Samurai Vassal» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Boardgames Above and Beyond rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim ----
Belgium
flag msg tools

Hi,

Thanks to you all I'm able to run a beautiful Instagramchannel. I'm so grateful to you all. Lately this enables me to sometimes test out new and unpublished games. These games are often coming from Kickstarter. This is the case with the following game and it is still open for backers. It closes on the 28th of September 2017. The project can be found on: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/36768726/samurai-vassal...

In Samurai Vassal you are playing a samurai in ancient Japan. At that time Japan didn't have a ruler and it was split as such in different regions ruled by warlords, called daimyos.

Each player is, as I said before, a samurai and they try to propose policies to their daimyos to get and gain more trust.

Each player discusses every round what kind of policy they would like to propose. Alliances may be formed, but also backstabbing is allowed. The proposal round is blind. This all in order to gain the most trust from the daiymos. The first player to reach 12 trust points is the winner.

The game is geared to two to six players. We tried it out with two and it was fun, but we felt it would shine better with a bigger amount of players. Every game takes around 20 minutes to play and it is suited for ages 12 and up (although even younger ages can play it, I think).

Before play we off course read the rules. Honestly at first I didn't really understand them at first, but they became very clear during play. Every player chooses their color to play with and a character to help them out. This last choosing is done in a special way by pulling three characters out of the deck, choosing one and putting the other two back in. Than it is the next player's turn to choose a character.
The game is played by discussing tactics first and than putting them down. Every approved proposal is laid face up. They gain trust points for these proposals. This building of proposal goes until a player's proposal is not approved. Then all of the cards on the table are put face down. They don't count anymore for trust points. There is one card that lets a player refresh their handcards, but this means they also loose their build up trust point machine .

It is a really short game with two. The discussion didn't really took place in this game, because no alliances were formed. Therefor it was more trying to guess what the other would do and counteract that. At the end of the game we realized we had fun guessing and reacting to the other. My boyfriend is a lot better at these kind of games, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy myself. I had fun and I would really love to play the game again!
This game is on Kickstarter until 28th of September 2017 and one box of the game is 17 USD. The cards are really shiny at the front. I hope the quality of the cards is good enough to be resistant to many plays. But I like it either way!

For me this game is thumbsup 8/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.