Subject: Invisible overlord and interrupts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Trying to figure out how the solo play works. I think I understand how the Invisible Overlord cards with Interrupt - Yes, works. But what about Overlord cards that are Interrupts? Can they also be played and when. And what about other Overlord cards? How to decide what card to play? Or am I doing this wrong and they're completely replaced by the Invisible Overlord cards? It's not very clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
The OL cards are completely replaced by the IO-Deck.
You can use it as a time-counter for the scenarios. Meaning you build thexdeck for the scenario as instructed then discard three cards (the starting hand) and then discard one card at the end of the turn.
When you cant discard because the deck is empty you have lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Helpful as always, Thorsten 😊. That does make a lot of sense. Played quest 2 solo with both stacks of Overlord card stacks and it got quite fiddly and cumbersome. But at the same time not that hard to beat. Maybe it's still supposed to be quite easy. As long as Danor is kept in the background and spams the troll with fire it's possible to just fight one skeleton at a time in the doorway. Am I playing this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been some time since I played this solo. And the whole threat-mechanic threw me completely off at first.

As I recall I failed 'Well met' the first time. Danor and Madriga made to fast progress and got to the first door well ahead of Rordin and Orlaf. There they were surrounded by skeletons. I think the IO draw some interupts that screwed me.
The second time around I coordinated better between the groups.
The scenario where you meet the troll can have a time problem. I think I opend the last door on the last turn.
Also players are sometimes too intimidated when they see the troll.
When I played against some friends Danor debuffed that guy and the melee-heroes killed him in one turn.

The first real problem is the scenario with the banshee. I lost that... he has a tendency to target poor Danor. And when she gets the interupts from the IO-Deck she gets really powerful.

I hav to throw the game on the table again. I think that was as far as I played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
It's been some time since I played this solo. And the whole threat-mechanic threw me completely off at first.

As I recall I failed 'Well met' the first time. Danor and Madriga made to fast progress and got to the first door well ahead of Rordin and Orlaf. There they were surrounded by skeletons. I think the IO draw some interupts that screwed me.
The second time around I coordinated better between the groups.
The scenario where you meet the troll can have a time problem. I think I opend the last door on the last turn.
Also players are sometimes too intimidated when they see the troll.
When I played against some friends Danor debuffed that guy and the melee-heroes killed him in one turn.

The first real problem is the scenario with the banshee. I lost that... he has a tendency to target poor Danor. And when she gets the interupts from the IO-Deck she gets really powerful.

I hav to throw the game on the table again. I think that was as far as I played solo.
yes its a top game.very underrated!...some top game mechanics.and each expansion fetches something new!! the Banshee quest is a real gem of a quest...pretty tough to do we are talking pure tactics!!..not many Dungeon crawlers you can say that about nowadays!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Belloque wrote:
Trying to figure out how the solo play works. I think I understand how the Invisible Overlord cards with Interrupt - Yes, works. But what about Overlord cards that are Interrupts? Can they also be played and when. And what about other Overlord cards? How to decide what card to play? Or am I doing this wrong and they're completely replaced by the Invisible Overlord cards? It's not very clear.

See Here for discussion of IO rules:

http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/2015/11/dungeon-saga-adventu...

See Here for expanded IO Rules:
http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/2016/03/dungeon-saga-invisib...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the links! Before, I really thought the criticism of the solo play was exaggerated but now I kinda understand what it was all about. It's really fiddly and just too many variables to keep track of. Perhaps it will get better with time but it does work best when I just go for the best decisions I can come up with as Overlord even if thats not really playing against an AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
The core issue is probably that most of the "tactics" in the game are really about positioning models but the AI gives very little guidance on this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.