Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Which big box you recommend? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
i dont have any of the big box expansions, i have all the smalls ones except the devastate cities one,

if i were to get one more, which one would u recommend?

i like challening bosses,so that's why i passed the first two big boxes, people said they were too easy and the board kind of clunky? or im mistaken?

is dreamlands the best to get? (hard atlach nacha and the best implemented bonus map?,i dont have any)

pass on the small one i miss or not?

does any of the big box add new interesting mechanics/gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got Dreamlands first, did not regret. Hypnos and Atlach-Nacha are interesting Ancient Ones, and the encounters are interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone has their preference. The expansions are all very similar. They are all just new AOs, Investigators and additional cards for the current decks. Pick whatever theme most interests you and you cannot go wrong. There are no "bad" expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Long
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're all good. I got MoM because it's one of my favorite Lovecraft stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
Everyone has their preference. The expansions are all very similar. They are all just new AOs, Investigators and additional cards for the current decks.
This is not accurate. There are expansions that add new mechanisms. It's true that - by and large - you get more Investigators and more AOs plus the cards necessary to add the "theme" expansion, but to ignore the introduction of Focus, Talents, Unique Assets, Devastation, Dream Portals, Impairments, etc, etc, is to undersell the value of adding expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newobj wrote:
I think they're all good. I got MoM because it's one of my favorite Lovecraft stories.

Agreed. I think MoM gets dismissed around here, but if you like the story, I think it does a pretty good job with it.

However, the OP does prefer challenging AOs, so Dreamlands, then Pyramids, then MoM makes the most sense for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newobj wrote:

I second this.

mccrispy wrote:
Sindriss wrote:
Everyone has their preference. The expansions are all very similar. They are all just new AOs, Investigators and additional cards for the current decks.
This is not accurate. There are expansions that add new mechanisms. It's true that - by and large - you get more Investigators and more AOs plus the cards necessary to add the "theme" expansion, but to ignore the introduction of Focus, Talents, Unique Assets, Devastation, Dream Portals, Impairments, etc, etc, is to undersell the value of adding expansions.

The expansions are are very similar except for their theme. Some of them add some minor mechanics but you really cannot go wrong with any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Sindriss mentioned, there is no "bad" big box. Its just a matter of perspective. IMO :

Mechanics wise : Dreamlands > UtP > MoM
Dreamlands has a variable setup for the Dream Portals and both GOO's sync well with the sideboard too.

UtP for centralize and easy access, with most mysteries solved at the sideboard itself so its kinda thematic. Plus Abhoth has a new mechanic of drawing encounter cards while facing its Cultists, so its something for the players to explore. I believe some will rate UtP higher than Dreamlands mechanically, and I'm OK with that.

Elder Things GOO's mysteries are not only generic, but it can be solved outside of the Antartica sideboard as well (for me, I would prefer to explore the sideboard as much as possible if I play one). Ithaqua GOO is bloody annoying as heck with its Hypothermia condition, and it feels like a damn chore.

Difficulty wise
(hardest being no.1) : UtP > Dreamlands > MoM
UtP's mythos/condition cards are punishing as they contain quite a number of impairment tokens. You have to use the investigators in the expansion itself to stand a better chance of winning.

Dreamlands is a decent challenge, but the investigators in this expansion (I rate this set of investigators the best among the 3 big expansions) are good at handling gates and healing, and a few of them start with good assets too.

MoM is probably the easiest, as most of the Antartica locations have really beneficial local actions such as gaining free clues, trading a clue for artifact, training your investigators for free, etc. You can get loads of Artifact if you just park your clue-rich investigator at the City of Elder Things to make him/her a super artifact collector lol.

Flavour wise: Up to you, the player! Some people like exploring the cold Antartica's MoM, some like to dwell in the cat-living Dreamlands, and some like to tackle the mysterious Dark Pharaoh and hang around Egypt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just John
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Behind every fear, is a person you want to be.
mbmbmbmb
kazuki85 wrote:
Like Sindriss mentioned, there is no "bad" big box. Its just a matter of perspective. IMO :

Flavour wise: Up to you, the player! Some people like exploring the cold Antartica's MoM, some like to dwell in the cat-living Dreamlands, and some like to tackle the mysterious Dark Pharaoh and hang around Egypt.

This was ultimately what tipped the scale for me. I thought about Dreamlands and was dead set on it for my first big box, but the idea of being able to travel to the moon of my own free will just didn't sit well with me. It might seem silly to some, but that was the deciding factor. I went with mysterious Dark Pharaoh's and digging up the past for answers. No regrats. I still might get Dreamlands, but MoM and potentially the next expansion will probably make it a tough decision all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstringer wrote:
pass on the small one i miss or not?

Cities in Ruin adds a great mechanic, and if you want a challenging AO, Shudde M'ell is right up your alley. I definitely recommend getting that one.

As for big box expansions, I don't have anything to add further than my predecessors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeOfEarl wrote:
Shudde M'ell is right up your alley. I definitely recommend getting that one.

Thank you!

The next game I see with a Duke of Earl, I'll be sure to recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.