Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Modern-era War games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian hunt
United States
red rock
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my collection thus far is something like 90% WW2 with a spattering of WW1, ACW, ancients, space, korea and vietnam wars. When looking up modern-era war games most of what I see is vitnam-era and a few things in the 80's. I was wondering if anyone knew of some good games representing 90's-today. I do know about lock and loaded, boots on the ground and most of the DVG stuff. most of what I've seen is the solo DVG stuff and tactical. next war series looks good but is this all there is? I'm interested in all realms; tactical, grand scale, solo, etc.
5 
 Thumb up
8.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Urban Operations
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Labyrinth
A Distant Plain
Angola- not so long ago
The Next War games from GMT
9 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
21st century conflicts

has 70 items on it, all levels of conflict, all taking place after 2000.

Brian
17 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian hunt
United States
red rock
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, I looked up modern warfare and there was a small geeklist that was 50% pre 90's.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian hunt
United States
red rock
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like a lot of these come out of modern combat magazine. Is it a good magazine, or are they mostly hit and miss? At $150+ for a subscription I'd hate to get 1 decent magazine game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
paintballinrn wrote:
It looks like a lot of these come out of modern combat magazine. Is it a good magazine, or are they mostly hit and miss? At $150+ for a subscription I'd hate to get 1 decent magazine game.


The subscription system is the spawn of Beelzebub. Not recommended.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This microbadge will help to inspire your quest:

mb
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Next War series - GMT Games (Poland to be released this year, operational present day)

Fire Team Red Eclipse - Lock ’n Load (pre-order, tactical ’80s and ’90s)

Armageddon War series - Flying Pig Games (available now, grand tactical Mideast circa 2028)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MBT (second edition)..real technical stuff...

Tac Air is an old The Avalon Hill Game Co title, but it will hold up well today so if you can find it is represents the air-land battle concept well. It is not really tactical though as you have Zones of Control and all that higher level stuff.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Alas, I found most of the Modern War stuff fairly forgettable. I did like Dragon vs Bear: China vs Russia, though it had (as usual with DG) serious errata issues

There are a number of older games worth hunting down.

Air & Armor is by far the best modern operational game, evah
Tac Air is almost as good, but with a bunch of weird rules. They are strictly speaking pre-90, but could be considered sort of relevant until 1991.

Desert Victory and Main Battle Area are very interesting, done by ex-military designers who knew what they were doing, but seriously ugly
Phase Line Smash has a very good reputation as being historically accurate, but so far its hideous (and seriously long) rules have kept me from trying it

Chad: The Toyota Warsis probably the closest you can come as a gamer to running a third world economy in the ground by a protracted power struggle.

8 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian hunt
United States
red rock
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
Alas, I found most of the Modern War stuff fairly forgettable. I did like Dragon vs Bear: China vs Russia, though it had (as usual with DG) serious errata issues

There are a number of older games worth hunting down.

Air & Armor is by far the best modern operational game, evah
Tac Air is almost as good, but with a bunch of weird rules. They are strictly speaking pre-90, but could be considered sort of relevant until 1991.

Desert Victory and Main Battle Area are very interesting, done by ex-military designers who knew what they were doing, but seriously ugly
Phase Line Smash has a very good reputation as being historically accurate, but so far its hideous (and seriously long) rules have kept me from trying it

Chad: The Toyota Warsis probably the closest you can come as a gamer to running a third world economy in the ground by a protracted power struggle.



It's what I am noticing. Been looking trying to have something to bring to the table that friends/family that may be more recognizable but a lot I have noticed seems ho-hum and most of it is tactical. the next war stuff seemed promising but I am starting to hear some murmuring about rules not making sense, or 1 person being able to do something and another not with no real explanation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phase Line Smash is well worth the effort and you just need to get through the first turn to understand what an innovative game it actually is. If you ever wondered what it would be like to command a corps in modern combat then this is the game for you. Trying to assign objectives, managing logistics (yes, there are lots of counters for fuel/ammo trucks), air strikes, passage of lines, etc., then this game will let you experience it. Getting through the rule book is not easy and the map (a blown up jpeg) will blur your vision after awhile, but it is definitely worth the effort.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:


Is there a place in NA that sells it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
jaybeethree wrote:
leroy43 wrote:


Is there a place in NA that sells it?


I believe the publisher ships worldwide.
Otherwise, it looks like you can get it from Noble Knight.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:


This looks interesting!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a Modern war "filler" card game that I can recommend Modern Land Battles: Target Acquired. It plays very quick with a surprising emphasis on maneuver despite it being a card game with no maps. I find it to be a lot of fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
paintballinrn wrote:
So my collection thus far is something like 90% WW2 with a spattering of WW1, ACW, ancients, space, korea and vietnam wars. When looking up modern-era war games most of what I see is vitnam-era and a few things in the 80's. I was wondering if anyone knew of some good games representing 90's-today. I do know about lock and loaded, boots on the ground and most of the DVG stuff. most of what I've seen is the solo DVG stuff and tactical. next war series looks good but is this all there is? I'm interested in all realms; tactical, grand scale, solo, etc.


This topic pops up every so often. Part of the problem with ultra-modern (1990+) wars from a strategic perspective is that they are mostly low intensity and non-conventional.

The three big conventional wars that would best be represented by traditional hex and big maneuver units include the following but each have their detractors:

- Gulf War: One sided fight and is best represented in Phase Line Smash as a solo game
- Yugoslav War: A long war with a lots of periods of inactivity, trench warfare, sieges, etc. i.e. not a very mobile war.
- Iraq War (prior to the insurgency): same as the Gulf War... one sided and just a race against the clock as opposed to the Iraqis actually winning.

The rest of the modern insurgency wars at a strategic level are better served in a different game model other than a hex by hex movement with units maneuvering. This is seen in the popular COIN or COIN-like games where area control and influence control better represent strategic than a tank battalion vs. infantry brigade.

Tactical level in ultra-modern is popular mostly due to the technology involved. I'll also argue it's also been popularized by video games that emphasize the cool weapons at a lower tactical scale than anything above platoon scale.

GMT Next War Series fits the bill but these are of course hypothetical conventional wars.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not many games fit the bill you are asking while not falling in the field of speculation and what ifs. As others have said, most of the recent conflicts have been very a-symmetrical in their nature, thus lending themsleves more to the COIN treatment and its variations than anything else when it comes to the strategic level.

A few of my recommendations.

"Operational"games:
Operation Anaconda
Persian Incursion
Kandahar
Force Eagle's War

In the tactical domain:
Urban Operations
Phantom Fury (OOP for now...unfortunately)
Ranger

COIN from a different perspective:
BCT Command: Kandahar
Battle for Baghdad

Not really 'wargames', but some good fun:
Eagles & Missiles
Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lock 'n Load Tactical: Day of Heroes. It has now a reprint with X-maps and Battle Generator. You can now play all Lock 'n Load-games with their Lock 'n Load Tactical: Solo.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.