Fascinating read, on Trumps immigration rhetoric on the campaign trail, versus the reality (and wisdom) of instituting more hard line policies. And in some instances, debunks Trumps claims made on the campaign trail.
Gist of the article implies it will be extremely difficult, if next to impossible to;
a) build the border wall (and even questions the wisdom of doing so)
b) increase staffing at ICE and CBP, since they already have issues attracting employees, including obvious increased budgets required
c) there is no real refugee problem, despite Trump portraying this during the campaign
d) indicates it is extremely difficult for refugees to enter the U.S. now, so questions what "extreme vetting" might entail, that is not already captured in the application process
e) measuring success of any programs instituted will be difficult, as illegal immigration is obviously an underground affair, with numbers difficult to quantify
The paper does also clarify some stats that debunk some of the campaign trail rhetoric that Trump floated in the elections namely;
• The number of unauthorized immigrants in the United States has not been increasing, it has been decreasing since the Great Recession and has not rebounded.
• The number of Mexicans has been decreasing as a proportion of the total population of unauthorized immigrants in the U.S.
• More than half of all deportations in recent years have been of people with criminal convictions.
• The number of miles of the southwest border that have some sort of barrier has risen in recent years, as has the number of Customs and Border Patrol agents.
• The number of immigration enforcement officers has increased significantly in recent years.
• As for public safety, in the past 40 years, the number of people killed by foreign-born terrorists in the United States was 3,423 – most of whom (88 percent) were killed in the 9/11 attacks.
All points in the paper would indicate that Trump has a LONG road ahead, in making his immigration policy promises come true.
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
He [b IS [/b]going to build a wall just before the next election - It's just going to be around the White house instead to keep the current inhabitants in.
- Last edited Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:02 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:01 pm