Subject: Games that scale well with well-implemented 1-player modes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Pugh
Canada
toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Lately I'm finding my teaching skills for games to be a bit lacking. I'll read a manual cover to cover and I'm always sure I've got everything down, but when it comes time to actually play it, I basically end up reading the entire manual to my friends which wastes everyone's time.

Looking for games that scale well but also have a really fun - and not too dissimilar - 1-player mode, so that I can play it on my own the first time and get all the rules down by actually playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Arce
Argentina
Rosario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

La Granja
Nations
Terraforming Mars
Ghost Stories
K2
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

At least from my collection those have a one-player mode written on the rules (so it's official) and it only changes a few small things but all of them i've used to learn the game. Hope it helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Autumn G
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I brought home Survive: Escape from Atlantis! last night, set it up, played a quick run-through on my own and my boyfriend and I were playing within a half hour. The manual is short and simple, while there is still a super fun and competitive complexity to the game. While it doesn't actually have a 1-player mode, it's easy enough to mock your way through a few rounds and get the gist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first suggestion is not to neglect the games you have already played. Sometimes the initial play through is rough, but once you stumble your way through you have a much better idea of how it's played and things go more smoothly the next time.

Also, many co-ops can be played solo with you controlling two players.

For something really simple but fun, Herbaceous is a lovely little game with just slightly different rules for solo mode.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig has a solo mode, however it is quite different from the multiplayer mode. Still, it would give you a feel for the general concept and setup is identical to setting up a game for 3 players. Solo will go much faster than playing with others though.

Also, I just found out there is a fan made solo variant for Roll for the Galaxy. I've been intending to try it out as this is one of my favorite games. RftG Bot file.

Firefly: The Game has several scenario cards, one of which is solo and plays very similar to multiplayer. This game is heavy enough that playing solo and learning the game on your own first would be a huge benefit.

And when your group is truly ready for an in-depth experience check out Mage Knight Board Game/ Star Trek: Frontiers. I would suggest playing this one several times solo before attempting to teach it, and even then teach it when you have about 6 hours of available time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Legendary family scales really well...in fact I prefer it solo. The same can be said for Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin and its ilk.

Nations: The Dice Game, La Granja: No Siesta, Roll Through the Ages: The Late Bronze Age are other good titles which play well with their solo variant. I did not include the popular cooperative games since you are essentially taking the place of other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renegade Pineapple
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia has a great solo mode, too. Bottom of the Ninth is a two-player game at max, but it's solo play is excellent. Both have great theme. If you want something more "Euro" I'd suggest Scythe; although the AI does not act like a Human player...so using it for practice may not be a good way to get better against other non dummy players. Viva Java: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game is also a nice quick solo experience with a tech tree and dice rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
My first suggestion is not to neglect the games you have already played. Sometimes the initial play through is rough, but once you stumble your way through you have a much better idea of how it's played and things go more smoothly the next time.

Also, many co-ops can be played solo with you controlling two players.

These. Whenever I want to teach someone a new game (whether it can be played solo or not) I play a full game with two separate players even if it's a competitive game. The point is to be able to explain why certain things work during the game like different combos/points/rules etc... but the only way to do this is play through and fumble a bit the first time by yourself. You'll have a lot of "ah ha!" moments once you execute different actions when they don't make sense when you read the rules initially. It makes it a much smoother experience once you teach it and should only have to refer to the rules occasionally and not have long 2-3 minute pauses each time someone asks you a question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much any co-operative game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Pugh
Canada
toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
Pretty much any co-operative game.

I should have mentioned that I'm not really looking for co-op games at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nemo's War (second edition)

but, if this is your problem, you eventually need to practice playing multiplayer against yourself, because that is the skill you need to grow ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture Essential Edition

You're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.