4 Posts

Mistborn: House War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Interaction between Obligator and Con Artist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Mathis
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We had a question come up last night in our first game. Someone played Con Artist to take all of the favor, while someone else tried to counter it with obligator. We ruled that obligator would not help in this scenario, but I'm asking here hoping maybe someone can help definitively answer how the two interact.

If obligator doesn't help after con artist is played, would it help "before" con artist is played?
If obligator doesn't help either before or after, what are some real world use cases because at least in my game, there wasn't a lot of "I'll help but you need to play a future card to help me" type of scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topwebcomics wrote:
If obligator doesn't help either before or after, what are some real world use cases because at least in my game, there wasn't a lot of "I'll help but you need to play a future card to help me" type of scenarios?

The only thing the obligator does is make something that would normally be non-binding and make it binding. Giving favor as part of a deal is already binding, so obligator doesn't affect it (and thus does not impact Con Artist). Obligator is for non-favor related promises.

If no one is making long term deals, there is not as much point to obligator). Similarly other cards are only useful if people are actually playing non-lasting personalities, so if that doesn't happen much, that card is less useful. In my first game there were very few collaborative deals made (people mostly had what they needed to go it alone).

One use of obligator if people aren't making deals is with threats. Threaten to sink someone's important deal (by increasing cost or killing their personalities) in exchange for making them promise not to attack you. Then hit them with obligator if they agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowen Jacobs
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topwebcomics wrote:
We had a question come up last night in our first game. Someone played Con Artist to take all of the favor, while someone else tried to counter it with obligator. We ruled that obligator would not help in this scenario, but I'm asking here hoping maybe someone can help definitively answer how the two interact.

If obligator doesn't help after con artist is played, would it help "before" con artist is played?

You ruled correctly. The Obligator makes the terms of the deal binding, but the con Artist bypasses the deal completely. Note that the Obligator still makes other aspects of the deal binding. For example, we make a deal where I give you half the favor and on your next turn you give me 2 of your resources. Then I play obligator and con artist. I steal all the favor, despite what was promised, and you still have to give me resources on your turn.

Quote:
One use of obligator if people aren't making deals is with threats. Threaten to sink someone's important deal (by increasing cost or killing their personalities) in exchange for making them promise not to attack you. Then hit them with obligator if they agree.

That is brilliant! Normally the Obligator doesn't see much use but the next time I get it I'm totally going to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mathis
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks everyone! I look forward to using the obligator in that fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.