Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some play through videos where the player didn't want to attempt two temples on round 1 that required the same resource (torches or scrolls). Yesterday, when starting a solo game, I noticed the first temple for my legendary sword and shield both required scrolls. I really wanted to get started on the shield, but there was a quest card that aligned with the first temple on my sword track. I decided to go for both the sword and shield temples in round 1. I used a grotto to advance on one of the temple tracks in the Day phase. In the Night phase I was able to complete the sword temple to get the quest card completed, which gave me the Tome item (really helpful for learning spells). I was only one space from completing the shield temple, but had to Rest due to being low on both health and energy. It was easy enough to complete the shield temple in round 2 by visiting the grotto that advances a hero one space on a temple track.

Using this strategy, I was able to get both the sword and shield by the end of round 2, and also complete a quest card in round 1 to get an item that helped with learning spells. I used this same strategy to do two scroll temples on a later round, and had enough energy to push through and complete them both in the Night phase. So don't be afraid of doing two torch/scroll temples in round 1 if it aligns with your legendary items and available quest cards. Completing multiple scoring goals with one action is worth the risk, especially if the item to be gained from the quest card will help with the scoring goal (goblins/spells) you ignored by doing two temples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
I've seen some play through videos where the player didn't want to attempt two temples on round 1 that required the same resource (torches or scrolls). Yesterday, when starting a solo game, I noticed the first temple for my legendary sword and shield both required scrolls. I really wanted to get started on the shield, but there was a quest card that aligned with the first temple on my sword track. I decided to go for both the sword and shield temples in round 1. I used a grotto to advance on one of the temple tracks in the Day phase. In the Night phase I was able to complete the sword temple to get the quest card completed, which gave me the Tome item (really helpful for learning spells). I was only one space from completing the shield temple, but had to Rest due to being low on both health and energy. It was easy enough to complete the shield temple in round 2 by visiting the grotto that advances a hero one space on a temple track.

Using this strategy, I was able to get both the sword and shield by the end of round 2, and also complete a quest card in round 1 to get an item that helped with learning spells. I used this same strategy to do two scroll temples on a later round, and had enough energy to push through and complete them both in the Night phase. So don't be afraid of doing two torch/scroll temples in round 1 if it aligns with your legendary items and available quest cards. Completing multiple scoring goals with one action is worth the risk, especially if the item to be gained from the quest card will help with the scoring goal (goblins/spells) you ignored by doing two temples.

No-one says it's not a viable choice.
The thing is having 2 temples of the same symbol severely limits the number of sides of the dice you can actually use. So, unless luck goes your way, you're going to do less during the evenings for the same amount of health/energy loss. So it COULD pay off big. But no less really than completing 2 temples of opposite symbol types and with less average loss of energy/health. You could still get to both in your possession within the top of day 3 by completing different temples each time and using a grotto in the day for the second move on a legendary item if you had 2 temples for one item working on the same night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be worth it to attempt that especially if there is a quest at that location as well.

But, did you keep track of how many wasted torches you couldn't use? Saw the sword used torches instead, you likely would have completed both easily without using the grotto, and without taking as much damage.

Just saying it's a fine strategy that shouldn't be ignored (especially for the Book!), but often, splitting the dice up does make things safer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each die has the same odds of rolling a scroll or a torch (1/6). If you do one torch temple and one scroll temple together, you're just as likely to get too many of one symbol and not enough of the other as you are to get an even distribution of both symbols.

The main purpose of my post was to debunk the idea that it's "safer" or "better" to do a torch and scroll temple together instead of 2 torch or 2 scroll temples. While it "feels" better to do two different temples to make use of more symbols, the odds of getting the second symbol is the same as getting more of the first symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Each die has the same odds of rolling a scroll or a torch (1/6). If you do one torch temple and one scroll temple together, you're just as likely to get too many of one symbol and not enough of the other as you are to get an even distribution of both symbols.

The main purpose of my post was to debunk the idea that it's "safer" or "better" to do a torch and scroll temple together instead of 2 torch or 2 scroll temples. While it "feels" better to do two different temples to make use of more symbols, the odds of getting the second symbol is the same as getting more of the first symbol.

You're not correctly understanding the odds.
You roll 5 dice.
1 bad (goblin)
1 neutral (mushroom)
1 good (energy)
1 fist
1 torch
1 scroll

If the only useful sides to you are scroll and fist

That means you have for each dice
1/6 chance bad
1/3 neutral
1/2 good

If you have spread you bases (goblin and one of each temple type)
1/6 bad
1/6 neutral
2/3 good

So each time you roll (until you of course complete one need) your odds are better that for the amount of bad you put up with, you'll do more good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you had both by night 3?

You could have, on night 1, completed all of 1st temple on sword and all but last space on temple 2 of your sword. Gotten your quest. Then on day 2 complete last Temple step for sword to have it on night 2. Then did the same with the Shield, again, having both by night 3.

Of course it's down to luck of the roll. Your method could be better if you go 'torch happy' with your rolls one night then 'map happy' the next. But, it seems odds seem better if you can go for both instead of needing so many of 1 kind.

Using this method I usually gave my Shield for night 2. Like your example though if a quest is up that aligns with a different Legendary item I'll usually shift which one I'll go to too.

Glad it worked out for you though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:

Yes, it is. But that actually is not what matters.

Let's look at rolling two dice:

To roll two scrolls, you need to roll a scroll on both dice.

To roll a scroll on the first dice and a torch on the second has the exact same probability. But you could also roll a torch on the first, and a scroll on the second.

So, with two dice, an even distribution is twice as likely as rolling two torches. And the difference gets bigger with more dice involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

Yes, it is. But that actually is not what matters.

Let's look at rolling two dice:

To roll two scrolls, you need to roll a scroll on both dice.

To roll a scroll on the first dice and a torch on the second has the exact same probability. But you could also roll a torch on the first, and a scroll on the second.

So, with two dice, an even distribution is twice as likely as rolling two torches. And the difference gets bigger with more dice involved.

Good point. Looking at the combinatorial odds makes diversification more desirable. Of course, in a small data set, the normal odds don't always happen. For example, in round 5 of this game I needed only scrolls, but rolled a ton of torches and no scrolls for the first 4-5 rolls. If each night phase involved 100+ rolls, going with the odds would make sense every time. But the small number of rolls each Night phase means you could get a really skewed result. That's why it's nice to be able to spend Energy to mitigate abnormal dice results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, most of the time you'll be better splitting your heroes between different symbols, so that every roll benefits you (until you complete something) rather than needing to get a stack of the same symbol, but if you have a strong reason for doubling up on something, you're better off doing so than staying split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.