BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game for Long Distance Relationship? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anna Weaver
United States
flag msg tools
Hi!

I'm looking for a game that I can split with my boyfriend. The only games that I can think of that have a separate board for each player are Battleship and Guess Who but those are rather boring. We may eventually move on to classic long distance games like chess, but that requires each of us to have our own complete board - not the romantic feel I'm going for right now. I'm not interested in online games.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
over the phone? webcam? play in one active session or over a long period of time sharing your move via text or whatever?
edit add: oh and any opinions on type of game? are you guys really competitive? want something complex or more relaxing?

some that work well:
Smash Up- you can actually get away with buying different sets if you use a webcam or read the cards out well enough. Though probably easier if you both have the same stuff as you can just quickly set up your own set as whatever they call out playing.
Hive - easy to set up a turn by turn talk via texting pictures
if your loose with the structure of the card count, deck builders work well too like Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Karuba is the first game that came to my mind.

edit: also any Roll and Write games that use standard dice would work, too.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might want to delve into finding some games that you like than see what ones will work over long distance.

Personally, the Skype/Facetime route is the best way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilcox
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked into any of the online board gaming sites? Here are the four that I am most familiar with. Combined with any voice or video chatting it is almost like being together.

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/

http://www.yucata.de/en

http://www.boiteajeux.net/index.php?p=regles

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamelist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not interested in two copies of the game, that definitely limits your options. Playing via webcam might work, and in that case, you could play just about any game that doesn't have hidden player info (like a hand of cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a Roll & Write game? For instance, you could both play La Granja: No Siesta or Rolling Japan and fill your own scoring sheet.

You could also try Machi Koro by splitting up the buildings available in the common market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The recently released NMBR 9 could work for you.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My dad played a game of long distance [=chess][/] via US mail during the Korean War with one of my aunts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea would be a pnp like Good Little Martian. Basically, one player is supposed to be on Earth trying to get a space shuttle to Mars while the other is on Mars trying to survive until the shuttle arrives. It is not a multiplayer solitaire as one player's action can impact the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

edit: also any Roll and Write games that use standard dice would work, too.

~V

Roll and Write games would definitely be ideal for your situation.

Scattergories - you would only need one copy if you two split the components up.
Yahtzee - you can print score sheets online or buy them and it's simple enough to get 5 dice for each of you.
30 Rails - This is nice because it wouldn't require any shipping, each of you would just print a sheet off and as long as at least one of you has two dice you're all set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Pasqualetto
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Check out online game arenas like Tabletopia or Tabletop Simulator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Dorito
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
badge
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Tabletop simulator. You can then play thousands of games with your boyfriend or anyone remotely.

Usually go on sale for $10. Happy gaming meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the thousands of games accessible through Vassal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.