Village Attacks» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dullahan Whiplash vs. Heroes and Yunfakh rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmb
The Whiplash ability says:
Your first {melee dice} slays an additional enemy of the same type.

So if you kill a peasant, you can kill an additional one in your zone.
If you kill a hunter, you kill an additional hunter.
It makes sense, as both villager types have 1 health.

But what happens if your first melee attack takes out an already weakened hero and there is an additional hero in the room? Do you deal one damage to the other hero? Because the wording of the ability right now suggests that you could take out for example the Executioner from his full 8 health with just one dice.

That said, are normal hunters and the Yunfakh both the same type? So would whiplash kill a Yunfakh if the first attack killed a different hunter?
The rulebook preview in WIP Wednesday #21 shows the following:
There are 3 known types of villagers:
1. Peasants
2. Hunters
3. Yunfakh Hunters
4. Town Heroes

Disregarding that it lists 4 types, this suggests that the two hunter types are separate, but that could create problems with traps from the base game not triggering with Yunfakh? So I'd assume that anything that affects all hunters truly affects all hunters, so Whiplash would treat both as the same?

Yet I got even more confused further down the same page, when Undead, Demon, Arcane etc. all are also referred to as the type of monsters, and heroes and hunters. So does Whiplash in the end not kill a second peasant alongise the first, but if it kills a Cursed Hunter, it will kill another Cursed type villager?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Gába
Slovakia
Marianka
flag msg tools
badge
Project: ELITE - the greatest realtime gaming experience of all times!
mbmbmbmbmb
No response so far? A pity...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmb
At least for the very first part of my question I found the answer in the playtest video they had posted during the Kickstarter. There the Dullahan deals 1 damage to one hero, then 1 damage to another hero.
But for the rest, no answer yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Gába
Slovakia
Marianka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melkathi wrote:
At least for the very first part of my question I found the answer in the playtest video they had posted during the Kickstarter. There the Dullahan deals 1 damage to one hero, then 1 damage to another hero.
But for the rest, no answer yet

Well, this makes me sad. I didn't receive the answers for my questions on FB, KS or here as well... I've invested over 400€ in two Grimlord projects, so I was expecting a different approach towards backers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmb
What was your question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Gába
Slovakia
Marianka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melkathi wrote:
What was your question?

FB: Hi! I've got a question: In Village Attacks, will there be some flavor text on the event cards (or any other cards?) - one KS backer had this idea and it was really appealing to me and other backers as well
thank you!

KS: (on an update on Endure the Stars, their earlier project that is coming to KS in October as a remaster) This is nice to hear! However, I have a big question here. Some abilities were fairly unbalanced in the original game. Do you plan on revisiting those as well? (I mean, you literally never played some abilities.) Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I hope for a bit more flavour with the events as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Carter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't remember if it was in an update or a random post in the comment section on kickstarter, but I remember Grimlord Games mentioning that they decided to include flavor text on some of the cards. I believe they were talking about the event cards, but I'm not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Gába
Slovakia
Marianka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onecarter wrote:
I don't remember if it was in an update or a random post in the comment section on kickstarter, but I remember Grimlord Games mentioning that they decided to include flavor text on some of the cards. I believe they were talking about the event cards, but I'm not sure.

I hope so! I think flavor text on events is an awesome idea! But still, if Grimlord would have answered, that would have been nice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
melkathi wrote:
The Whiplash ability says:
Your first {melee dice} slays an additional enemy of the same type.

So if you kill a peasant, you can kill an additional one in your zone.
If you kill a hunter, you kill an additional hunter.
It makes sense, as both villager types have 1 health.

But what happens if your first melee attack takes out an already weakened hero and there is an additional hero in the room? Do you deal one damage to the other hero? Because the wording of the ability right now suggests that you could take out for example the Executioner from his full 8 health with just one dice.

That said, are normal hunters and the Yunfakh both the same type? So would whiplash kill a Yunfakh if the first attack killed a different hunter?
The rulebook preview in WIP Wednesday #21 shows the following:
There are 3 known types of villagers:
1. Peasants
2. Hunters
3. Yunfakh Hunters
4. Town Heroes

Disregarding that it lists 4 types, this suggests that the two hunter types are separate, but that could create problems with traps from the base game not triggering with Yunfakh? So I'd assume that anything that affects all hunters truly affects all hunters, so Whiplash would treat both as the same?

Yet I got even more confused further down the same page, when Undead, Demon, Arcane etc. all are also referred to as the type of monsters, and heroes and hunters. So does Whiplash in the end not kill a second peasant alongise the first, but if it kills a Cursed Hunter, it will kill another Cursed type villager?

1. The wording of Whiplash is something that actually came up during more recent playtesting, and has been changed to this:

"Your first "melee" deals damage to another enemy of the same type" This clarifies the aforementioned issue regarding Town Heroes.

2. Normal Hunter and Yunfakh Hunters are both of the same category, which is Hunters. I can see where the confusion lies, and think it'll read better like this:

1. Peasants
2. Hunters & Yunfakh Hunters
3. Town Heroes

Regarding Monster and Villager types, they are not factored when deciding targets of abilities like Whiplash. The type is a modifier that adds a little something to the Villager and doesn't affect the Villagers fundamental status. Again, I can see that the confusion comes from the dual use of the word "type", so the simplest solution is to say that there are 3 different kinds of Villagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you, Adam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.