8 Posts

Mistborn: House War» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How to counter unrest strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Mathis
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First couple turns in our first game (4 players), each of us got about 5 favor each.
One of our players sunk us at the last moment and got 7 discord (whatever the negative points are called).

From that point forward, 3 of us were competing with the highest, 1 of us getting more and more negative.

What is the best strategy to help with that? I kept getting points because we all kept hoping Vin would show up, and ended up losing in 2nd place with 19 points (discord person had negative 20ish) while the two other committed favor people had closer to 40. I could have played a card to go down to 11, but that was it.

The biggest struggle IMO was the fact that it was relatively easy to give out a small amount of disfavor, but nothing to force the guy to get favor, so I'm wondering how do people handle this scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. A.
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are events that allow you to assign favor. You would usually want to assign it to yourself, but you can technically assign it to anyone, including whoever is trying to win by revolt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can also all agree to join together and solve problems that lower unrest on a success. It will extend how long you can go before the revolt hits and make it more likely the high points player wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowen Jacobs
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of little things to consider that can have small differences that add up to make a big difference. Here are a few to think about:

Try to not end up in the middle of the pack with your Favor/Disgrace. Either go for Favor or go for Unrest but try to decide quickly as soon as you get a feel for how that particular game is going and your current score. If, halfway through the game, you're stuck with a middling score, then use it to your advantage. Leverage it to convince other players to give you a greater percentage of the Favor/Disgrace so that you can catch up, of refuse to help if they don't.

In the particular scenario you described, make deals with the players rooting for the Final Empire. Offer to give them resources and all the favor for deals and in return make them promise to give you disgrace tokens when problems erupt on their turns and help you catch up to the other rebel-player.

If you have nothing worthwhile to do on your turns then pass and draw a Personality card. A bunch of personality cards can get you a few points of disgrace at the end of the game, and there are a few (provocateur, Elend Venture, Layn Buvidas, etc) that can really help you get ahead in the Race for Disgrace. Plus there are many others that you can play to muck with your competition or bribe the players still loyal to The Lord Ruler. Also, a well stocked hand of Personality cards is VERY helpful when it comes to preventing other players from solving Vin when she comes out.

If all else fails and you find yourself in the middle of the pack, then remember the strategy that the heroes employed in the Well of Ascension. You may not be able to win, but you can probably decide who does win by throwing your support in with them. Play favorites in exchange for out of game (or even next game) rewards and make the most of it!

Good luck, and whatever tactics you employ, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhamin wrote:
You can also all agree to join together and solve problems that lower unrest on a success. It will extend how long you can go before the revolt hits and make it more likely the high points player wins.

I didn't think there were ANY way to lower unrest once it's been gained. What events are you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowen Jacobs
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
Jhamin wrote:

I didn't think there were ANY way to lower unrest once it's been gained. What events are you talking about?

You are correct, there aren't any problem cards that lower Unrest, and there are very few Personality cards that can do it (only 1 or 2, I think). Typically the Unrest goes up but never comes back down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herowannabe wrote:
You are correct, there aren't any problem cards that lower Unrest, and there are very few Personality cards that can do it (only 1 or 2, I think). Typically the Unrest goes up but never comes back down.

Which personalities? I thought I read that there was no way to reduce unrest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowen Jacobs
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:

Which personalities? I thought I read that there was no way to reduce unrest.

Layn Buvidas is the one that springs to mind. Her Ally ability lets you reveal her to increase or decrease the Unrest by 1.

Like I said, there might be one other Personality card that can do it, but if so I can't recall which one it is right now. I'd have to search through all the cards and check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.