Tikal» Forums » Rules

Subject: Alternative bidding mechanic for the auction variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ray zoo
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
I've never played the game so my question might seem dumb.

I looked through the auction variant rule and it seems like it would make the game significant longer (<--- Correct me if I'm wrong). I was wondering if using bidding mechanic like the bidding track from Five Tribe would speed things up a little?

I can imagine that after the first player selected and place the tile, the 2nd highest bidder might no longer wish to pay what it originally bid. Anyone tried this? How about using the Power Cards from El Grande?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
The point to realise is that once you decide to use auctions in this game, the amount of calculations people will attempt to perform in their heads will skyrocket irrespective of the method you chose. In other words, it's 'having an auction' that lengthens the game, not the type of auction. So I really see little point in adapting other auction systems.

I also see little point in using an auction save for, perhaps, the 2 player variant rules you can find in the files section... but that's a neverending story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ray zoo
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the original auction rules are fine. They make the game long, but also make the game more interesting and less luck dependend. I would not play without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.