Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Guy
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried the strategy of not covering the main board except for the lower left corner for a slight income boost and then the (-1) spots. My logic is that if you fill the whole main board then you are using so many useful tiles to cover up spots but not getting any points for it. Of course, the puzzle is that you can't cover the income spaces so you need zig-zaggy tiles to line up along either side of the diagonal.

There are some good special tiles for that, including the big axe and the two cross-shaped ones (I don't own the game so I don't know what they are really called).

One time it worked well and I won the game with a score in the 90s - I made sure to get a good income island early since I wasn't using the main board for income. Another time I got second place to a player who had a huge income so it was definitely a drawback to this strategy to lose the main board income.

Any one else try this? Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the great parts about this game is how finely balanced the various routes are.

You can be successful and score well by filling up your home board. You can be successful and score well by mostly ignoring your home board (beyond filling in most of the negatives at the end).

I primarily play solo and it at least is very true there. In general the exploration boards provide better bonuses than the home board, and so focusing your time on exploration boards only to fill in the negatives on your home board right at the end can be a good strategy choice.

However in 3 and 4 player games I find there aren't enough exploration boards to go around, and so pretty much everyone should also be filling up their home board. I'm very hopeful that future expansions will include many more exploration boards which will really help out in this regard. (The mini expansion releasing at Essen soon should really help in this regard)

So I guess that's roughly where I stand on this. If you're playing solo, or maybe in 2 player, you can manage to just unlock 2 income on the home board and then ignore it until the final round when you try to fill in as many negatives as you can. If you're playing 3 or 4, you probably will not be able to win against an experienced player by not filling in your home board. I expect future expansions though will change this advice, as once there are enough exploration boards that they effectively aren't a limited resource than both strategies should be viable, even at higher player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Guy
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm curious, based on the comments above - what would be a minimum income to shoot for in the early turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are interesting questions I also have, and am never sure which strategy is best). I've played tons and tons of solo games (love the solo version), and it puzzles me how the game can feel so different almost each time.
There are times when the usable tiles pour in and it is easy to completely fill your home board. There are other times when usable tiles are as scarce as hen's teeth. ...I'm not sure I know why. (I guess the first 1 or 2 rounds really influence what you get for the remainder of the game.....)

I've done really well totally filling in the home board (that income and all those bonuses pay off like BIG TIME in the final couple turns), but again, it depends on what Master Fate throws your way. One or two key occupations do not hurt either...
I killed the game once with 4-5 immigration events; another time with more cattle than you could count.

It is a feast of options. It is such an interesting puzzle.

I tend to go for Iceland the most...not sure if that is wise or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gannon Dubay
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I like big boxes and I can not lie.
badge
Rochester, NY - Willing to Play!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my go-to strategy. I almost always spring for an island early, and try to get a second island as quick as possible, and use those as my income source. I rarely do much covering of the main board bottom left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wanted to go for 2 islands, but have been so scared of getting into that much debt. I guess I need to crawl out of my shell and go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Guy
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have yet to dare getting the second island. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's like some Viking is going to come up and stab us in the neck.

I mean....solo, already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.