Subject: Cell phone did something very weird, any explanations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Coney
Croatia
Zaprešić
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend I had to be picked up at the airport by a colleague I have never met. He sent me his cell number via email which I entered in my (non-smart)phone under his name. When I got there, it turns out I was missing a digit. I only had 9.

Fortunately, we found each other anyway. He later called me so I would have his number. When I told my Nokia to add the phone number to a contact, it said that the number was already in use for --- (the colleague's name). I entered it as a second number and when I compare them, one is indeed missing a digit, but the phone said the 10 digit number was the same as the 9.

I have no idea how this could happen.

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Some digits are optional or dropped if a country code is used. Mobile numbers here start with 04 locally, but 614 internationally (same number, 1 extra digit). In my phone they sometimes appear as 61(0)4, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
News International.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Stick with what works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can never get a straight answer to the question "How do I make an international phone call?"

I've asked, and was told, "Just type it in. My phone number is 0845 496 1679."
My phone needs a 10 digit number. You have 11 in yours.
"I have a freephone number as well-- 01204 693 900."
What the hell?! I can't start a call with a number that begins with 0.

"OK then, phone my personal number in London: +44 20 7946 0018"
And how am I supposed to do that?

"Easy-- Hit the + sign, add the country code, and then the number."
But my phone doesn't have a + sign....
(Your cell phone does, actually; you press the 0 key but hold it down and it turns into a +. If you still have a landline, though, God help you.)

Some Website wrote:
The number +44 20 7946 0056 is a (fake) British phone number shown in full international format. It would be dialed as follows:

From Australia 0011 44 20 7946 0056
From Canada 011 44 20 7946 0056
From France 00 44 20 7946 0056
From Russia 8 [pause] 10 44 20 7946 0056

Oh yeah-- that clears things up.
Do I have to press "1" first? "I don't see why you would..."
(sometimes you do, sometimes you don't.)

How come some numbers have 3 digit codes and others have four?
"That's how it is. When I press + on my phone, the code number automatically comes up."
(yeah, but I don't have your phone, do I?)

It's different in almost every country, and even within the same country. Take Britain, for instance.

(0161) xxx xxxx Manchester
(01223) xxxxxx Cambridge
(0153 96) xxxxx Sedbergh

Read through this wikipedia entry on the subject, and then tell me that you understand it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_the_Unite...

Back when there were phone operators, you called them (Dial "0" and wait for an actual person, who took your call) and asked them to place a long distance call for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.