Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

13 Minutes: The Cuban Missile Crisis» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PBF (no moderator) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Would anyone care to try this with me as a no-moderator, play-by-forum game? I think I have a system that'll work, based on no-moderator pbf games of Flamme Rouge by BGG user grautur.

Please understand that you will need to be open to using spoilers (so we just trust each other to reveal only when applicable), as well as open to playing a slower-paced game (even considering how quick of a game it is) as I may not be able to average even a post a day (one of the reasons that this is my first pbf attempt).

I'll try a game with the first person replying below, explaining my idea for a spoiler driven draw deck then. I should be able to post an updated battlegrounds pic after each of my turns so you have something to work from.

Thanks for considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play Soviet, if possible (10 Twilight Struggle games and 20ish 13M played as Soviet, so I can't mix up with the enemy )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Okay, cool!

Here's my thoughts re the draw deck... two spoiler lists (one from each player) are posted prior to beginning in order to create it.

Your post will have 13 individual spoilers, each with a header from A1 to A13, each hiding a randomly placed number from B1 to B13. My post following that will have the B1-B13 spoilers, each randomly hiding a full card name. So it takes both lists to draw a card, and neither player knows how the other's list was laid out.

For example (below), if A2 is chosen for a card draw during the game, it would reveal "B13" to that player. That player would then also reveal spoiler B13, to find that "U-2 Photographs (US)" is their drawn card. But only the fact that "A2" was chosen would be known by the opponent (and not what A2 or B13 revealed).

A constantly updated list of "still available to draw" A#'s can then be added to the bottom of our posts (such as: Still Available to Draw: A1, A3, A4... etc).

Example of your initial spoiler post:

A1
Spoiler (click to reveal)
B4

A2
B13

...A13
B8

Example of my spoiler post:

B1
ExComm (UN)

B2
Moscow is our Brain (USSR)

...B13
U-2 Photographs (US)

I think that'd work, but let me know if I'm missing something (very possible) or you have any questions.

Otherwise, feel free to post your initial A1-A13 spoiler list next and we'll get it started!

edit: ExComm should be US of course - hopefully I'll get 'em correct in the actual post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GThreepwood wrote:
I'd play Soviet, if possible (10 Twilight Struggle games and 20ish 13M played as Soviet, so I can't mix up with the enemy )

No rush (especially after my own disclaimer in the original post), but I realized I should've replied more specifically before... so just wanting to be clear, the Soviet side is yours if you want it, GThreepwood (although I must warn you to expect a blockade or two, maybe even military action, but hopefully no nukes).

Any questions or concerns re the draw deck set-up, don't hesitate to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rhino,
I'm having a busy weekend: do you mind waiting until monday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No problem at all, including if Monday etc doesn't work out. Thanks for letting me know, and apologies for the extra post, just wanted to clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, that should work, I don't seem to find any issues with the double-list system.

I'll post my A spoiler list in a few sec.
One last thing: I won't always have the phyisical game with me, do we have a list with all cards' effects and DEFCON icons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A1
B4

A2
B2

A3
B12

A4
B1

A5
B13

A6
B9

A7
B3

A8
B11

A9
B10

A10
B6

A11
B5

A12

B8

A13
B7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B1
Public Protests (US)

B2
Wave and Smile (US)

B3
U Thant (UN)

B4
MRBMs & IRBMs (USSR)

B5
Containment (UN)

B6
To The Brink (UN)

B7
Moscow is our Brain (USSR)

B8
U-2 Downed (USSR)

B9
ExComm (US)

B10
Fidel Castro (USSR)

B11
U-2 Photographs (US)

B12
Strategic Balance (USSR)

B13
Quarantine (US)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GThreepwood wrote:
One last thing: I won't always have the phyisical game with me, do we have a list with all cards' effects and DEFCON icons?

Yes, they're available here: 13 Minutes - PnP cards, which is what I'll be using for the battleground pics.

I'll draw my first two cards now, if that's all right, then spoiler my Initiative bid.

[to be continued. . .]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's go!

Are you from US? Different time zones may slow the game down a bit, but we're not in a hurry, are we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Okay, I drew A5 and A9.

My thinking on Cuba is we just let it be the final undrawn A# (so we don't actually assign it an A# now), but after drawing your opening two cards if you want to choose an additional A# now to be Cuba I'm fine with that too.

Here's my Initiative bid(s). I spoilered a couple of additional ones too, in case of ties.

My Initiative bid
0 cubes

In case of a previous tie:
1 cube

In case of two previous ties:
1 cube

If I win Initiative then:
I will go first.

If you won Initiative and choose to go first, then go ahead and describe your opening card/cube play, and of course don't forget (which I probably will at some point) to draw your replacement card as well.

Whew... if I missed something, don't hesitate to stop and ask.

Current prestige: US: 0; USSR: 0

Available cubes: US: 13; USSR: 13

Still available to draw: A1, A2, A3, A4, A6, A7, A8, A10, A11, A12, A13

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rulebook here with me, but I'm pretty sure that we're supposed to draw (and look) the 2 initial cards BEFORE bidding for initiative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GThreepwood wrote:
I don't have the rulebook here with me, but I'm pretty sure that we're supposed to draw (and look) the 2 initial cards BEFORE bidding for initiative.

Right, sorry I wasn't clear. I drew A5 and A9 and looked at both before making my bid(s). So definitely draw your two cards before making your bid and comparing it with mine.

Hope that works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A5 is B13
A9 is B10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I draw A2 and A13

CUBA is A1 (so it's not available anymore)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
still to draw

A3
B12

A4
B1

A6
B9

A7
B3

A8
B11

A10
B6

A11
B5

A12
B8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USSR bid for initiative

1st bid:
sugar sugar sugar

2nd bid:
sugar sugar

3rd bid:
sugar sugar sugar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorry, I didn't explain this well. But it's a new system so hope you'll forgive the hiccups and bear with me.

My thought is we never redo the A/B lists... we only "shuffle" the cards once, always referring back to our initial lists and never making new ones.

So I say I'm drawing A5 and A9... that's all you should know (although I realize since you made that list originally you may happen to recall what the B# was, but it won't matter because the B# will mean nothing to you since I made that list). But you shouldn't actually reveal A5 and A9 though. I then look to see what the B#'s are, get the cards, then note that A5 and A9 can no longer be chosen from our initial posts:

Still available to draw: A1, A2, A3, A4, A6, A7, A8, A10, A11, A12, A13

So then you draw two cards... A2 and A13. You refer back to the original posts and reveal the spoilers for both of those, then reveal the subsequent B# spoilers and get the cards. I never do anything with A2 and A13 (and especially can't know their B#s) once you let me know that you've chosen them. You then end your post with an updated "still available to draw" list (also minus Cuba now too):

Still available to draw: A3, A4, A6, A7, A8, A10, A11, A12

So we only do the A and B lists once. There might be a better way, but I'm not sure redoing the lists after each draw will work the same. Am I wrong? Either way, do you mind just using the original lists for this game and seeing how it goes?

Thanks for putting up with all this, especially my lame explanations, I appreciate it!

Oh... on more important matters... I bid 0 cubes, you bid 3. So USSR has Initiative and choice of turn order.

Current prestige: US: 0; USSR: 0

Available cubes: US: 13; USSR: 10

Still available to draw: A3, A4, A6, A7, A8, A10, A11, A12

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you thinking that every so often the person who did the A# list narrows it down to only the remaining available (without changing its remaining content at all)? Then the person who did the B list re-post the B list in full?

That might work, and would save us flipping back to the original lists. But unless I'm mistaken, there's no way for me (as the B list creator) to shorten the B list in the same way without intentionally or unintentionally seeing which cards are still available. So I don't want to risk that.

If you think you'd prefer to remove the taken A#s from your list (while keeping the remaining available A#s exactly the same), and have me re-post the full B List following it... we could try that. Might be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've simply copied/pasted the "A" list deleting the chosen cards, without changing the contents.
You know, just to have the list updated and near the latest post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhinoceros wrote:
Are you thinking that every so often the person who did the A# list narrows it down to only the remaining available (without changing its remaining content at all)? Then the person who did the B list re-post the B list in full?

yep, I think it's the smartest way
you can re-post the B list as it is, without removing the chosen ones.
]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sounds good!

Re your initiative win, will you play the first card or would you like me to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhinoceros wrote:
Sounds good!

Re your initiative win, will you play the first card or would you like me to?

you can go first

good luck mate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.