Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I was thinking of adding in some escalation packs for the factions, in your experience what is the best way of including them?

Also, with multiple code sets, can I introduce extra sets of red, blue and yellow nodes, without unbalancing the game?

It seems weird that the escalation packs include control nodes, but not the red, yellow and blue nodes to compliment them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way to use escalation packs is probably just to mix them in with the race's other components and leave them mixed in. Make sure all the races have the same number of ships and nodes, I guess, but unless you've lost pieces, or buy escalation packs for some races and not others, they should be.

The escalation packs come with 15 ships and 5 control nodes. The core game and faction packs come with 30 ships and 10 control nodes for each race. If you do end up getting a second core set, you'd have to either get a second copy of the faction packs, get 2 of each faction escalation pack, or leave some ships and nodes for the core races out of the game.

You can absolutely add more red, yellow, and blue nodes without affecting game balance. I don't think they're really meant to be component limited at all, and the faction packs add more.

It is a little weird that the escalation packs don't come with nodes, but I guess they want to keep them cheap and compact. I wouldn't be surprised if they release a nodes pack someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Lou, have played it several times three player, and have just hit the buy button on eBay to get the Ferengi and Cardassians, they should be cool.

So basically, the general rule is to give each player access to a similar number of ships and control nodes, makes sense.

I would have to invest in escalation sets for Ferengi and Cardassians, but not the original sides if I had two cores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
extra core sets and expansions arent really necessary unless you want to play in a huge universe.

extra resource nodes arent necessary as well, you get enough nodes to build up each planet to the full while its rare to see that happen so extra nodes are useless unless you have extra planets somehow.

at first i considered buying an extra core set but given each expansion comes with extra planets, it would be a bit silly to have each planet double. im sure with a few more player expansions you can get a huge universe without doubling up.

extra ships and control nodes on the other hand are necessary to cover the bigger galaxy. i plan on buying 2 sets for each race. i so hope some day we might see different ship designs for each race.

the only expansion i might get double is the borg, 6 cubes seems a bit few once the galaxy grows to 6 or more players.

the only thing missing with extra ships is extra fleet cards and stands.

im really happy how GF9 arranged the expansion and core contents in that it fits the bill about right ie is balanced, no need to double on some useless components to get enough of another. kudos for them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely plan on looking at more than one Borg expansion as well. I'll have to play it first, but it seems that 6 is way to few for larger games. I will be curious to see how it plays out. Definitely think that they went a little cheap on the ships in that one. I would have expected at least 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Hahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There will be a node pack available soon - just like the ship packs these will contain a couple of nodes in the 3 different colors :>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So am I right in saying that with one core and the Ferengi and Cardassian packs you will have enough red yellow and blue nodes to cover any and all eventualities? Every system at full development? (With all eventualities for free spots as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually sat down with the game one day and figured out whether you could put nodes on every planet in the game. With or without the expansions, you almost can. Like, close enough that it will never come up. IIRC, culture is completely covered, research is missing like 3 nodes, and production is missing like 8. That's not accounting for open nodes.

I could see this MAYBE being a problem with the base game, but with the expansions, there are so many planets you're never going to place them all.

I agree that the production, research, and culture nodes are not meant to have a component limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardassians come with 7 red, 7 blue, and 5 yellow buildings.

Ferengi come with 9 red, 7 blue, and 3 yellow buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcturus2006 wrote:
So am I right in saying that with one core and the Ferengi and Cardassian packs you will have enough red yellow and blue nodes to cover any and all eventualities? Every system at full development?

i did a quick check;
core has
23 production slots for 25 nodes
11 culture slots for 18 nodes
16 research slots for 20 nodes
6 open slots

ferengi;
12 production slots, 9 nodes
2 culture slots, 3 nodes
6 research slots, 7 nodes
2 open slots

cardassians;
7 production slots, 7 nodes
4 culture slots, 5 nodes
6 research slots, 7 nodes
2 open slots

so except for the ferengi expansion (was a bit surprised with the count), all have more nodes than slots, and only in exceptional situations would you run out.
given 2 planets may get destroyed by exploration cards and others might not be put into play and nodes get destroyed in invasions, it should be rare to run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
I definitely plan on looking at more than one Borg expansion as well. I'll have to play it first, but it seems that 6 is way to few for larger games. I will be curious to see how it plays out. Definitely think that they went a little cheap on the ships in that one. I would have expected at least 10.

Considering how the game ends with a win for the Borg if you are required to place a seventh cube but can't...I don't think you'll need a second Borg expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS rep called me up very excitedly to say he now had the extra ship packs, since I usually buy all the expansions for games I like. But he was disappointed when I didn't want them. I see no reason to buy the extra ship packs at all. (The core rules book itself does say to add them equally for all players if you do use them).

This is not Risk. Its clear that the original number of fleets and ships is a hard limit in the core game design. In larger games, players are supposed to be dominant numerically only in a limited number of systems; not spread all over a huge play area in a larger player number game of 4+. This is also reflected in the military victory condition requiring only control of your own Home system and two others.

My house is full of games and toys, but I see no need for the extra STA ships at this point. For me, extra ships would actually break the intent of the game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.