Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

18Dixie» Forums » General

Subject: Does the Golden Spike version come with a mounted map, or is it laminated? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering picking this one up. The website isn't fully clear on whether the board is mounted or laminated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Golden Spike produces Deep Thought games so you get the same production they use. Presently it's a nice heavy quad-fold mounted board. Not laminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
At one point GS/DT offered laminated boards but they started having quality issues with their supplier and were unable to find an acceptable replacement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Correction: they offered lamination on their various mounted boards but ran into material supply problems. Since then their mounted boards have been unlaminated.

GSG does offer laminated unmounted boards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Heuer
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
All maps for games that Golden Spike Games (GSG) produces for priority orders that you order directly from GSG are the nice new mounted quad-fold maps. These are high-quality maps, not the older-style DTG maps mounted on foam-core pouchboards.

In the past the DTG map options were:
* Unmounted (just printed on nice paper), either folded or cut

* Mounted Pouchboard maps. These are mounted on foam core 11x17 pouchboards that are hinged to fold in half. Most games have two boards to be set side-by-side, but some smaller games were on a single board.

* Laminated Pouchboard maps. These were the same as the mounted pouchboard maps, but with a laminate sheet on top of the board. These were discontinued because the supplier changed the pouchboards and we could no longer get the laminate sheet to mount to the board without the laminate being very cloudy.

About five years back we added the new option:
* Mounted Quad-fold maps. These are the nice maps on a large folding board. This is all that GSG normally makes.

You can still order (and I can still make) the old foam-core mounted maps that DTG used in the past. DTG allows you to order any of the game options mentioned above except the one discontinued one. There are a few folks that still prefer the old foam-core maps, but almost everyone wants the new mounted quad-fold maps and that is what you get if you order a game directly from GSG.

If anyone has further questions feel free to contact me directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.