3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Ontario

Subject: OGG - Ottawa Games Group - Recap Wed, Sept 13, 2017 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a slow-to-arrive but great sized crowd at the Legion on Wednesday.

Tony, Dan (visiting from the Kanata group) and I started with The Voyages of Marco Polo. Dan was Kubilai Khan (giving him starting position in Beijing). Tony was Niccolo and Marco Polo (giving him two travellers and a camel at the start of each round). I was William of Rubruck (giving me 2 additional trading posts and allowing me to place trading posts as I move through any city). Dan took advantage of his position and placed a trading post in the "choose any bonus at beginning of round" city. Tony also took advantage of his two adventurers by travelling to two cities very early and securing their first arrival bonus. That put me behind the 8 ball but I soon got ahead of Tony on the Northern path. Dan got an early lead and stayed out ahead of the pack for the remainder of the game...doing a great job of travelling and using one of the bonus action spaces that allowed him to convert a gold and a camel into VPs. We allowed Dan to hit the Khan's Favor too many times and let him easily get the resources to fuel that action space. I made a big effort getting contracts completed and secured the bonus for most contracts. In the end, Dan far outpaced us with me taking 2nd.

Next, Dan taught us Arboretum, a game I own but is on my shelf of shame. This is a brainburner. Every choice is tough and every discard seems like a choice between all bad alternatives. I would say this is Lost Cities with a couple of extra dimensions and on steroids. Dan had a very compact tree with lots of opportunities to score and he had solid scores on Dogwood, Magnolia and Oak. I made a huge score on Cassia and another decent scoring on Maple but my tableau was very stretched out. Tony's was more compact than mine and he scored on Olive, Royal Poinciana and Willow. Dan's tableau earned him the victory while my Cassia-centric scoring was enough to give me second.

Finally, Frank and Danny joined us and taught us Between Two Cities. This is a tile drafting game with cooperative city building between neighboring players so that each player's score is the lowest of the two cities they contributed to. The scoring for each city reminded me a lot of Quadropolis and the point value progressions seemed thematically right. Tony's scoring was most consistent, with both of his cities scoring identically and pretty high. Unfortunately for him, Dan contributed to one of those cities and the city he built with Danny was the highest scoring. I too was consistent but not in a good way, having built the two lowest scoring cities. Lots of quick, easy fun and definitely a game I'd play again.

Lots of other great games were played. These included DVONN, Vikings, Bruxelles 1893, Suburbia,Automobiles, Through the Desert, Splendor and Ingenious.

I'll see you all next week and hope to see you at Kanata Con this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Le
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I went 3 for 3 that night ^_^.
It was my first time making it out to the Legion, which I've been meaning to do since moving downtown, but I hope I'll manage it more often going forward as it seems like a fun group (also has a few familiar faces).

All three games I managed to play were great. Always enjoy Arboretum; it has some great tough decisions for such a simple rule-set. It was my first time playing Between Two Cities. The cooperate with your neighbour to build a city is a cool interaction. It reminds me a lot of one of Daryl's prototypes if anyone knows what I'm talking about (maybe Pascal?).

Kanata Con tomorrow! Hope people can make it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danule wrote:
Kanata Con tomorrow! Hope people can make it out!

woot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.