Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Future campaign themes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Oytoyt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the core set includes the Yog sothoth, King in Yellow, Cthulhu and Shub card sets; and given Yog and TKIY are the themes of the first two campaigns, can we assume Cthulhu and Shub will be the themes of the next two campaigns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's been my assumption. I expect Cthulhu will be an Innsmouth-centric campaign. Shub, I'm not sure. I don't know of any HPL stories where she plays a significant role. Maybe there's something in the Arkham Files canon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd like to see a whisperers in darkness themed thing for shub. Mi-go abound!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Likely but not guaranteed - if they come up with something better, I wouldn't want them to abandon it just because a couple of Shub-Niggurath cards go to waste.

I'd like to see a proper time travel and/or space exploration story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doma0997 wrote:
I'd like to see a whisperers in darkness themed thing for shub. Mi-go abound!

I've been hoping for a mi-go campaign where the investigators start off by visiting the Akeley place in Vermont and wind up on a trippy, out of body outer space odyssey with at least one scenario where their respective brain cases are mixed up and suddenly Ashcan Pete is playing with Rex's deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mi-Go would be a Shub-Niggurath theme. Shub-Niggurath is explicitly invoked in "The Whisperer in Darkness," and the Mi-Go cards in Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game were all assigned to the Shub faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect/hope we eventually get a Dreamlands cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
I'd like to see a proper time travel and/or space exploration story.

I very much want a trippy Shadow Out Of Time adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see them saving Cthulhu for a cycle much farther in the future, but it would make sense looking at those sets from the Core.

I think they could do some neat stuff with a Nyarlathotep centered campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see Nyarly over Cthulhu tbh.

The Black Goat of the Woods seems to be heavily tied to Shub, and seeing as how the Sheldon Gang and bootleggers seem to operate out of the woods (at least in the Arkham Horror boardgame), I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something related to prohibition wars.

We get a bit of that with Dunwich, but they seem to like to mine that theme.

I would love to see the various Nyarly masks make an appearance though, so I would prefer Nyarly over the others.

Dreamlands is always an interesting choice as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Howard
msg tools
mbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
That's been my assumption. I expect Cthulhu will be an Innsmouth-centric campaign. Shub, I'm not sure. I don't know of any HPL stories where she plays a significant role. Maybe there's something in the Arkham Files canon?
I'm not familiar with how the Arkham Files does it, but Innsmouth is Dagon. Call of Cthulhu is more an investigation into a cult, mixed with some sailors who get lost in some non-euclidean geometry.

Personally, I wouldn't say no to some Mountains of Madness, Charles Dexter Ward, or Herbert West. The nature of the card game makes investigative gameplay more interesting than any of the other FFG Arkham games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also hope they broaden the canvas. Of course players are going to want the familiar locations and settings, but I'd like to see some original works, too. The PoDs have stepped outside the norm a bit, which is good, and Carcosa looks promising. Without the constraint of a set board, and even the possibility of new card types, there's a huge design space here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Charles Dexter Ward. Does that story appear in any FFG games?

Its easily my favourite and I think Curwen and the essential saltes would make for a great cycle. It is Yog again though, as far as I recall, but it would be the human enemies that made it interesting.

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's hoping we see a trip to the arctic at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Here's hoping we see a trip to the arctic at some point.

For Wendigo/Ithaqua and strange Eskimo cults?

Or do you mean antarctic as in Mountains of Madness and giant albino penguins?

Or something else entirely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Larsson
Sweden
Kiruna
flag msg tools
Black Stars Rise
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't surprise me if the next ones are Cthulhu and Shub'Niggurath.

I'm hoping for a campaign like Horror on the Orient Express. It would of course have to be shorter than its CoC counterpart but I think it would be fun to travel to different cities and settings as I very much enjoyed the Carnevale of Horrors PoD scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nukedisk wrote:
I'm hoping for a campaign like Horror on the Orient Express. It would of course have to be shorter than its CoC counterpart but I think it would be fun to travel to different cities and settings as I very much enjoyed the Carnevale of Horrors PoD scenario.

For a globetrotting campaign, I'd like one that passes through capitals of interwar Europe on the way to a climax in Egypt. An apocalyptic Nyarlathotep theme would work there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traversing Cities under siege by Shudde'Mell could be pretty rad too.

Or maybe a campaign exploring the relationship between the Elder and Outer Gods. Something truly cosmic in proportions. Hypnos vs. Atlach Nacha and Bast vs Nyarly. The investigators could be realizing that the battle is unstoppable and will either have to choose a side or simply work to get the humans as far out of the way as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
I would bet most of my salary on the next 2 being

A Shub based campaign - My bet would perhaps be that we go to the bayou again using the Rougaroux as a teaser, but even if its not then a forest based one, hopefully with alot of theming on monsters and alot of followers and the forest is important due to the Dark Youngs.

A Cthulu based one where im sure we will go to innsmouth. (Yes Innsmouth is Dagon, but hes not a big enough Ancient One in the Arkham Files universe to have his own campaign. Maybe he will be a guest appearance together with Mother Hydra)

Then for my hopes afterwards

A european Nyarlothep campaign that ends in Egypts sounds astonishing.

Then my personal favorite is a Central American/Amazon campaign focused around Yig, i can see so many cool options with a campaign like that.

A campaign focused on asia with Ithaqua and alaska as the final destination.

And finally a dreamlands expansion where we go through the dreamlands and stop the spider ancient one (sorry forgot the name) from Spinning her web.

Personally i really hope they dont go Azatoth at any point

OH and a cool idea for a PoD would be a scenario inspired by IT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Sqorgar wrote:
CSerpent wrote:
I'm not familiar with how the Arkham Files does it, but Innsmouth is Dagon. Call of Cthulhu is more an investigation into a cult, mixed with some sailors who get lost in some non-euclidean geometry.

Innsmouth is explicitly tied to Cthulhu and Deep Ones to his worship in the The Shadow over Innsmouth.

As far as the Arkham Files, both Father Dagon and Mother Hydra were Heralds in the original board game's Innsmouth expansion, sort of secondary old ones you could play in combination with the main old one to increase the difficulty. Wouldn't surprise me if a Cthulhu focused campaign treated them similarly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like the idea of the Yig campaign though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
I do like the idea of the Yig campaign though.

FFG does seem to like their Yig. Not me. I hate it when I draw him as the randomized GOO in other Arkham games. Just a big lizard guy. That's not scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But HPL's "The Mound" is really great. Yig is best as a marginal accessory to an enormous and ancient underground milieu accessed in ... Oklahoma?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
But HPL's "The Mound" is really great. Yig is best as a marginal accessory to an enormous and ancient underground milieu accessed in ... Oklahoma?

I'm actually not sure I've read that one. Some of his ghostwriting wasn't as available when I first got into him. I'll have to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I loved the Serpents sub-faction in Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game. But those I think owed more to Robert E. Howard ("The Shadow Kingdom") than to HPL. Still, as part of the Arkham Files, I think there's some real potential there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.