Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Weed
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Purchasing Items
Reading through the advanced rulebook I wasn't sure when heroes can actually purchase items.

From what I understand, at the end of a mission regardless of who won, each hero can say "i want item X" and roll the requisition number check to just get it for free.

Heroes also gain at least 100 credits (100=loss, 200=success, 300=overwhelming). But there's nothing that says when the heroes can spend these credits. Are credits ONLY spent on items? Can heroes purchase equipment only between missions or whenever they want?

Capturing items
I don't fully understand the capturing of items. The rulebook says you can claim one of any captured enemy spoils. I haven't gotten beyond the basic rulebook yet for missions, but do captured spoils happen often?

Is it a special activity to capture an enemy items? I noticed "modules" were on the list of viable spoils. Does this mean the heroes could gain another engine or other module and simply attach it to their ship? Are there additional rules around this? I could imagine the heroes making a real slapped together machine if they are able to gain modules often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Starchildren
msg tools
Items are purchased in between missions. They can purchase all the standard items (pg 75 - 76, and 80 - 81), including modules (3000 credits each).

Yes, capturing seems to happen often (in my games)
If enemies board the players' ship and are knocked out/killed/captured, then their gear is captured.
If the players' seize the enemy ship then it is captured, along with all the items the crew had.

Modules can be captured, and yes you'll start assembling a hodge podge of modules. Once the players have enough modules to build a bigger ship size (3 modules per size) then they can upgrade. They do need to meet some requirements (hyperdrive, helm, enough life support, and engines), but after that it's whatever they have on hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The spoils system comes from my impression of how soldiers have taken souvenirs from wars throughout history. Basically, they could plunder what they could carry but it was rare that a private soldier would be able to claim anything larger.

In First Edition, there were rules about prize money from capturing ships. (Horatio Hornblower novels are some of my favorite books). I ditched the prize money and bonus experience because it tended to turn every encounter into a boarding exercise because that was the only way to capture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
starchildren wrote:
Modules can be captured...

Jeff? Is this true?

How does this work? If a crew captures an enemy ship and wants to claim a module do they just do it? How many modules can be captured per mission?

Yes; questions.

Commodore Williams, out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
oklahoma city
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
also wanting to know about capturing modules as spoils.

in ours we have allowed the downgrading of modules to take the treasured modules ability and applying them to the heroes module on the ship. we have counted this as a spoils of war for one person. usually our engineer claims this. he is rather obsessive on making the best ship he can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.