Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Yoder
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players were, in turn order, Rob, myself, Roberto, Mick.

This was one of the more unusual and lopsided games of Puerto Rico I have played. For one thing, I took the hospice but not the hacienda this time, so I had a plethora of people. I even took the mayor one time, when there was a dubloon on it and I would get three people while everybody else got one. I put two of those people in San Juan. I’ve never done that before.

Secondly, I was able to get coffee working before anyone else was even close to competing with me. I also had a small market. I was able to take the Trader with two dubloons on it, and with my two quarries, buy a large building with the proceeds. Nobody had anything good to sell so stopping me would have been mere self sacrifice. But even if they had, the fact that I could sell coffee at will without bothering with an office was huge. Roberto had a similar advantage with Tobacco, but didn’t get as much opportunity to use it. Rob and Mick were going with a factory strategy, trying to produce a number of different types of goods. Mick also had the hacienda and hospice, and was shipping a lot of corn.

In the end, I managed to get three large buildings and Roberto got two. When I ended the game by building, I was a little worried about him since he had shipped more than I had. But it didn’t turn out to be as much as I feared, and I cruised to an early victory.

I was a bit surprised that the others let me get away with my coffee monopoly. After all, Roberto had cleaned up in an earlier game of PR using just this tactic, and Mick was playing then too. Of course, that was at least six months ago, so maybe the others just don’t have as much “game memory” as I do. I guess writing these session reports may pay some dividends I didn’t even look for.

--Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.