Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Waeber
United States
Milford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, trying to think about variants which can add interactivity without significantly unbalancing or distorting the system. The easiest one that I could think of was changing the system for selling goods for coins (which, let's be honest, was usually a pretty unexciting option, especially in a game which really wants you to build up infrastructure for moving forward).

Rather than having a random assortment of goods available to sell at the market for a fixed price, depending on the market card, that top option on the market card would always permit you to sell to the demand card. The demand card (the only new component in this variant) would have slots of decreasing value to sell the relevant goods in the era, so the players who sold particular goods to the market first would get better value for those goods than players who might sell those goods later.

[If you wanted to be super tricky, you could make the market demand be dependent on the number of farmers/citizens/merchants available on the board, but that would likely require some more development to actually execute. For now, I'm just trying to work up a "simple" variant.]

I think this would actually have a number of positive effects on the game. First, the weight of the point system right now pushes so hard toward infrastructure that selling goods is really only an unexciting safety valve when you need to clear some inventory space. This makes it a much more significant potential avenue for scoring. Second, it makes jockeying for start player more exciting in the later game, since having first opportunity to crack the market is more appealing. Third, it adds interactivity in that you care very much about who's likely to sell to the market first, who has what goods at what point, etc.... Fourth, it actually lowers the random factor of failing to find an available sale for your high value goods late in the game, if you don't have another use for them.

And finally, it's very simple to actually integrate this into the game. Just print off four demand cards (probably about a half-sheet each), and then ignore the top section of each market card, instead permitting a sale to the demand card on each.

There might be some rule kinks to work out (such as limiting sells to two types of goods, so you can't grab up all the best value spots in a single sale), but I think this is actually workable. Please let me know what you all think. I actually work in place where I have access to illustrator, photoshop, etc..., so I could put together a prototype for this market card, if there's adequate interest. Maybe I'll try to do that later today....

Input is welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Waeber
United States
Milford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is pretty preliminary, and I haven't done the work to make sure the boxes are the right size to actually place the goods on (my game isn't w/ me at the moment), but hopefully enough to give you an idea of the concept.

Input is still very welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popular Culture
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mb
Ill give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Waeber
United States
Milford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've finalized the project in PDF form. If you'd like a copy to try it out, zip me a geekmail. I'll send you an email w/ the PDF. Once I've tested it out a bit (and made sure I'm not violating any copyright stuff), I'll try to post in under files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.