable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.