Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why RB3 and THIS expansion:

I wanted to have a SOLO world adventure game that was not too difficult and could be played out in one sitting.

Oddly, I don't see other games fulfilling this role atm as the World of Warcraft boardgame is OOP and takes a bit longer while you need the (excellent) solo variant on BGG to even play it solo.

I do not consider Mage Knight a valid alternative either. Too euro card count like, I mean conquering a City with one character is NOT thematic at all. As for Andor, that's a pure Euro really, devoided of any good elements of thematic games as we know them.

Perhaps I was too harsh on MG, but since Magic Realm I have been on a Quest to find something similar with awesome imaginary adventures but in a playable form...

-----------
So in RB3 WITH this solo expansion I get at least some world adventuring without this gamey stuff and with an easy going game for 1.5-2 hours.

ALSO' I avoided RB3 until this solo expansion !

Why? Because doing "both sides" in combat simply sucks as I encountered some REAL gems in solo gaming with Conflict of Heroes the solo expansion and the DDay series of John Butterfield.

RB3 takes me on world questing with an excellent timer mechanism. Stress and choices to make in a very limited time is great.

As such - for the moment - RB3 is the only decent one. Perhaps Fall Out could be a next contender in this field of THEMATIC solo open world adventuring.

If I should compare RB3 with ANYTHING, I would point to Eldritch Horror.

But they supplement each other nicely.

Contrary to what others may say: the solo combat system changed the game completely. You no longer need to be schizo to beat the foes and bosses.

The 2 extra quests and adaptations to the old ones are varied and quite good. The extra mini cards boost replayability too.

The 4 different AI combat cards were a nice addition. A mage has now very different combat tokens for example.

Solo 9/10.

Difficulty to learn 4/10.

Far cousin of Eldritch Horror but pure Fantasy

Better than The Witcher, much better than Talisman.

Scale on must have due to the lack of open world adventuring in boardgames: 8/10.

I would only play RB3 with this expansion, UNLESS you want a PvP version of the game, but I am for 95% a solo player.

Next game to compare it with: Probably Fall Out from FFG.

See you then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it!, Bought this but have several other games in line first, then I'll open up this bad boy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been enjoying Rb3E since late last year in 2-player sessions. A couple of weeks ago we had our first try with this expansion, playing the co-op version of the Margath scenario, and it was great. The enemy combat boards work like a charm, and I can see trying this solo sometime in the not too distant future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic review thank you, just 1 thing comparing it to Eldritch Horror- I just don't see it, in EH I understand it's move encounter mythos rinse repeat but let me tell you for a game that lasts about 2 hours my play group of 2 don't go through many adventure cards compared to EH.

To me this seems like a game between Talisman which you've mentioned and a watered down Mage knight puzzel like combat except in Runebound the tokens are kinda of stactic at first and as you play you add on tokens like you do cards in Mage knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.