Massive Darkness» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Quest 3 - Whisper, I CHOOSE YOU!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing my playthrough, once again utilizing the single skill path variant.

The team was a repeat from Quest 2. Bjorn - The Charging Shadow Barbarian, Whisper - The Slippery Bloodmoon Nightrunner, and Elias - The Fireballing Battle Wizard.

I will run this again with a new trio, but quest 2 didn't really give my heroes a chance to shine which such a pressing objective. I wanted to see how their personalities played out over a longer game. For those of you following along at home you will notice that Elias did not go the Freeze route this time, I elected to give up some crowd control in exchange for some tasty, tasty, damage.

Stakes are pretty high in this quest, by having a chosen one who cannot be allowed to die, this one takes a little bit more forethought. I'm not going to lie, going into it, I figured this would be a cakewalk, my previous lucky draws and hot dice giving me a false sense of security and a moderately inflated ego.

Turns out the pretty pretty pony Chromatis brought me crashing back to reality. I had cleared the first two rooms with ease, my heroes were practically strutting about the corridors. I had neglected to look closely at his spawn card. Thinking he was melee only, I set a cunning trap where Whisper would open up on him at range to start the next turn. Of course, when I activated Chromatis, I read to check his special rules and noticed... yep, he has a 2 red dice magic attack. He promptly 1 shotted the shocked rogue ending the game with a smug whinny. (Next time horse face, next time).

Considering the speed of my defeat, I decided to restart the adventure. My dice suddenly went cold. Picking up the story...

Whisper and Bjorn were having a very rough go of it. The Goblin Warriors and Troglodyte Brutes should have been easy targets, yet there they were, battered and bruised. Fortunately, Elias had been there to prevent the two from dying, but Bjorn teetered on the edge of collapse.

Making matters worse,a Cliffbreaker Cyclops came crashing through the hallway. Carrying his pet rock with him. The heroes stood no chance against that monstrosity. For the first time that the Lightbringers could remember, they were going to have to hide. Whisper, had to sprint to get around a corner and into the shadows, cowering next to the grievously wounded Bjorn. Elias stayed down the far corridor. He could teleport past the monster easy enough, he just had to stay in it's blind spot, which come to think of it was pretty enormous.

The plucky adventures slipped past unnoticed, Elias zapping the rock carrying giant on the way by for good measure. Good fortune smiled on the heroes as the next section of dungeon provided a bounty of treasure (including the shadow orb which Elias used to great success in healing up his comrades). Sticking to the shadows, a firm foothold was gained. A nasty Ogre Mage gave the heroes some trouble, but beyond that the team was working together quite well. Whisper repeatedly sprinted to and fro in the dungeon, launching sneak attacks and breaking line of sight to avoid any chance at counter attacks. Between Elias healing, and Bjorn quickly regaining his vigor, the heroes continued their search for the fabled treasure.

The adventurers advanced yet deeper, the heroes were beginning to work together like a well oiled machine. Whisper, close to gaining her birthright was a fast moving shadow. Hitting enemies and disappearing before they even knew she was there. Bjorn was charging maniacally, his sword and axe scattering enemies as they scurried to avoid the crazed Barbarian's wrath. Elias was raining fire and brimstone lighting the darkness as they went.

They came at last to a room off a side tunnel. Whisper could practically hear the fragments calling out to her. Smashing open the door on surprised Reptisaurians, the heroes cleared the room. Whisper at last grasped the final artifact fragment the item transformed into the one treasure she had been seeking her entire life. The fabled Nightrunner Mask.

Darkness is not keen on sharing it's treasures, a Liliarch came rushing from the gloom, sensing the the sudden surge in power. Whisper became a blur. The Liliarch desperately slashed with her 8 arms at first trying to smite the tiny thief. The vile creature realized quickly that it was in trouble. It had suddenly devote all her arms to defense in a desperate attempt to defend against the painful cuts and slashes that ripped through her scaly hide. Hitting nothing but air, the monster slumped dead on the floor.

Elias motioned toward a room up ahead, the gradual slope upward made it seem likely that this was a way out. Bjorn tore the door from its hinges, leaping on the Goblin Archers in the room before they could react. The last thing to go through the leader's mind was Bjorn's helm. With the way clear, Whisper, Elias, and Bjorn slipped through the exit while the Cliffbringer Cyclops roared in frustration in the distance.

Overall this quest is nowhere near as intense as 2, but it's still a lot of fun. I was pleased with the overall flow of it, and I really liked the fact that I had to hightail it off the first tile and on to the second. This was a very enjoyable adventure.

The Nightrunner Mask for Whisper was totally coincidental, but my god did it work with my adventure. It was just perfect, I couldn't have scripted it better. In Whisper's hands that mask is ridiculously overpowered, but that moment of her getting the artifact and then whipping through 4 movement actions and killing the Liliarch without ever rolling the dice was one of the coolest most cinematic moments I've experienced in board gaming (or actual RPGs for that matter).

At this point I feel pretty confident in recommending the single skill path variant. You lose synergy with some of those skills but the game just plays so much cleaner. The escalating power of the attack dice more than offset what your heroes lose. It also gives your adventurers a unique personality. Slippery for example, works really well with Whisper, but I'd love to build a Safeshot or Sneak Attack nightrunner with another character down the line. This really makes them pop.

Next heroes up, Ajax, Sarah, and Silence!

*Edited for formatting and terrible spelling and grammar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool! How do you handle XP gain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
Sounds cool! How do you handle XP gain?

You still have to gain the XP to unlock the skills. You wind up spending most of your XP on signature abilities. Just as an example, Whisper's skill expenditure topped out at 30 XP (5 for Slippery, 10 for advanced Slippery, 5 for +1 max health, 10 for +2 max health).

With Whisper this isn't really a big deal because the Bloodmoon Nightrunner signature is really useful, and you use it quite frequently. I did hit the XP max with Siegfried on Quest 1, so especially if you are doing a quest without some type of timer, that absolutely can occur.

Your heroes are still pretty powerful, but charging forward and killing whatever spawned in your activation is no longer the no brainer choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lowe
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
We chose our Whisper player (we were running with five people) to be the Chosen One. We noted that 1) to win it did not say the final room had to be empty and 2) the Chosen One automatically gets the artifact when the third piece is gathered at the library. Whisper drew a random artifact giving him a 4th action. With 3 zones of move, slippery and 4 actions he ran right from the library token right out the door!

Things on this scenario we are going to change: the final room does not unlock until both sentinels have been killed and the exit room must be empty of guards with guards spawning on the exit when the first sentinel dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.